Do You Weigh Pre-Packaged Food, Like a Slice of Bread?

Options
124»

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh slices of bread. Variations are more likely due to moisture content not product.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I dont, I never did when I was losing, and Im really trying to get away from logging as much as possible while maintaining. I weigh calorie dense foods still, but I dont wanna get into the habit of feeling like I have to
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh since some come over and some come under. Sample average = close enough to population average for me
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I don't weigh slices of bread. Variations are more likely due to moisture content not product.

Trust me, with the Udi's gluten free bread? You can see the difference in the thickness of the slices! It's not just moisture.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »

Trust me, with the Udi's gluten free bread? You can see the difference in the thickness of the slices! It's not just moisture.

I haven't tried Udi's yet...but I'm now in prime Udi's country, they started up in Boulder, I think. I might get some to nom.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weigh everything!

For a couple of reasons

1. I dont eat the whole loaf or whole package on my own. My husband eats the same as me. so it wont even out for me.
    2. i learned that sometimes the difference can be a lot. cheesecake 43 more calories than label said. Taco 30 more calories the label said. Avocado dip cup serving 23 than the label said. Slice of bread 15 more than the label said. etc lol eat this all in one day and you have a whopping 111 calories wrong.... i rather eat something for those (lost/not logged) calories.
    3. I need to know how much nutrition i get ( i am on a program so everything get registered as accurate as possible).
    4. For now accuracy and the data i get makes me consistent and losing weight, so why fix what isnt broke..or what is working perfectly.
    5. I weigh my herbs and spice too, because it is important for me to know how much nutrition i get ( potassium too) and herbs and spices have a lot of potassium. So everything is important for me.

Now i do ( and i will myself later on when i am at maintenance) understand that some people dont weigh everything ( anymore) They dont need their deficit, or have a big deficit and dont notice it ( yet)
    And that is no problem

But i do address to the people here who start out, ask for help or say i dont lose weight...that they weigh EVERYTHING. And not use cups and spoons or serving sizes. This because you are never gonna get your diary a 100% accurate. And they need to learn the habit and open their eyes for what is going on....for example the guessing and eyeballing they think is not bad for their diet...well it is..they wiped out their deficit. So the learning process and keep pointing out to "new" people to make this a habit. Also to tell them cups and spoons and serving sizes can be wayyyyyyyy off and to address use your scale. It also make no sence to me to put your plate on the scale...weigh your meat..put your potato on it and weigh that...and than do a cup of veggies???? why not weigh the veggies, you were weighing anyway. Because they are low in calories? Not every fruit veggies is low in calories. Not every cup filling is the same. So i tell them, weigh it!!!

And yes when i have a big deficit some days...i dont weigh my protein bar or that one slice...but i know it can be off. But i am not wiping out my deficit with this. Just because 99% get weighed on the scale.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    @TheOwlhouseDesigns Very well said!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    @TheOwlhouseDesigns Very well said!

ty :) i try in my baby English lol

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So you weighers totally trust the companies to be 100% accurate on the calories per gram calculation but doubt their ability to weigh their product.

Like someone else said, I'd rather underestimate by 20% than by 25 or 30% because I didn't bother weighing my food.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How about this - if one of you has WAY too much time on your hands**, maybe tell us the average of some of these weighed items that are perceived to be standard. Like bread slices. Over a period of about six months. Not something with clearly irregular shapes and sizes, something more standardized like your 88 cent plain white bread or individually wrapped cheese slices

**Not a dig by the way. I would totally run the calculation if I had the data but I do tend to favor this kind of thing :)
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weigh almost everything. I used to use measuring cups and spoons and I found out that my "1 Tablespoon" spoon from my measuring spoon set was actually 1 1/2 Tablespoons! That makes a lot of difference with calorie dense food like peanut butter. I have noticed fairly large differences with packaged food like bread, too.

I saw a thread here a couple of months ago where someone said that they worked at a food company and that they never sent out items that were a little bit too low in weight, so if they erred, it was on the side of a little bit too much - so it doesn't actually all even out in the end even if you are the only person eating from that loaf of bread, for example. A "little bit too much" can easily add up to 200+ calories a day, which might be the entire calorie deficit of a shorter sedentary person or someone who isn't trying to lose weight especially quickly.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    How about this - if one of you has WAY too much time on your hands**, maybe tell us the average of some of these weighed items that are perceived to be standard. Like bread slices. Over a period of about six months. Not something with clearly irregular shapes and sizes, something more standardized like your 88 cent plain white bread or individually wrapped cheese slices

**Not a dig by the way. I would totally run the calculation if I had the data but I do tend to favor this kind of thing :)

Sure thing. Are you funding this study, because my time ain't free. ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Sure thing. Are you funding this study, because my time ain't free. ;)

Why not! What's your poison? :bigsmile:

• bpetrosky
    Options
    I'll happily accept payment in Johnny Walker Blue. >:)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Amen :)

See I did weigh my remaining white bread. 10 slices came in higher - total 41 calories. Weighed the low calorie wheat as well. 19 slices came in a total of 25 calories higher than the package said. Just a matter of where's your point of diminishing returns. Everybody's got one
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I do however get a minor thrill when it comes to the end of the sliced loaf and I get to eat the crust for the same calorie logging

Note to self: get a life

:smiley:

:drinker:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's a moot point for a lot of people because they don't eat back exercise calories or keep a deficit too high anyway (well, in theory, but it means even if they underestimate their food by 200 calories they still have a good deficit).

But when you have a small deficit, it starts to matter.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's a moot point for a lot of people because they don't eat back exercise calories or keep a deficit too high anyway (well, in theory, but it means even if they underestimate their food by 200 calories they still have a good deficit).

But when you have a small deficit, it starts to matter.

I would resemble that last remark. That's why I weigh everything.

• MelodyandBarbells
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think I logged at 1 lb per week deficit for one week on MFP and was like, how the hell do people do this?? Read some old posts, switched to 0.5 and have been on that ever since and lost according to MFP predictions. 0.5 lb is still a deficit of 1750 calories per week. The inaccuracies (total--in the direction of actual calories being higher than the serving size) would have to be significant compared to that number to have an impact on your results. Otherwise it's just a matter of preference and personal comfort level, which is perfectly fine