Any sleep secrets I haven't heard to maximize weigh control?

Options
I keep seeing on the news that not sleeping is probably helping make/keep me fat ... And lots of advice what to do ... How to set up you bedroom, stay away from screens, don't eat before bed, eat this or that before bed, do this or that when you can't sleep, take this supplement or that drug. I wear Fitbit and see over and over again that I rarely get more than 2-3 hours No matter what I do. Here it is 3 am again ... Anyone try anything that worked?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You think you're only getting 2-3 hours sleep a night?

Go see your doctor
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Did that already. Sleep lab etc. No sleep disorders, I just don't sleep at all. Just ended up w drugs.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Dude, you need a new doctor. 2-3 night is an issue.
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Which I tried but think the dangers outweigh the benefits .. Although I occasionally take them when I am desperate and need to get sleep for work ( Jul 4 doesn't matter really!) .. Looking for more natural suggestions.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Take the drugs

Take a meditation course ...mindfulness meditation

Any chance you're a woman over 40? In perimenopause? Hormones and early waking are rife

Is it worse some weeks than others? It's the adjustment that kills
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    FitBit underreports sleep on the sensitive setting.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If you haven't had a sleep study, you can't say anything about what kind of sleep you do or don't get.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree with seeing another doctor. Also, you've probably already heard this one, but do you stay away from your bed when you aren't specifically trying to sleep? And what's your exercise routine like?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I googled perimenopause and insomnia ..loads comes up

First link (I haven't read it) http://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/menopause-and-insomnia

It helps to know you're not mad by the way
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing on the news that not sleeping is probably helping make/keep me fat ... And lots of advice what to do ... How to set up you bedroom, stay away from screens, don't eat before bed, eat this or that before bed, do this or that when you can't sleep, take this supplement or that drug. I wear Fitbit and see over and over again that I rarely get more than 2-3 hours No matter what I do. Here it is 3 am again ... Anyone try anything that worked?

I take 2.5 mgs of melatonin 30 minutes before I want to go to sleep. It's a hormone that the body produces. It's not addictive, and I found that if I don't take it I can still fall asleep so I haven't noticed a rebound effect. I used to hve terrible insomnia prior to starting the melatonin, and now I'm averaging 6.5 hours a night according to my Fitbit. If I'm super awake I will sometimes have a chamomile and valerian root tea, and I also like to take a hot bath before bed - that also makes me drowsy. Good luck - not sleeping is terrible!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    FitBit underreports sleep on the sensitive setting.

What sleep setting is your Fitbit on, OP?

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Sleep-tracking-FAQs

When I tracked sleep, I kept it on normal and saw 7-8 hours of sleep (Ultra worn in wrist band on non-dominate hand). I tried out the sensitive setting for fun and it told me I only got 4-5 hours of sleep.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Maybe you know this already, but you could try to avoid bright, white lighting for a while before bed. I have this app on my phone, something similar on my computer, and I use dimmer, yellowish lights in my house when it’s late. The idea is to simulate twilight inside your house, instead of effectively having full daylight in your house all the way until you go to bed. Staring at a bright phone in the middle of the night isn’t going to help you sleep either.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I used to have severe insomnia and had a lot of trouble with getting enough sleep. For me it was a matter of training my body to sleep. The things that really worked well for me were.

1) Get on a schedule. Go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time seven days a week. Make it a rule and don't bend or break it for at least the first 6 months.

2) Once in bed, stay in bed. Don't read a book, don't get up and watch tv, don't get a snack. Don't leave the bed for anything. (except to pee)

3) The last two hours before bed don't do anything stimulating. Work, intense exercise, video games etch will get your brain

4) Have a pre-bed routine. For me it is watching a bit of TV or reading a good book with a light snack, then a hot shower, take the dogs out to potty and then go to bed. Whatever your routine is do it every day.

5) If you can't sleep don't start thinking about things that make you anxious. Try meditation or build a mental picture of some peaceful place and explore it in your imagination. Just relax and breathe slowly and deeply and even if you don't fall asleep stay in bed until the alarm goes off.

Eventually your body will "learn" that the time period you have set aside is for resting. Even if you don't actually sleep this is going to benefit you. And you will start to fall asleep more quickly and get better rest.

Also some people have had good results with taking melatonin supplements. I did not find sleeping pills to be helpful. Chamomile and Valerian do help some with relaxation which can help you to get to sleep.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

If you are getting so little sleep you need to go to the doctor. That is not normal.

When I was fat I slept really well. I also ate really well, and a whole lot, which is what kept me fat.

As for sleep and weight loss: you want to have enough energy to do the things you do each day, and proper sleep is what gives you energy to do those things.

All the other stuff you listed (in bold) are just silly little myths where perhaps someone lost weight who didn't eat at night, or took a certain supplement, but that's only coincidence, and the bottom line is they lose weight because they burned more calories than they ate.

There is no magic when it comes to weight loss. Just find a way to eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

As for getting better sleep, some people swear by melatonin. For my poor sleeping habits now, it did nothing at all for me. I just try to keep the caffeine at a minimum and not eat foods late at night due to GERD.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I googled perimenopause and insomnia ..loads comes up

First link (I haven't read it) http://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/menopause-and-insomnia

It helps to know you're not mad by the way

Yep, I'm convinced my lack of sleep these days is related to menopause, along with the hot flashes.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing on the news that not sleeping is probably helping make/keep me fat ... And lots of advice what to do ...

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. And talk to your doctor about your insomnia.

MFP has a Near & Post Menopausal group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

And a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Which I tried but think the dangers outweigh the benefits .. Although I occasionally take them when I am desperate and need to get sleep for work ( Jul 4 doesn't matter really!) .. Looking for more natural suggestions.

How were you prescribed to use your sleep medication? Because one nights use won't be helpful in proper recovery of a good sleep pattern, which is what sedatives and hypnotics are usually used for in insomnia. It's more common for a short course (a few days to a week) to be prescribed and if taken consistently for the prescribed period, should help your body to reset its circadian rhythm.

They don't usually have to be taken long term but do need to be given a chance to work, so I'd encourage you to take them as prescribed and if you have concerns about using them or how they work, check back with your prescribing doctor, maybe?