why am I sooo hungry today?

jjay23
jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
I have had what I usually have for breakfast and done the mandatory walk to nursery and work. I have had my mid morning snack (literally my diet and exercise routine is a little like groundhog day) and I am really hungry, I cant stop thinking about food and I only have my lunch with me and dont want to eat that yet.

Replies

• battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Drink some water
  • jjay23
    i have drunk 1.5 litres lol. it must just be one of those days
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Is it tom? Or did you eat less yesterday? I always take it over to the next day if I didn't eat enough the day before!
  • jjay23
    Nope not at the moment and I ate quite a lot yesterday, I am wondering if thats it. sometimes if I eat lots the day before going back into the routine makes me starving. :)
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    I think that's just the body being naturally unpredictable! You may not have done anything different (I would recommend adding a bit more variety if your eating habits are like groundhog day), but some days you won't fancy eating anything, other days you'll want to eat the world! Either give yourself a break and have another snack, or put it off with coffee, tea, water, etc, until lunch.

Good luck!
  • jjay23
    have done just that, eating an oatcake. with some water too, trying a fruit tea in a minute. unfortunately I kinda have to do ground hog day to an extent. I cant eat wheat or dairy so restricted in food and also taking stuff to work is a nightmare as we dont have a fridge, I have to take soup every day. add to the morning being a quick turn arund the exciting stuff doesnt happen till tea lol
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Whenever I feel that way I eat a good snack - an apple, 1/2 a chicken breast, a protein bar, or a bag of almond snacks, etc.

Then if I still feel hungry I just keep chanting in my head that I'm really not hungry, it is something else likely mental - anxiety, boredom, nerves or whatever and I need to wait until the next scheduled eating time.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Invest in a small cool bag with ice packs so you can have some salads or sandwiches for a change.

For today, have you got (or can you "borrow" some green tea? That is my "arrgh even water hasn't worked" failsafe anti-snacking device. Not that it reduces my appetite, just tastes not very nice so I stop thinking about food:laugh:
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Don't think about it, have some more water and think that the hunger is your body eating the fat you're trying to lose. :)
  • jjay23
    Invest in a small cool bag with ice packs so you can have some salads or sandwiches for a change.

For today, have you got (or can you "borrow" some green tea? That is my "arrgh even water hasn't worked" failsafe anti-snacking device. Not that it reduces my appetite, just tastes not very nice so I stop thinking about food:laugh:

i have green tea and will try that, gone for a little walk around the building too to take my mind of it :)
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    I'm not much help, but I just wanted to say...

I HATE those days. It feels like nothing you eat will satisfy your hunger.

Thankfully, they don't come around too often!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i can't see your diary, but i'm going to guess that you continuously have a calorie deficit, probably one that is too big for your daily activities and exercise regime. your body is trying to balance out, so it's asking for more food.

if you give it more food today, it'll balance out your deficit for the last few days. also, you probably won't be too hungry tomorrow.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    My wild, stab in the dark best guess is that your protein is low.
  • jjay23
    i can't see your diary, but i'm going to guess that you continuously have a calorie deficit, probably one that is too big for your daily activities and exercise regime. your body is trying to balance out, so it's asking for more food.

if you give it more food today, it'll balance out your deficit for the last few days. also, you probably won't be too hungry tomorrow.

I always eat my full calorie deficit if not more. I just dont eat back exercise calories. I have tried both ways and unfortuantely not eating them back works and eating them doesnt. I ate over both yesterday as we had an indoor bbq so maxed out on meat lol.

It may be a lack of protein, apart from yesterday it has been lower all last week.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I always wonder why some days are like that. Before the lifestyle change, I wouldn't have stopped to evaluate and just eaten "something" .. so Congrats to you for not caving in and just eating but seeking out ways to understand the hunger and sticking to your plan.

For me, upping protein calories slightly - like 100 a day - at a planned meal time seems to do the trick.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    I agree with those telling you to eat a protein. I keep a large container of mixed nuts in the pantry with a .25Cup scoop in it. When I have those days, I slowly eat a quarter cup of nuts, or a hard-boiled egg. Both are healthy and seem to kill off the craving.

Either way - you're doing the right thing by venting about it rather than acting on it :wink:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    I think it just happens sometimes. It's not a bad idea to look at your deficit (too big?), sleep, exercise, protein/fat/carb ratios, etc. if it goes on and on, but some days I could care less about food and some days I want to gnaw on my arm I am so hungry. If the hunger is such that it is not distractible then I don't mind eating more calories earlier in the day (with the knowledge that it will mean a small dinner or more exercise to keep my net calories in check).
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    If "max out" means you ate some meat, then you aren't getting in enough protein. The average woman should get in 100 gs of protein, a woman on a fitness mission should try for 150. We tend to eat like birds when we should be eating like lions. I have a hard time getting in enough so I added a protein powder to my routine. It helps to satiate my empty cravings.
  • Getawayfromthecake
    Getawayfromthecake Posts: 124 Member
    I think we all have a day when you want to eat your own weight in food...
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Nope not at the moment and I ate quite a lot yesterday, I am wondering if thats it. sometimes if I eat lots the day before going back into the routine makes me starving. :)

That is exactly it. Your body is in hunger roller coaster mode because of what you ate the previous day. It was an imbalance in your portion control and or types of food you ate. Just stick it out and it will go away. I don't mean to dismiss any other opinions but I don't think its not enough protein, I don't think its about water, I don't think its about some magical thing that happens every once in a while. Your body doesn't work like that. There is usually a cause. Body functions and responses are about facts.

However, I do believe TOM does bring hunger issues because of the hormone fluctuations. I just cut myself a little slack on those 2 days a month. (They usually happen 2 days before the start of it then settle back down).

Just my 2 cents