Do any of you run outside when it's raining or snowing?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Dressing right for the weather makes a *huge* difference.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    the irony is that I live in Canada so it is an unavoidable consequence.

Whenever I complain about the cold. I always,always say to myself "well at least I don't live in Canada "

I don't know how you guys bare it! I live in Australia, and the mornings have been 3 degrees Celsius lately (37 Farenheit). I can not stand it! :confounded:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Here in Vancouver 3 degrees C **as a high** would be considered cold for much of the winter but yes in the morning 1 - 3C is common for about 40 days in the middle of winter.

I can't recall weather stopping me from running once last winter, but this part of Canada isn't the Canada a lot of non-Canadians picture when it comes to winter weather. There are palm trees growing near the beach. Imported of course, but they grow here. Big even!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Throw on a hoodie/extra layers and be careful not to slip.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Here in Vancouver 3 degrees C **as a high** would be considered cold for much of the winter but yes in the morning 1 - 3C is common for about 40 days in the middle of winter.

I can't recall weather stopping me from running once last winter, but this part of Canada isn't the Canada a lot of non-Canadians picture when it comes to winter weather. There are palm trees growing near the beach. Imported of course, but they grow here. Big even!

I thought you guys got down to -30 in winter. Not sure where I heard that lol

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Whenever I complain about the cold. I always,always say to myself "well at least I don't live in Canada "

I don't know how you guys bare it! I live in Australia, and the mornings have been 3 degrees Celsius lately (37 Farenheit). I can not stand it! :confounded:

Canada is a big place with lots of different climates - it was 37 on my deck this afternoon.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Canada is a big place with lots of different climates - it was 37 on my deck this afternoon.

yeah, I forget how huge Canada and America is :open_mouth:

• mwyvr
    Options
    I thought you guys got down to -30 in winter. Not sure where I heard that lol

We can find you -30C easily in some parts of the country but here on the wet west coast the trend has been warmer.

Last year was a terrible ski season for much of British Columbia. Very little snow and too-warm temperatures meant the local mountains were often barren and even Whistler (where many Aussies flock to for temporary work here) had a bad snow season.

Tomorrow is forecast to be +30C at the airport (which is on the ocean)... that's almost unheard of. In the interior high 30's is likely. I may go see a movie.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Kinda wishing for cooler temps right now honestly. Rain would be lovely. Really lovely. And I'd run in it. Please oh please let it rain! Damn... no such luck.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    That's unreal. I wouldn't want to leave the house in those temperatures!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to run in the snow. I love running in the rain, and I love walking & hiking in the snow, but have not had a chance to run in it yet. I plan on running all winter here in Minnesota.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    We don't have snow here, so I can't comment on that.

But if I'm scheduled to run and it's windy and raining? Then I go run.

I do the training session on the schedule unless I'm injured.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't run outside in the rain. Not do I run outside in the snow.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't think rain and wind are reasons not to go running, it's just a question of having a good running jacket to keep you warm but not so warm that you're overheating.

Snow and ice are more difficult, if you're running on roads. Trail shoes are your friends in winter, I sometimes even run in them on roads if it snowed overnight, as I go out before normal people wake up...
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP, I don't know where you're located so it's hard to know what kinds of rain and snow you face. I live way up near the North Pole and get bored on a treadmill, so outdoor running is my only real option. As others have said, proper gear is key. If you often run when it's cold out - I mean really cold - merino wool undergarments are fantastic. With them as a bottom layer and windproof outer garments, I've been able to jog down to -23°C (about -10°F) with no problems.

One thing nobody has mentioned for running on ice is jogging shoes with built-in studs. I find that Yaktrax and other removeable devices slip around too much. I use Icebugs instead. I run on ice — hard ice — several months a year and with my Bugs I've never slipped once.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    As a Canadian I feel one of the defining elements of our culture is a willingness to go out in inclement weather.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Personally no. I don't do outdoor exercise when its raining because I don't like getting cold and I hate the feeling of wet clothes in my skin. Generally I just feel miserable and feel sorry for myself.
    For these days I go for a swim or do an exercise video at home.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    As a Canadian I feel one of the defining elements of our culture is a willingness to go out in inclement weather.

Are you sure it's not the overly thick and chewy bacon?