Supplements, Protein shakes really necessary

Options
tinuz
tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
Hi, Just wondering.
On all fitness sites and healthy eating info i read, they recommend to use supplements, protein shakes etc.
Are these really worth while using.
These things are just to give it the "extra notch" for workout right...??

Thanks,
Tinuz

Replies

• tatibelafitness
    tatibelafitness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Taking this or that supplement will depend on your current nutrition and fitness regime. Protein shakes are not supplements- they are easy digestable food right after workout that can provide all needed amino acids to build and repair muscles. Protein shakes have calories and should be consumed according to your macros and as addition not primary source of protein. Another supplements such as BCAA, Glutamine, preworkout- they all are designed to help storing, recovering muscles, also giving extra energy while working out entensivly with prolong caloric deficit (at low body fat) . If you have serious intention about your fitness goals and your macros are 100 accurate, then you should consider taking supplements for their benefits if you work out in and off eating whatever- supplement won't do anything..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    90% of supplements aren't needed if you have a balanced diet. Some women may need more iron or calcium, so supplement if you do, but all the EXAGGERATED claims from most supplements on fat loss, weight loss, muscle gain etc. are just that, exaggerations.
    It's a billion dollar industry due to the fact that supplements don't fall under regulation of the FDA (since they aren't really drugs) and sellers only have to prove that they aren't dangerous for ingestion, nor make claims of curing any disease or illness. Other than that, they can say practically anything they want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Taking this or that supplement will depend on your current nutrition and fitness regime. Protein shakes are not supplements- they are easy digestable food right after workout that can provide all needed amino acids to build and repair muscles.

I'm sure quite a lot of people regard them as supplements, no?

Protein shakes are not necessary at all. They're only there to be a convenient source of protein if you're on the go, or if you have a hard time getting your protein in (it's easier to drink your calories than chow down a chicken breast, for example).

I don't think you need them OP. Don't spend your money on them just now.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've never consumed either a protein shake or any kind of supplement. I met my goal and have maintained for 2.5 years. So I guess, no, they aren't necessary.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Just about all that stuff that is promoted as being necessary for weight loss is a load of bunk.

I do take a couple of supplements for health purposes - fish oil, magnesium and a probiotic. They don't do anything specific for helping me lose or maintain my weight, though.

I also have protein powder here. I'll sometimes make a shake after a workout because it's basically like chocolate milk, just with more protein. Again, not something that's necessary, but it helps me get closer to my protein macro & it's yummy.

~Lyssa
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Not necessary. They are used to supplement your diet if you arent getting the nutrients you need.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Meh, not necessary at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a decent multivitamin or some extra calcium and iron if you're a woman.

Now protein? If you like the shakes or bars, eat them. If you don't, don't eat them. It's not necessary to use them to supplement your intake.