To Avocado or Not to Avocado ???

Options
124»

Replies

• jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I replace mayo with avocado on my tuna. And add a boiled egg also. Slap onto some wheat bread and BAM, you got a slammin sandwich. Soooo good!!!! And pretty much put it on anything, in moderation of course, throughout week, salads, pasta, with chicken, oh the possibilities are endless. If I could marry avocado.. I would...
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I moved to California for avocado. Salt & a spoon, that is all I need.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Great Guacamole doesn't happen by chopping ingredients, throwing them into a bowl, and wishing for the best. You must build the flavors. Fresh, vibrant flavors... not processed, powdered, shortcut flavors.

Ingredients:
    • 3 Haas avocados (black skin, semi-soft to touch, not too hard or soft)
    • 1/2 medium chopped white onion (not yellow, red, sweet, Vidalia, etc.)
    • 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (loosely packed and then minced very finely)
    • 1 very finely minced orange habanero or green serrano chile (jalapenos are far too mild)
    • 1 plum tomato (optional for garnish)
    • 1 lime, add juice to taste
    • Kosher salt, to taste

NO garlic, cumin, dairy, cheese, mayo, or crushed red pepper flakes!

Essential Equipment:

Mortar & Pestle

molcajete-mortar-pestle.jpg

Procedure:

1) Using a mortar and pestle, mash the following ingredients into an Emerald colored paste:
    • 1 heaping tbsp. chopped white onion
    • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt
    • 1/2 habanero or 1 whole serrano, minced

2) Chop tomato into 2-3 cm pieces, while removing & discarding the juice and seeds. Lightly season tomato with salt and set aside.

3) Slice the avocados in half lengthwise. Hack your knife into the seed, pry out, remove and discard. Slice the avocado while in the shell into cross sections. Scoop out with a large spoon into a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime over the avocado.

4) Add the chile paste mixture in step 1 to the avocado and lime. Give it a subtle mash with a potato masher or the end of your stone pestle, while keeping some chunky texture. Do not overmash into a toothpaste texture; you want some chunks.

5) Correct seasoning by adding more kosher salt or more lime juice, to taste. Garnish with the chopped tomato, extra onion, cilantro, and chile if desired.

It should look like this, or like the guac in my profile pics:

guacamole.jpg
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    ^ if you don't grill the lime first you fail, sorry. Good effort though! ;)
  • SummerMM1
    SummerMM1 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Love Avocados, love them plan, love them on everything. I love the creaminess of it. The texture is great. I love it has a mild flavor that is why it is so good on and in everything because it won't over power the taste of everything else.
  • ShannonKelliG
    ShannonKelliG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is a huge hit in my house. Even my avocado hating hubby loves it. http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/shrimp-avocado-pasta.html#_a5y_p=1414811
  • lisadoe71
    lisadoe71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make my own with fresh garlic, lemon juice, fresh cilantro, diced green onion and sea salt.....YUM!
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    frankly i could just eat a whole avocado without doing anything to it, but i do like to mash up half and use it as a spread for toast with a little black pepper and whatever other toppings i feel like. i've been meaning to try something like this for a while but i'd probably just spill the egg everywhere. :s

also subway's guac looks and tastes like baby vomit. don't take any flavor you try for the first time at subway as the baseline, come back to that when you've had some chips and guac from chipotle or something.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Avocados are ah-mazing. I love using them to make fresh guacamole (tomato, garlic, lime, cilantro, serrano pepper and salt). Also love them as a topping on burgers, sliced, battered and fried... Don't give up on avocado just because you tried that horribly bland stuff from Subway!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    good guac is not bland...I highly doubt Subway would be a place that would have good guac. I make mine pretty spicy.

I also just like eating some avocado and salt. I live in New Mexico and avocado is pretty much a staple of my diet and was so long before I got into nutrition and whatnot.
  • Spiritfoxx96
    Spiritfoxx96 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I cut up the avocado and put it on some whole wheat bread and add some pepper. I also heard cut up avocados with milk is good too, haven't tried that yet, sounded strange to me.