15 Yr old weight loss-wrestling

ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
So my younger sister is wanting to get leaner for wrestling this winter (so she's got time).
She's 138lb, 5'1.5", Female, 15yrs old.
She's hoping to get to 125-128 by wrestling season but doesn't know how to go about her calories. She's doing p90x3 with me (30min intense exercise 5-6x a week).
(Please don't say just eat healthy and everything will be fine and dandy, because she wants a plan that will work)
Any suggestions of how many calories?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Even apart from being 15, "winter" and "wrestling season" are a bit amorphous.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Sparkteens + parental oversight
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

This. Definitely this.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2015
    alexxazt wrote: »
    (Please don't say just eat healthy and everything will be fine and dandy, because she wants a plan that will work)

???

• ANT98

???

We do eat a lot healthier than the average teen, just wondering how much now according to goals.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Yep. Definitely involve the parental units, and checking with her pediatrician would not be out of line.
    She's still a child, with a developing body. Her needs are very different from an adult.

Use these with guidance from her parents & doctor:

For a guide to body recomposition, see this site: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

For a guide to how much & what to eat, see this calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine:
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited July 2015
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Your "sister". Mmm-hmm. Suuuuuuuuuure.

Parents, doctor, and not this site.
  • ANT98
    edited July 2015
    misskarne wrote: »
    Your "sister". Mmm-hmm. Suuuuuuuuuure.

Parents, doctor, and not this site.

Uhh yes actually my real sister. I've got 2. One in college. No need for assuming anything. But thanks anyways
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,137 Member
    What is her body fat %. Is it realistic to be looking to move 10lbs in the first place in a developing body?

The rest is going to make me popular.

Unless you are looking at a realistic chance of having a pro career and making your life out of wrestling it is a sport that at best will lead to a college scholarship.

Evaluate the average value of that potential scholarship against possibly years of metabolic damage and weight gain/loss tribulations and unhappiness with her body all because of trying to make weight as opposed to allowing her body to develop naturally. screw what the coach wants in order to gain a fleeting advantage by wrestling in a lower weight class. Wrestle at whatever class your body wants to be as long as you remain athletic and strong.

It is interesting how many studies exist about people who try to make and do things like dehydrate or burn muscle while trying to cut weight too fast to get into a lower weight class.

While we get to benefit from the research, is there a real benefit to your sister's body?

As to the rest of it, sparkteens plus parents plus a good think as to whether this is an appropriate goal.

• SLLRunner
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    What is her body fat %. Is it realistic to be looking to move 10lbs in the first place in a developing body?

Unless you are looking at a realistic chance of having a pro career and making your life out of wrestling it is a sport that at best will lead to a college scholarship.

Evaluate the average value of that potential scholarship against possibly years of metabolic damage and weight gain/loss tribulations and unhappiness with her body all because of trying to make weight as opposed to allowing her body to develop naturally. screw what the coach wants in order to gain a fleeting advantage by wrestling in a lower weight class. Wrestle at whatever class your body wants to be as long as you remain athletic and strong.

It is interesting how many studies exist about people who try to make and do things like dehydrate or burn muscle while trying to cut weight too fast to get into a lower weight class.

While we get to benefit from the research, is there a real benefit to your sister's body?

As to the rest of it, sparkteens plus parents plus a good think as to whether this is an appropriate goal.

You are now......

21288621-368-k702796.jpg
  • PAV8888
    Thanks @SLLRunner, looks like I'm cuter than I thought!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

Agree
  • ANT98

She's around 30% body fat, and yeah she was miserable the whole season having to eat nothing and she found out she got used to undereating and was wanting to up calories so she can lose the weight easily. Partly she wants it for looking good in clothes
  • SLLRunner

She's around 30% body fat, and yeah she was miserable the whole season having to eat nothing and she found out she got used to undereating and was wanting to up calories so she can lose the weight easily. Partly she wants it for looking good in clothes

This whole conversation feels off to me. That's nice you're on here trying to get advice, but she's a kid. If she has weight concerns, your parents need to be involved and she needs to go to the doctor.

Also, you don't up calories to lose weight, you decrease them.
  • PAV8888
    Undereating, being miserable, getting used to it.

Is that a healthy lifestyle?

Is that what being in an athletic program is supposed to teach you?

You go into an athletic program to benefit yourself and your health.

The program's goals may or may not coincide with your own.

Athletic glory and money may or may not follow.

More often than not it doesn't and it takes an older person to point out that your long term health comes first, regardless of what the program wants to encourage you to do.

Not sure what the parents think about all this.

Are they involved?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This whole conversation feels off to me. That's nice you're on here trying to get advice, but she's a kid. If she has weight concerns, your parents need to be involved and she needs to go to the doctor.

Also, you don't up calories to lose weight, you decrease them.

/Thread
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It really is sickening that they're pushed to lose weight at such a young age...
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    It really is sickening that they're pushed to lose weight at such a young age...

We really don't know who i represented in this thread.
  • ANT98
    Well what wrestling did do was undereat, hit weight, indulge a lot, so she wants to be consistent and not binging and undereating. It is hard with the whole weight hitting thing, but she loves the sport! Yes my parents are involved and encourage healthy eating all the time and i guess trip to doctor would be good. Thanks everyone!