best books about nutrition and weight loss/fitness?

Options

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    [Yes, CICO will certainly do the job if you are just interested in numbers on a scale, but eating to be healthy is a little more involved.

[/quote]

Yes I know that.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »

. CICO. Fitness - just find something you like to do and you will stick to it.
    Yes, CICO will certainly do the job if you are just interested in numbers on a scale, but eating to be healthy is a little more involved.

Eating healthy doesn't mean remove sugar from your diet. That's absurd.
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The OP deserves to know what is healthy, not just how to reduce numbers.

And what your suggesting as healthy has no scientific basis, just garbage thrown around by the fad diet community.

• cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Not too long ago I listened to the book Mindless Eating. I thought it was really interesting. They do all of these experiments on people to see when/why/how people overeat. There are some helpful strategies in there too about reducing your calories by just a little a day.

I haven't read this one, but it's on my list...The Ultimate Volumetrics Diet. I'm not really looking for a diet book either, but I've heard this one has some good info.

Lots of threads here at MFP too. You could read for a lifetime!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    123user456 wrote: »
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    All you need to do is cut out sugar and simple carbs. That way your insulin drops and your body burns fat. You can even eat fat butter meat. Just cut processed foods
    This is the best advice I have read today, thank you. It is good to see someone who is more interested in health than numbers on a scale. Even if you are under your calorie allowance, the body will store the food as fat if it is food it cannot use. The trick is to make sure everything you eat is something useful to your body, not YUMMY GARBAGE.

If you are under your calorie allowance, what is left to store as fat?
    Some misconceptions die hard. For 75 years we were told to avoid saturated fats which now are widely known to be healthy. Unsaturated fats, particularly solvent refined oils, have been linked to all the diseases which formerly were blamed on saturated fats and cholesterol. Your body cannot eliminate many of these toxic substances so it encases them in fat and stores them in order to protect you. All this still happens whether or not you are in a caloric deficit.

Do you have any sources for these claims you like to make? Where do you get this information from? And don't tell me to google it.
    Try: wellnessresources.com This is an excerpt: Toxins Pose a Major Challenge to Weight Loss

A variety of reasons toxins pose a major challenge to weight loss. A person who has too many toxins to process will make new fat cells and store those toxins along with fat in them. This is first a form of self-defense against being poisoned, and second, a strategy to get toxins out of the circulation and away from major organs. This means that some people will not be able to lose any weight at all, regardless of how little they eat, until the acute nature of their plumbing problems are addressed.

ahhhh very reliable a selling site...buy our stuff

throws directly her education over board and goes for it....
    kidding of course

You get fat because of excess calories! You make new fat cells ( the simple and short explanation here) when you eat to much calories and your body want to store those
    simple!
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    [Yes, CICO will certainly do the job if you are just interested in numbers on a scale, but eating to be healthy is a little more involved.
    Yes I know that.

And what your suggesting as healthy has no scientific basis, just garbage thrown around by the fad diet community.

Yes I know that.

Yes, the fad diet I proclaim is to cut out processed, refined and denatured chemicals which are laughingly called food because they are yummy.

so sugar is a processed, refined and denatured chemical now?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Yes I know that.

Yes I know that.

Yes, the fad diet I proclaim is to cut out processed, refined and denatured chemicals which are laughingly called food because they are yummy.

it upgraded i see.

• Debmal77
    Options

Yes I know that.

[/quote]

ummmmm yes....you just need to go away now..
  • galgenstrick
    Options

The fad diet I proclaim is to eliminate refined, processed and denatured chemical poisons which are laughingly called food because they are yummy.

Sugar is a poison now too?!?
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes I know that.

Yes I know that.

When separated from nutrients, yes.

Sugar is a carbohydrate, which is a nutrient. How in the world can they be separated?
  • Debmal77
    Options

Yes I know that.

ummmmm yes....you just need to go away now..
    Really Good Response

[/quote]

Thank you. Now I'm going to have some sugar....mmmmmmm
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Yes I know that.

Yes I know that.

When separated from nutrients, yes.

Sugar contains carbohydrates, which is a nutrient. How in the world can they be separated?
    The body cannot use carbohydrates as nutrients without vitamins, minerals, enzymes, all of which have been removed during refining.

but it is required that said nutrients be in the sugar you consume. So if you eat a cookie, and a bowl of vegetables, your body can only use the carbohydrates from the vegetables, and the sugars in the cookie is poison?
This discussion has been closed.