Kevin Smith lost over 85lbs!

Options
Mizz_Mo
Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
So, I read Kevin Smith (Silent Bob - and filmmaker) mention that the movie 'Fed Up' helped him to change the way he views food. He has lost over 85lbs due to those changes.

Has anyone else watched the movie? If so, what changes, if any, did you make?

We watched the movie last night on Netflix. According to the movie the WHO (World Health Organization) recommended the calories from sugar be no more than 10%. When I figured up the amount of sugar on my food diary it was set at 15% (46g). I went to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom and changed it to 10% (30g).

For those that are finding it hard to lose - maybe watch the movie on Netflix - and change the daily amount of sugar to only 10%. Remember there are 4 calories for every gram of sugar.

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    You do realize that the 15% that MFP gave you includes the sugars found naturally in food and sugar that has been added during processing?

I seldom go over that 15% and when I do it has been because I have had an extra piece of fruit.

I haven't watched the movie since sugar is not a concern for me but are they advocating against sugar found naturally in foods?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    You do realize that the 15% that MFP gave you includes the sugars found naturally in food and sugar that has been added during processing?

I seldom go over that 15% and when I do it has been because I have had an extra piece of fruit.

I haven't watched the movie since sugar is not a concern for me but are they advocating against sugar found naturally in foods?

Nope. Only against those evil, evil sugars removed from plants and put into other foods. Unless you have a medical condition, there's nothing about sugar calories specifically that hinders weight loss.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Options
    Yes I do realize that - and most of my sugar intake is from fresh fruits and veggies. No they are not advocating against natural sugars - and the doctors on the movie stressed that point. Watch the movie for S&G's (that's what we initially did). It's really good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Right the WHO guidelines refer to added sugars. So lowering your MFP sugars doesn't really help since MFP counts fruits, vegetables, and dairy among its sugars.

That said good for you reducing your added sugars. I'm betting most of us could stand to reduce our intake of added sugar.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Options

Nope. Only against those evil, evil sugars removed from plants and put into other foods. Unless you have a medical condition, there's nothing about sugar calories specifically that hinders weight loss.

Did you watch the movie?

One of the points they really drove home was the fact many people are thinking that the amount of sugar they are ingesting doesn't really affect them - but it does. It showed how the brothers of one overweight kid were also unhealthy even though they were not obese (but pretty much eating the same food). TOFI - thin on the outside, fat on the inside. The thinner boys had over 22% belly fat but would be considered healthy.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Options
    Right the WHO guidelines refer to added sugars. So lowering your MFP sugars doesn't really help since MFP counts fruits, vegetables, and dairy among its sugars.

Yes, MFP does track all. The point I was making - and we are getting away from - it the importance of watching the amount of sugars being ingested. Lowering the amount of sugar from 15% to 10% will force me to ensure the amount of sugars I am ingesting are from fruits/veggies - there is now less room for added processed sugars.

If you look at past discussions - the MFP sugar levels are set by dietitians based on their recommendations. Some complained their goal amounts were rather high - and MFP gave the link to adjust those goals (guess they could not be changed at one time). In the past some were getting really high amounts as sugar goals.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    In the 80's and 90's, the bad macro was fat. Obviously, fat made people fat because it could go straight to fat without extra processing.

Now, the bad macro is carbs. Obviously, it's carbs that are making you fat because (insert reason here).

Ultimately, eating more calories than your body uses during the day cause you to gain weight no matter which macro those calories come from.

Reducing sugar only reduces weight if you end up eating fewer calories than your body burns.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    For me the foods that I consume that have added sugar are selected for a reason...they help me meet my potassium, calcium and iron levels. It is worth the trade off for me.

I do however support your decision to lower your sugar intake. I think that we all have to reach our goals by what works for us as individuals.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    In the 80's and 90's, the bad macro was fat. Obviously, fat made people fat because it could go straight to fat without extra processing.

Now, the bad macro is carbs. Obviously, it's carbs that are making you fat because (insert reason here).

Ultimately, eating more calories than your body uses during the day cause you to gain weight no matter which macro those calories come from.

Reducing sugar only reduces weight if you end up eating fewer calories than your body burns.

Just for S&G's watch the movie. It's on Netflix.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Options
    For me the foods that I consume that have added sugar are selected for a reason...they help me meet my potassium, calcium and iron levels. It is worth the trade off for me.

I do however support your decision to lower your sugar intake. I think that we all have to reach our goals by what works for us as individuals.

Just wondering if you watched the movie. If not, check it out - it isn't dull (otherwise my husband would have been asleep right away - he stayed awake to the end).

Just curious - what foods do you consume with added sugar that you feel give you a health benefit that is worth the trade off? Not being snarky - just want an example so I understand where you are coming from.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

As an interesting counter to the fed up movie, search for fed up fact check and see what you think.

I'm not arguing anything about the movie itself as I inherently distrust documentaries in general and stopped with tv and movies years ago. But, since you're interested in the topic, I thought you would find this interesting.
    Mizz_Mo wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »

Just for S&G's watch the movie. It's on Netflix.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    haven't seen the movie and staying away from that whole discussion, but i'm glad about kevin smith!

like this is great

CIg3t81VEAAs8FI.jpg:large

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    haven't seen the movie and staying away from that whole discussion, but i'm glad about kevin smith!

like this is great

It even made the gal next to him look older :p
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

like this is great

lol :)

(holy moly - she was born in 1999. i can't actually make sense of that. time goes so fast when you use people to measure it. :/)
  • Annie_01
    Options
    I drink an 8oz glass of low sodium V8 juice that gives me 900mg of potassium of the 4700mg that I need...7g of sugar.

I eat an iron fortified cereal that gives me 100% of my daily iron...14g of sugar.

If I am low on protein or calcium I use a nonfat greek yogurt with 12g protein - 15% of my calcium...7g of sugar.

That's about it in a day...the rest of my sugar comes from the food itself.

Those above items I use regularly...almost daily. There are a few others such as lite mayo that I use on occasion. I just don't buy a lot of processed foods...not because of the sugar but because of the sodium.

As I said earlier I have not watched the movie...I don't have Netflix for one. The other...I am not concerned about my sugar levels...they are well within the guidelines.
  • Mizz_Mo
    edited July 2015
    Options

As an interesting counter to the fed up movie, search for fed up fact check and see what you think.

I'm not arguing anything about the movie itself as I inherently distrust documentaries in general and stopped with tv and movies years ago. But, since you're interested in the topic, I thought you would find this interesting.

Thank you - this is some of what I was looking for! As I stated, after watching it - I lowered my sugar goal - which will force me to limit my intake from more fruits/veggies/dairy. Not as much room for the processed sugars.

I don't agree with everything from the movie - but there is quite a bit that is true. For example - our son was the ONLY kid in his Pre-K class that did not recognize the McDonald's symbol. His teacher (she has only been teaching for 3 years) said he was the first student she has had that didn't know it. He's never been there (he's 5 YO). We don't have cable - so he isn't exposed to commercials like other kids (and adults) are. This was one of the points of the movie was trying to get across as well.

You mention distrusting documentaries - however, did you watch it?
  • Mizz_Mo
    Options
    I drink an 8oz glass of low sodium V8 juice that gives me 900mg of potassium of the 4700mg that I need...7g of sugar.

I eat an iron fortified cereal that gives me 100% of my daily iron...14g of sugar.

If I am low on protein or calcium I use a nonfat greek yogurt with 12g protein - 15% of my calcium...7g of sugar.

That's about it in a day...the rest of my sugar comes from the food itself.

Those above items I use regularly...almost daily. There are a few others such as lite mayo that I use on occasion. I just don't buy a lot of processed foods...not because of the sugar but because of the sodium.

As I said earlier I have not watched the movie...I don't have Netflix for one. The other...I am not concerned about my sugar levels...they are well within the guidelines.

Thank you for providing examples :smile:
  • Mizz_Mo
    Options

Awesome!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm Fed Up with Fed Up.

I think if you aim to eat a diet that is mostly nutrient dense whole food... lean protein, plain dairy, fresh fruits, veggies... and just have the occasional treat or packaged food?

You'll do just fine limiting your added sugars.

The problem, in my mind, is not seeing the forest for that sugar-laden tree. The whole scare-mongering proscriptive approach of Fed Up demonizes a single source of something, claiming it's at the root of a very complex problem (which it's not) without offering solutions. A prescriptive approach, offered with a bit more balance, might have a chance of seeming a bit less ... fraught.

Not to mention the fact that some of the information presented in Fed Up is just plain wrong.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/
  • Mizz_Mo
    Options
    I'm Fed Up with Fed Up.

I think if you aim to eat a diet that is mostly nutrient dense whole food... lean protein, plain dairy, fresh fruits, veggies... and just have the occasional treat or packaged food?

You'll do just fine limiting your added sugars.

The problem, in my mind, is not seeing the forest for that sugar-laden tree. The whole scare-mongering proscriptive approach of Fed Up demonizes a single source of something, claiming it's at the root of a very complex problem (which it's not) without offering solutions. A prescriptive approach, offered with a bit more balance, might have a chance of seeming a bit less ... fraught.

Not to mention the fact that some of the "science" used in Fed Up is just plain wrong.

Sugar intake was one aspect of the movie - the other was the relentless advertising that is aimed at us. I am looking to hear from those watched the movie and see what they took away - and what, if any - changes they made.