Advancing with Free Weights?

Options
I've been working with free weights for about 2 years. I started out doing Body Pump and Shred and now do a Power Sculpt class. I do the class once a week and work out with approximately the same routine twice more during the week - about an hour each time, including the class.

I've been progressing in weights, but seem to be stuck at 10lb for biceps. I've moved to 15lb for triceps. I don't know why I can't increase my bicep weights.

I did break a wrist a few years ago, but the issue is in both arms. I've tried increasing tow 12 1/2 but it seems like I can't do it and I'm wondering if it's a mental block or a function of my past injury.

If anyone has any experience with this approach, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I increase my weights by 2.5lbs for upper and 5lbs for lower each workout but I suspect my reps are a lot lower than yours.

How many reps do you do??
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you want to get stronger, I'd focus on some sort of strength-oriented routine and not these classes.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Agree with @DopeItUp . Classes tend to use lower weights with higher reps; which is fine, but that sort of regimen is focused more cardio and endurance than true strength-building. Find a good program for major compound lifts (Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc.) and work on the Big 5 compound lifts. Bench presses and overhead press will help with bicep strength, and do accessory lifts (dumbbell curls, 21s, etc. after the compound lifts).

Personally, I love the triceps work myself, I see much more shape to my arms with triceps work than biceps!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    If you want to get stronger, I'd focus on some sort of strength-oriented routine and not these classes.

Yes
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 is a nice lifting program that will help you get stronger and you'll definitely be increasing the amount of weights that you lift within a few weeks.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    One other idea...try different bicep exercises. Your accessory muscles may not be getting the proper attention which is why you can't advance on the simple bicep movements; hammer curls, preacher curls, reverse bar curls (palms facing down), wrist curls.

R
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    One other idea...try different bicep exercises. Your accessory muscles may not be getting the proper attention which is why you can't advance on the simple bicep movements; hammer curls, preacher curls, reverse bar curls (palms facing down), wrist curls.

R

That sounds like a good idea. Today, I decided I was being a wuss and increased the weights to 12.5lb. It went pretty well except for the overhead raises, which I had to drop back to 10lb.

I do 2 sets of 10 reps for each exercise, some slow, some at half tempo and some a second set at tempo.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about your wrist from a previous injury I'd invest in some wrist straps, maybe help you to get past the mental block. And I'd also agree to move away from the classes and start on a decent lifting program. Good luck.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, you need a proper strength routine. It's an isolated exercise. If you focus on compound movements, you will target more muscles, and be stronger overall. Once that happens, your numbers will go up everywhere, including for your bicep routine.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    As others have stated, you need a proper strength routine. It's an isolated exercise. If you focus on compound movements, you will target more muscles, and be stronger overall. Once that happens, your numbers will go up everywhere, including for your bicep routine.

Suggest a compound movement for biceps, please.
    I do three biceps exercises: Front, with weights parallel to floor, front, with weights at 90 degrees, and arms out 45 degrees with weights parallel. I'm assuming those are isolated movements.
  • Horrorfox
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @47Jacqueline Bench Press, Pullup/Chinup, Dips, Barbell Rows, Military Press, Stiff Legged Deadlift. Also, if you want to get stronger, that means you need to eat more to fuel your workouts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Horrorfox wrote: »

Suggest a compound movement for biceps, please.
    I do three biceps exercises: Front, with weights parallel to floor, front, with weights at 90 degrees, and arms out 45 degrees with weights parallel. I'm assuming those are isolated movements.

Bench press for one....

If you work with compound movements and increase weights each workout (not by a lot but 2.5lbs) and then do some isolation movements at the end you will get stronger.

I did SL's for 1 year and move to 5/3/1 now for almost a year...I can bench 135lbs...if that is something you strive for then you need to do a strength program.
  • Horrorfox
    Options
    Yeah, what @SezxyStef said. She looks bad *kitten*, so I would trust her :smiley: