I only eat one meal a day.

Options

Replies

• JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    The point is it's a moot point - nobody eats just that. I've answered your question about weight loss in and of itself leading to improved health markers. Other issues the individual may wish to work with their doctor, not snake oil salesmen about "detoxifying". If you want to eat nutritious food, do it. It's not a prerequisite for weight loss. And we still don't know what the OP meant by "cannot afford to eat more than once per day" because she didn't explicitly clarify it

You make no point once you or anyone says: calorie in vs calorie out. It either matters or not. Me and some other said it's more than just that and got shut down.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You're right, not just Twinkies. I've been insisting for YEARS that Duncan Hines Family Style Brownie Chewy Fudge is the secret to health and weight loss and nobody believed me. What say ye now, skeptics!?
  • heyeyeya
    heyeyeya Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There IS such a thing as starvation mode FYI, but you're extremely unlikely to go into Ketoacidosis without some sort of metabolic deficiency. Starvation mode doesn't matter in the context given by an earlier poster, but it does exist!

And one meal a day won't harm you if that's the way you want to eat, as long as you've got a dependable gall bladder!
  • Zedeff
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    The point is it's a moot point - nobody eats just that. I've answered your question about weight loss in and of itself leading to improved health markers. Other issues the individual may wish to work with their doctor, not snake oil salesmen about "detoxifying". If you want to eat nutritious food, do it. It's not a prerequisite for weight loss. And we still don't know what the OP meant by "cannot afford to eat more than once per day" because she didn't explicitly clarify it

You make no point once you or anyone says: calorie in vs calorie out. It either matters or not.

For weight loss, it doesn't matter. Period.

This is easily proved by fasting. If you consume zero nutrients, you will lose weight. It is not healthy to consume zero healthful substances. Ergo, it is possible to lose weight without a healthy diet.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    heyeyeya wrote: »
    There IS such a thing as starvation mode FYI, but you're extremely unlikely to go into Ketoacidosis without some sort of metabolic deficiency. Starvation mode doesn't matter in the context given by an earlier poster, but it does exist!

And one meal a day won't harm you if that's the way you want to eat, as long as you've got a dependable gall bladder!

A little off topic, but the majority of woman I know don't have a gallbladder anymore, most are overweight. I wonder if someone made a topic of people who wanted to lose weight are overweight and had their gallbladder removed and posted saying yes or no. It would be interesting to see if there was some correlation between the two.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I love how none of these strawman-throwing people ever suggest eating only broccoli. It would kill you way more quickly than eating only pop tarts.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

You make no point once you or anyone says: calorie in vs calorie out. It either matters or not. Me and some other said it's more than just that and got shut down.
    But what if someone shoots themselves in the head or is involved in a tragic blimp accident or the whole solar system gets destroyed by a black hole? Then nutrition doesn't matter. So saying nutrition matters is false because I can come up with ridiculous counterexamples. Right?
  • Zedeff
    edited July 2015
    Options

A little off topic, but the majority of woman I know don't have a gallbladder anymore, most are overweight. I wonder if someone made a topic of people who wanted to lose weight are overweight and had their gallbladder removed and posted saying yes or no. It would be interesting to see if there was some correlation between the two.

Yes, there is a correlation between female sex, obesity, and gallstones. Any nutrition expert would know this.
  • heyeyeya
    heyeyeya Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be Fat Fertile Females over Forty, but actually the numbers in terms of the sexes are becoming more even, and the average age is plummeting, thought to be due to earlier onset obesity.
  • Zedeff
    Options
    It's supposed to be Fat Fertile Females over Forty, but actually the numbers in terms of the sexes are becoming more even, and the average age is plummeting, thought to be due to earlier onset obesity.

We take gallbladders out of lots of kids these days in fact.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I fed my family for $20 per person per year or less for YEARS.

Say, what? ;)

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

You make no point once you or anyone says: calorie in vs calorie out. It either matters or not.

This is easily proved by fasting. If you consume zero nutrients, you will lose weight. It is not healthy to consume zero healthful substances. Ergo, it is possible to lose weight without a healthy diet.

Fine but the OP asked for advice on eating nutritious foods on a budget, not just for help with weight loss.
  • Beanessa
    Beanessa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Invest in some spices and then destroy the frozen veggie aisle. I basically live off the 365 brand from Whole Foods. A bag of frozen broccoli is about $2 and edamame is (I think) $3. I stir-fry it with no-calorie spray and garlic powder and whatever other spices I have around.

And like many have said, oatmeal. I buy the quick oats from Nature's Promise ($3), cook it with just water, and then usually put either 1/4 of an apple (a bag of apples is less than $3 at Stop & Shop - plus you get a snack while waiting for the oatmeal to cook!) with two tablespoons of marshmallow fluff (I think I paid $1.09 for the small jar which lasts quite a while) or dice a few pineapple chunks (price varies). Sometimes I simply put a couple blocks of dark chocolate (Hershey's cause I actually prefer cheap candy) in the pot right after I turn the heat off and have chocolate oatmeal.

The one thing I do splurge on is greek yogurt (Fage is my favorite), but if you grocery store hop, you can usually find a good brand on sale.

Also, cheese - Whole Foods' 365 brand again. Get the block and grate it yourself as it's MUCH cheaper (cheddar is $2.39 for 8oz.).

My biggest tip is that foods you have to cut, chop, cook yourself are almost always cheaper. It's more work, but if you're on a budget, it cuts down on expenses. Plus you can micro-manage what you put in your body.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    MFP needs to to create some sort of code to insta-delete all posts that speak of starvation mode as being a thing.

They should start with posts containing +91 code phone numbers
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with eating one meal a day if you're meeting your calorie and macro goals. But if you're looking to eat healthier, can you discuss your desires with your parents and tag along with them when they go to the store?

There is plenty wrong with eating just one meal a day. There are many factors that determine weight loss/weight gain, including resting metabolism and hormones. Eating one meal/day will put your body into a starvation mode.

Stopped reading here, and everyone else should have too.

yup.... cause when you show your ignorance, i stop reading....
  • Zedeff
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Fine but the OP asked for advice on eating nutritious foods on a budget, not just for help with weight loss.

This is true, but the conversation had moved on a bit over 3 pages. My response was to the quoted person, not the OP, just to clarify for future readers.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. What do you mean by "can only afford to eat once a day"? You can distribute your food as you want, meal timing is not important for health, but may be for satiety and thus compliance with diet. If your parents provide for you and are in charge of food in the household, they must let you eat enough! You could ask them to buy better food? How can you buy/make other food, you say you have no control over what's to eat?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm having a hard time eating healthy, I can only afford to eat once a day, and when It comes time to eat it's usually unhealthy, I don't buy the food, so I have no control over what there is to eat. Any advice, like cheap healthy meals to make.

Have you checked to see if you qualify for any aid?

You want to meet your calorie goal. If one meal a day can do that then fine but otherwise try to eat something rather than nothing. Eating too few calories is not healthy.
    Eat filling foods. Protein, fats and fiber will help you to feel full.
    Buy full fat dairy.
    Dry beans and lentils are very cheap and filling. You can cook and freeze them to use in recipes
    Oatmeal is cheap. Eggs, pasta, rice, and potatoes are not expensive.
    Canned fruits and vegetables may have added salt or sugar but are better than eating nothing.
    Buy generic or store brands.
    Frozen vegetables and fruits could reduce waste if you are the only person eating them. You can freeze many fresh fruits and vegetables if you see a good deal on something.
    A pot of soup is a good dollar stretcher. It freezes and reheats well.
    Buy whole foods. Don't pay for someone to shred, cut up, skin, peel, or debone your food. If you cook a whole chicken and take all the meat off it is like 5 c or so. You can freeze that and use it many ways. Chicken thighs can be cheaper that chicken breasts.
    Cut up meat and put in soup, stew, casseroles, stir fry, on pizza, eggs, etc instead of having a large portion solo.
    Single serving containers may be more expensive than a larger container so compare price per serving.
    Drink water.

There are some good recipes here-> budgetbytes.com