Sudden Bout of Rapid Weight Loss

Options
Okay, so for the past month I had gone from 190 lbs. to 185 lbs., and it was a constant fluctuation back and forth between this small 5 pound range.

Then, I started to eat only about 1,000 calories a day, condensed in one snack, one small meal, and one large meal. I'm drinking about the same amount of water. In only a few days, I went from 185 to 181.

How could this be?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Is there a reason why you're eating only 1000 cals/day? This is not a healthy strategy. The lowest recommended for a female is 1200, and that should be for very specific situations.

It's most likely your body is shedding water weight because it is depleting glycogen to meet your normal metabolic processes.

ETA: Just re-read your profile. Minimum recommendation for a male is 1500. WTF are you doing that to yourself?
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's probably a combination of factors. It's possible for you to be losing fat while not losing weight due to water retention - a few salty, carb-dense days will do that. Then you get frustrated and cut calories which intrinsically reduces your sodium and carb intake, plus depletes your glycogen stores. BAM. You shed your retained water plus some extra glycogen water and have a sudden drop, unmasking your true fat losses in the process.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you're eating only 1000 cals/day? This is not a healthy strategy. The lowest recommended for a female is 1200, and that should be for very specific situations.

It's most likely your body is shedding water weight because it is depleting glycogen to meet your normal metabolic processes.

It says "his" on the profile page...so I am assuming that the OP is male.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »

It says "his" on the profile page...so I am assuming that the OP is male.

Noted and corrected.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    When you eat a lot less, you lose a lot of water weight. When you eat more carbs, water is stored with it in your body to make the energy more accessible. It will come back just as fast when you increase your food intake, especially your carbs. But don't worry about it, just use it to keep motivated.

Also i think the amount of calories you are eating daily is unsustainable.

Rapid weightloss can cause gallstones. I've only just learnt this because I've just found out my father has gallstones.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have gallstones and gallstones alone don't require treatment. They are not a reason to avoid (rapid) weight loss.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Well when you have such a high deficit you'll lose weight quite rapidly. Just don't expect it to all be fat. You can kiss some of your muscle goodbye too.

Why are you only eating 1,000 calories a day? That is neither healthy nor sustainable.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thanasi99 wrote: »
    Okay, so for the past month I had gone from 190 lbs. to 185 lbs., and it was a constant fluctuation back and forth between this small 5 pound range.

Then, I started to eat only about 1,000 calories a day, condensed in one snack, one small meal, and one large meal. I'm drinking about the same amount of water. In only a few days, I went from 185 to 181.

How could this be?
    Well........

You ate less calories than you burned, that's why. Why are you eating 1,000 calories? That's unhealthy.