Macros

Options
for too long I've not gone about this in the right way. Now I've decided to be good to my body, not eliminate food groups / fast / try to get a quick fix. I've reduced my goal to a first goal not the end goal. I'm trying to eat in moderation, nothing is bad or good. However, I would be interested to know what you think are sensible macros for those trying moderation. There are lots out there for HFLC but not that I've seen for "moderation" Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    gemdood wrote: »
    for too long I've not gone about this in the right way. Now I've decided to be good to my body, not eliminate food groups / fast / try to get a quick fix. I've reduced my goal to a first goal not the end goal. I'm trying to eat in moderation, nothing is bad or good. However, I would be interested to know what you think are sensible macros for those trying moderation. There are lots out there for HFLC but not that I've seen for "moderation" Thanks in advance :)

Congrats on getting started.

MFP sets some reasonable defaults to cover a lot of people. I'd recommend starting with that for 2-3 weeks and focus on your calorie target. You may want to try a couple days at higher fat/protein levels to see how you feel, too.

Macros are secondary to your calorie deficit. A mix that meets your activity needs and helps you feel satisfied will help you succeed long term.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't know if it sensible or not, but I have mine set at 35% Carb, 30% Fat, and 35% protein. I find it keeps me feeling full for the day and allows me a fairly large range of foods.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    1 gram protein per lb lean bodymass, 0.4 grams fat per lb bodyweight, fill remaining calories with any macro you desire
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I don't know if it sensible or not, but I have mine set at 35% Carb, 30% Fat, and 35% protein. I find it keeps me feeling full for the day and allows me a fairly large range of foods.

I do the same. Personally, my engine seems to run better on a little more protein than seems typical for most people.
  • gemdood
    gemdood Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks people. I'll give the 35/30/35 a try........ Slightly bamboozled by term "lean body mass"... Maybe it's too early :smile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Moderation has nothing to do with your macros. Moderation is relating to food choices...

For a macro split to suit your goals I'd recommend going to IIFYM.com and putting your details in. The website will give you a split in grams, don't go on percentages.
  • gemdood
    Options
    Tried Iifym.com and lost the will to live. Tried mobile & pc too! With pop ups, won't let me enter body fat % and won't let me get any further without it. Cue frustration and desire to eat chocolate! Thanks for the info though @livingleanlivingclean
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1 gram protein per lb lean bodymass, 0.4 grams fat per lb bodyweight, fill remaining calories with any macro you desire

You'd have to know your bf % to work this out

So go with 0.64g protein per lb bodyweight ...as a minimum and 0.35g fat per lb of bodyweight as a minimum
  • gemdood
    Options
    That's given me the following in MFP j2o7u13jq5zu.jpg

Look sensible @rabbitjb ?

Thanks
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It allows toy to be 10stone 14 ...how odd

It's a good start ...remember as you add exercise (log 50% of. MFP suggested calories by double clicking and overwriting) those grammes will increase ...but as long as you have the in your head as a minimum to hit for p and f ...you should be good
  • gemdood
    Options
    Cheers :)