CleaningTips

NewMe80xoxo
NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
edited September 21 in Chit-Chat
I was wanting to know how different people clean...what do you clean everyday in your house? what is your cleaning for week like and month?? I'm trying to get a cleaning schdule so any tips would help! I have two living rooms, a bathroom, and bedroom, and kitchen to clean...the other bathroom and three bedrooms I dont touch!

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Hired a housekeeper about 10 years ago. Worth every penny.
  • jewelshere
    jewelshere Posts: 91
    Hired a housekeeper about 10 years ago. Worth every penny.

Best money I spend every month!
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    I do one room/area a week and break it down so I do something 3-days a week. Like for the bathroom:
    Day 1: Tub
    Day 2: Floor
    Day 3: Vanity and counter and clear clutter.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    My boyfriend and I sat down and made lists. First we listed every room in the house. Then we listed every thing that needed to be cleaned in that room. Then we decided how often each task needed to be performed (daily, weekly,or monthly) and who would be responsible for getting it done. Tried to copy the spreadsheet that I input in Excel below, but it looks like crap. Hopefully you get the general idea.

Room Daily Weekly Monthly
    Kitchen Load DW Wash/Unload DW Polish Appliances
    Pots & Pans Sweep "mop" floor
    Wetwipe surfaces vacuum rug
    Dining Room Open/put away mail Dust "mop" floor
    clear off table Sweep wet vac rug
    vacuum rug
    Stairs vacuum
    Living Room picking up after yourself Dust "mop" floor
    Sweep wet vac rug
    vacuum rug TV
    U Bathroom Wetwipe surfaces toilets "mop" floor
    sink & countertops Wash bathmat
    bathtub
    Sweep Floor
    mirror
    garbage
    L Bathroom Wetwipe surfaces toilets "mop" floor
    sink & countertops
    Sweep Floor
    mirror
    garbage
    Spare Room put clothes in hamper Dust
    vacuum
    Bed Room put clothes in hamper vacuum Rug "mop" floor
    Sweep floor
    Dust
    Garbage
    Rabbit cage changing litter pan sweeping behind/under breaking down cage
    food & water
    laundry taking downstairs/sorting
    washing/drying
    taking upstairs
    folding/hanging
    Putting away
    Muffin going outside (4 x day)
    food & water
    grooming
    Basement Sweep
    take out garbage
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    There's a really awesome website called realsimple.com. They have all kinds of cleaning advice, as well as cooking, fashion, interior design etc. Their monthly magazine is pretty much the greatest thing of all time (but you can get most of it online for free). You should check it out!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I don't use a schedule, I just clean when my internal OCD alarm goes off that it's getting messy. I do laundry when the basket is full and wash my sheets with it (about every 2 weeks), I wipe down the bathroom and kitchen about once a month, and pick up the clutter on the desk and coffee table when it starts to accumulate. I vacuum less frequently, whenever I start to notice stuff on the floor. I live alone, however, so I really don't make much mess. I just cleaned this weekend for everything and it'll stay that way for a while.
  • cynditoney
    cynditoney Posts: 90
    I just move when it gets dirty. Just kidding!!
    I try to pick up everything before I go to bed, and clean as I see it needs it. I do not have a rigid schedule, since sometimes I am home less often than others.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    True enough road dog! I have a schedule on my fridge (with lofty goals) I concentrate on a thorough clean of one area everyday. For example on Mondays I cut up veggies organize food in fridge and make a menu. On Tuesdays I do a thorough clean of kitchen top to bottom counters,etc. Wednesday is bedrooms the week goes on. On friday I vaccum and freshen anything I need to for the weekend. I need to break up everything into small achievable tasks. It adds a little bit of interest and gives me a sense of order. The actual schedule is always the same and I have a list at the bottom of special projects that change each week so that I have a list to check off. I also have this weird fascination with neat cupboards and drawers so if I am on the phone I will neaten my drawer at the same time. I have five year old twins so the order and the multi tasking is required! It isi kind of fun, I think but do not think for one minute that I have a spotless home ohcontraire! There is a really neat website and cleaning programme called Fly Lady .com check it out it is to house organiztion what MFP is to diet.. "She" sends little daily affirmations and gives great cleaning tips!!
  • EmilysMommy
    EmilysMommy Posts: 78 Member
    I have a One year old so I clean everything everyday! I make a list of every room in the house and under each room I rite every thing that needs to be done in that room today! Like this:

Living Room: Sweep, Mop, Dust, Clean Windows
    Kitchen: Sweep, Mop, Wash Dishes, Wipe down counters and table, Clean Window's
    Bathroom #1: Sweep, Mop, Clean Toilet, Wipe Counters, Clean Bath Tub, Clean the Mirror
    Bedroom(master): Make the bed, Dust, Vacuum, Fold and put away Laundry
    Bathroom#2: Sweep, Mop, Clean Toilet, Wipe the Counters, Clean Bathtub, Clean the Mirror
    Bedroom#2: Vacuum, Pick up all the Toys, Dust, Fold and put away babies clothes

Of course not everything there has to be done every day, like dusting and mopping. I dust everything in the house once a week, and I mop the floors every other day. You just have to find the routine that is right for you. Hope this helps.
  • oAngieMaeo
    oAngieMaeo Posts: 67
    go to www.flylady.com

They help organize and keep it a DAILY cleaning schedule for like 15 minutes a day to keep caught up!
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Well I clean up the kitchen several times a day...after each meal. --Sweeping, wiping table off, wiping counters, unloading dishwasher, putting up dishes and pans.

I pick up toys all throughout the house everyday. -- The kids officially clean their rooms twice a week, once during the week and once on the weekend.

Vacuum the house, well all the carpeted rooms. -- I do this several times a week with all our traffic and such.

Sweep the floors. -- Usually once a day at the very least.

Laundry -- I do a few loads a day everyday.

Bathrooms. -- I usually save this mess for the weekends unless they just get really gross and I'll clean them during the week. Once a week for me is enough most of the time.

Dusting....I do when I remember or when everything is covered in a nice layer of dust and I go "oh crap, I need to dust"

Trash -- Usually take this out every other day.

Pick up around the yard and lawn work. --- This is usually done every Saturday...along with cleaning the pool.
  • 4me2sibiai
    4me2sibiai Posts: 71
    Just to let you know that MFP gives "calories burned" under the exercise section for housecleaning! I didn't know if you knew this. :)
This discussion has been closed.