Always Hungry

I started using MFP again after a long break from not using it and I lost 6lbs in the first week back using it which is great. My main problem that I can't seem to overcome though is that the calories I'm allowed leaves me constantly hungry to the point that all I can think about is getting to my next meal so I can eat. This is the main reason I stopped using MFP.

To lose 1lb a week, MFP is allowing 1568 calories a day which my body doesn't seem to think is enough. I exercise 5 days a week (currently Insanity Max 30) so I get to add a few more calories to the 1568 but it still doesn't seem to be enough. I guess I'm looking for some suggestions on how I can fight the constant hunger I'm having and still lose weight.

Replies

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Maybe it's not enough?

If you are exercising 5 times per week, doing something with the word "Insanity" in the title, you will need to refuel with something. MFP tells me to eat about 1200 cal to lose 1kg per week. I know from experience (just ask my husband) that I am not a very nice person to live with when I'm eating 1200, I am hangry all the time. 1200 is just not enough.

I am currently eating 1820 per day. Take a Karate class 2 times per week. 5'8" female with a desk job otherwise. Losing 1kg per week.

Try plugging your numbers into something like this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and check out the number in "Daily calories based on goal in step 6" I just guessed that you were my height, 198lbs and put in that you were doing 3-5 hours per week of moderate exercise, and it says you need more like 2400 calories to lose 63lbs per year or a little more than 1lb per week. Even when I switch your activity level to light, it still wants you to eat 2100 cal per day.

I am still learning, but all of these forums say it is not very complicated, just calories in, calories out. If you are feeling hungry (real hungry, not all-in-your-mind hungry), it is probably because you need it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Agreed. It is possible that you really do need more food. Are you sure you have your activity level set correctly? If it is something you ca do, try getting a Fitbit tracker to see what your actual daily burn really is. I found out with mine that I can eat more than I was previously and still loose weight.
  • Deelishous
    Deelishous Posts: 9 Member
    What's your protein intake like? With your activity level, it sounds like you may need more protein. I would try to incorporate some type of protein in every meal. It will keep you full longer. (You may go over your calorie intake but you can still lose the weight.)
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Try this:
    drink 16 oz. of water before meals
    eat meals every 2-3 hours
    make meal macro/calorie counts evenly spaced
    keep food interesting with spices
    cut down on processed foods - lots of hidden sugar & salt
    count liquid calories - especially regular soda & alcohol

If your body goes into "starvation mode" it will hold onto weight/fat - or if you hit a plateau change up your diet & exercise routine. Every time you lose 5 lbs - check your calorie/macro/exercise requirements then adjust.

And most important - believe with every fiber of your being that you can do this!