Losing muscle?

Options
Surprisingly I lost 2 pounds and down to 151- I weight as much as my little sister. I lost it within a week and I'm always under my caloric deficit but yesterday I had a lot of fruit. Surprisingly there was a lot of healthy food and still under calorie deficit except I went a little over board on the sugar. I had a special super food tortilla dip that was so good but didn't know how to log it in bc it was somebody else's and I had 2 3x3 white cake. Goal right now is to get to 149- I made my goals into small increments to push me along. But how do you guys think? I eat everyday and the thing I have trouble is sodium, sugar an iron. I take a iron supp But OVERALL: am I losing muscle? And how can I get ahold of my sodium, sugar and iron intake better?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    One week is too small a time frame to tell. It's most likely a combination of fat, muscle, and water.

If you don't have a reason to watch sodium/sugar, I wouldn't worry too much about going over. I don't even track either of them. For sodium, less processed foods and eating out will help.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie defecit means you will lose weight over time

Sugar doesn't matter as long as you are not diabetic

Every pound you lose is made up of fat, water and LBM...in the early weeks a lot is waste in the body and water

Over 8 weeks average your weight loss, if it's over your goal eat more

If you don't have much to lose or don't weigh much a 2lb target may be too high and you lose more LBM than you need to
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sodium is considered a maximum
    Protein and fats a minimum

Iron doesn't track well on here as lots of the entries are incomplete...same for other vitamins

Hit a good nutritional balance with a wide variety of vegetables and fruits on top of hitting your macros, and try to ensure you hit your calcium target
  • chandelierbee
    chandelierbee Posts: 95 Member
    Options

If you don't have much to lose or don't weigh much a 2lb target may be too high and you lose more LBM than you need to [/quote]

What if I have 20-30 pounds to lose? That too much?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

If you don't have much to lose or don't weigh much a 2lb target may be too high and you lose more LBM than you need to

What if I have 20-30 pounds to lose? That too much? [/quote]

.5-1 pound a week will be better for you. 2 pounds a week is usually reserved for those with 75+ to lose, plus it will take you lower than MFP's minimum intake.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options

What if I have 20-30 pounds to lose? That too much? [/quote]

2 lbs per week is perfectly safe.