Excited about Exercise Again! Also: What should I ask a new Personal Trainer?

Options
I have a really hard time staying motivated when it comes to exercise, mostly because I get bored very easily. I end up doing all sorts of things to trick myself into working out or setting goals. "If I run three days a week I'll buy myself a Flipbelt" is a most recent one. But even rewarding myself with fitness gadgets hasn't really help lately, so I finally bit the bullet and started looking into personal trainers again.

I worked with a personal trainer about three years ago and loved it. But the amount I was spending a month was pretty much a car payment and I just couldn't see how I could continue to budget it (plus I got a new job and moved away from the gym :neutral: )

After asking a few friends at work I found someone who has a personal trainer with fairly reasonable rates (4 half hour sessions for $100) and I set up my first session. I'm REALLY hoping he's a good fit for me, especially since I KNOW I can handle working out (the first time I was worried about hurting myself).

Does anyone have any suggestions about questions to ask or what direction to take? I was originally very passive with my first trainer and did well, but I really want to get the most from my money this time.

Replies

• mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What training/certifications do they have?
    How long have they been training and working?
    Tell them your weaknesses - ex. core, upper body, lower body - and what has worked in the past.
    To avoid the extreme $$$$ do a couple of training sessions then once a month have them do a form check to make sure your form is correct and that you are increasing weight amounts in a safe manner.

Above everything respect your body. If you feel a sharp pain - stop and don't do that exercise again. I had a trainer that had me doing floor work - crunches etc. Sharp pain in my lower back, I didn't stop - trying to "push myself". That landed me in the hospital with a tear to my lower back. UGH!!!!!