Walking goals for a beginner?

Options
phurst00
phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
I work from home with a lot of sitting and want to start walking as a way to build my stamina back up so that I can start doing workout classes again. My plan is to take a quick walk every 1-2 hours and drink a glass of water after each one. My question is, what step goal should I set for the day? I'd rather do a step goal than a time (ie must walk 15 minutes each time etc). Once I have a step goal I want to add on each day (I have a pedometer).

I just have no idea what number to start with - any tips or ideas would be awesome!

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Why not just go for your standard walk and see what number you get, and then increase as you decide. Lots of people start with 10,000 steps but that was an arbitrary number chosen because it is "lucky".
    Start where you are and go up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's walking. Let's not overthink this. Go for a walk in then go for a longer walk.

I wouldn't count on getting too much of a stamina increase tho
  • robster160
    robster160 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    DavPul has it right. Start with a fun, enjoyable walk and add to it day by day, week by week. It's the long haul and you'll enjoy it more with a modest goal that you increase gradually. How does 10 min feel, or 30, or 60? Pick a level you enjoy then add to it.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    It's walking. Let's not overthink this. Go for a walk in then go for a longer walk.

Way to motivate...
  • mdstratts
    mdstratts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi phurst00,

When I started walking and using a Fitbit, my daily goal was 5,000 steps. It was an achievable goal and it helped get me started. For the next couple of weeks, this is what I did. Then I increased it to 5,500 steps, then another 500 steps a couple weeks later and then, before I knew it, I was hitting 8-9K without any trouble. Since then, I've tried to maintain a daily pace of at least 10K steps.

As to the glass of water when finished, I'd look more to drinking enough water thru the day instead of targeted times. But, that's just me.

I wish you well and hope this helps out in some small way...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Agree with not overthinking. Just go for a walk and enjoy it. As you keep walking, you'll be able to walk further and further.

Don't make it harder than it needs to be, you know? Just do what you can and don't worry about the numbers. They're going to be whatever they're going to be. All you can do is your best, so don't worry about whether your best meets some number goal or not.

Can't do better than your best. :)
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    mdstratts wrote: »
    Hi phurst00,

When I started walking and using a Fitbit, my daily goal was 5,000 steps. It was an achievable goal and it helped get me started. For the next couple of weeks, this is what I did. Then I increased it to 5,500 steps, then another 500 steps a couple weeks later and then, before I knew it, I was hitting 8-9K without any trouble. Since then, I've tried to maintain a daily pace of at least 10K steps.

As to the glass of water when finished, I'd look more to drinking enough water thru the day instead of targeted times. But, that's just me.

I wish you well and hope this helps out in some small way...

This! Also, as you get to were you can comfortably walk for a half hour without feeling winded, you may want to add some light jogging to help build your stamina. Maybe 30 seconds jogging and walk for 4:30 to build up your endurance (continue upping the time jogging and decreasing the time walking as you feel stronger and it gets easier to run) and help you to get to feeling comfortable about doing workout classes.

Good luck to you! :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    phurst00 wrote: »

Way to motivate...

How is that not motivating? It's the truth and allows you to set realistic expectations and goals that will have you succeeding rather than getting disappointed and giving up.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    katkins3 wrote: »
    Why not just go for your standard walk and see what number you get, and then increase as you decide. Lots of people start with 10,000 steps but that was an arbitrary number chosen because it is "lucky".
    Start where you are and go up.

10,000 is "lucky?"
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would try to mix in 5 to 10-minute circuit-training. --Fitness Blender, Pop Sugar... --challenge yourself.
  • i0am6me
    i0am6me Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mine is 4000, but my pedometer doesn't always pick up my steps. My job is mostly a desk job, so I have to do almost all my walking after work. Going to the grocery store can easily do 500-1000 steps if I have things to pick up on both ends of the store, and a half hour walk (15 minutes out and back) usually gives me between 2500 and 3000 steps.
  • itacoach77
    itacoach77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi phurst00,
    It depends on your job category and your profession. If you are a nurse or a teacher, you will easily do 10.000 steps every day.
    I suggest you to start walking and using a Fitbit. it's very effective because it counts all the passes of the day and you can link it with MFP.
    If you use podometer, I will start with 5.000/6.000 passes.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options

If you're not just taking a leisurely stroll, you will increase your stamina. The trick is to make your heart beat faster than it would if you were just sitting around.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Easiest plan is the slowest. Wear a pedometer. Find out your existing average. Add 20% each week onto the previous week until you reach 10,000.

Once I got to being able to do 25,000 steps a day, I could do intervals running. Most people don't need THAT level of walking to do jogging, but I did. I'd tried to jog like I used to a number of times and COULD NOT DO IT. So to me, this is phenomenal.
  • debbie0482
    debbie0482 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with mdstratts. I walk around inside my home while playing music (60s on 6). Sometimes I walk to the beat and other times I don't. I move the coffee table out and scoot a chair over and go. I do wear a pedometer and can easily rack up 5,000 steps in about an hour. You can increase movement just by moving your arms up and down. This walking regimen works for me especially when it's so hot and humid outside here in KY. Keep the ped on and see how much more you can do during the day.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    phurst00 wrote: »

Way to motivate...

It's the truth. Unless the OP is very out of shape or the walk is very brisk (14 min a mile pace or better) it won't provide much in the way of a stamina increase.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...not sure what your current fitness level is but I would suggest wearing your pedometer for a few days and just see how many steps you average. Then increase from there maybe by 250 step...500 steps...whatever you are comfortable with. Soon you will be able to set a reasonable goal.

As far as endurance...first work on distance or time...then try to increase the speed. A 4.0mph is considered brisk walking and it will improve your endurance. I usually average a 3.5 in the summer when it is hot.

Short 10 or 15 min walks won't burn a lot of calories but it will be beneficial to your health.

There are several walking sites that have training schedules for walking a 5k or 10k. They start off slow and increase time and distance over the course of a few weeks.

There is a site call The Walking Site and another that I have used is a site by Hal Higdon.

Hope this helps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips here. I added ten percent to my average and worked my way up. I re-evaluated weekly and if I was easily hitting the target, I raised it. At a certain point I felt confident enough to do forty minutes a day. That's when I started to really notice a difference in my fitness level. But you absolutely have the right idea to work up to it.