Fear of a Personal Trainer?

Options
Hello all! I have 3 free sessions with a Personal Trainer at my gym. Silly me is scared to use them. I am currently very out of shape and I'm embarrassed for a personal trainer to see my limitations. Also, when my husband used his the trainer did not do things correctly. Has anyone else felt this prior to working with a trainer? How did you get over it?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally gone through it but I have a few pieces of advice that may help you...

1) Not every personal trainer is the same, just like not every doctor is the same. They all have slightly different experiences, personalities, etc.

2) The whole point of going to see a trainer is that you're out of shape and don't know what you're doing. It's their job to be empathetic to your situation and help guide you to becoming a better you.

3) Please be honest with the trainer during your sessions. Don't move through pain/discomfort just because you're embarrassed. If you have certain limitations, it's their job to work with/around them.

Above all else, if you're not happy with one trainer, asked to be scheduled with someone else. You'll do fine!! No worries!
  • Genetic_tea_drinker
    Options
    I'm so overwight and out of shape. I can't fit into my clothes and running is a nightmare.
    However if I had the oppertunity to consult with a Personal Trainer I would jump at it, metaphorically of course. lolol, because it's their job to help you to get to were you want to be. If slim, healthy people went to see personal trainers their jobs would be pointless and they would be bored stiff.
    I think a trainer would be more likely to want to help you and be impressed that you are taking a step to a healthier life style rather than missing the opertunity.

When I started at a gym I said to myself:
    "Waling here is impressive cuz I'm taking the step to make a change and walking out of here is impressive because i've made that change"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    As a PT, my job is to assist anyone that needs help. We know they are probably uninformed on how to workout, on workout form, out of shape, etc. and are job is specifically to help them overcome that.
    Fear is good. That means you're probably serious about doing this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HuskerforLife
    HuskerforLife Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As a PT, my job is to assist anyone that needs help. We know they are probably uninformed on how to workout, on workout form, out of shape, etc. and are job is specifically to help them overcome that.
    Fear is good. That means you're probably serious about doing this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good to hear from one himself :) I'll set up my sessions this morning!
  • Michaelsdin
    Michaelsdin Posts: 146
    Options
    my personal trainer was a joke i went in he didnt show me how to use anything all he talk to me about is what to eat and crap. I already know how to eat all he was after was $ i told him i couldnt afford the 50$ per session for them to give me something i can do on myfitnesspal. So needless to say i am looking for a personal trainer in training cause they usually don't charge and do it to get hours for their diploma.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing. 3 free personal training sessions when I joined my gym. I really didn't want to go at all, but I did and have never regretted it. I've been training now 1-2x/week for the last 2.5 months with him and love it. I lost 10+ lbs and about 15 inches I would have never lost otherwise.

My trainer is the best thing thats ever happened to me. He pushes me to do things he knows im capable of that i'd never do on my own
  • HuskerforLife
    HuskerforLife Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing. 3 free personal training sessions when I joined my gym. I really didn't want to go at all, but I did and have never regretted it. I've been training now 1-2x/week for the last 2.5 months with him and love it. I lost 10+ lbs and about 15 inches I would have never lost otherwise.

My trainer is the best thing thats ever happened to me. He pushes me to do things he knows im capable of that i'd never do on my own

Wow! That's awesome! I just got home and attempted to set up my sessions but the front desk lady was not helpful at all! I started to set up a time but remembered I will be out of town. She rolled her eyes, and I told her I'll just set it up when I come back.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes once you start! ....and don't let the front desk lady put you off, I don't like my front desk lady either :p