When someone important to you gets you down

Options
2»

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss.

I can say that sometimes we label a relationship one way while the other person may not give it the same label. My daughter once told me I was her best friend and the was the beginning of a very painful conversation - basically to express that I was not her 'friend.' Your mother seems to be having a hard time dealing with the changes you have made, something many of us have gone through, I believe in time it will get better but, you probably won't forget how she has made you feel with the things already said. If you are doing this for yourself, keep at it and use that pain from those words to motivate you.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've kind of given up on expecting my husband to be my cheerleader in my quest to lose weight and get healthier :(

What I have done, is surround myself with friends who DO support me and cheer me on. Hubby says "is your diet helping with this?" (As he pokes my belly)...my gym friends say "you're looking slimmer" "nice legs" and "your waist is definitely getting smaller! !"

Wow, that is a terrible thing for your husband to say and do! You should NOT be treated like that. I bolded the GOOD comments because those matter. Keep it up! You are doing this for YOU anyway!

ETA, I also like @mom216's response.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    OP, how do you think your mom would respond if she read this thread? Perhaps you should talk to her about this frankly, once, and see how she reacts. Definitely start the conversation with the exact sentence you started here: My mum is my best friend and her opinion is very important to me.

After that, implementing all of the techniques mentioned in the above comments is a great idea. Good luck and congrats!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love my mom with all my heart, but sometimes she says hurtful things. I have tried to tell her when she says things, "that was really mean" or hurtful or rude or unsupportive; but nothing has ever worked. I now employ two strategies, I have told her when she says something hurtful I will say "that was really hurtful" and get up and walk away. Conversation ended. If I am in a situation where I cannot walk away; I say "that was really hurtful" and I stop talking. Conversation ended. This has not changed my mother from making comments, but does make her realize that she is hurting me with her words.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If your mom is on MFP you've probably just told her how you feel, unless she is unaware of the forums. But, I think your post is not offensive so maybe it would be good if she sees it.