Back and Abdominal pain + Looking at support devices for chair and to wear.

Options
I have problems with my lower back hurting all the time ever since I gained a lot of weight. It is especially bad at the computer and when eating at a table. I want to find something I can put on the back of a chair that would give my back the proper support. I always feel like the computer chair back especially is too far back to actually be able to lean against it for relief. So I want something that I can lean on without going waaaay back. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find this kind of thing and which kind of device would be good.

Secondly I've been having pretty intense upper abdominal pain that radiates into my back and shoulders. At first I thought it was stress and anxiety, but I am beginning to think it might be something more physical. Well until I can see a doctor I was thinking I'd get some kind of support device I can wear, a back support or posture back support maybe. Does anyone know of a good product for this and does it help with the pain a lot?

Replies

• Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If it was me I would see a doctor ASAP. Intense abdominal could indicate a serious health issue. Please go get it checked out.
  • julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What I do:-
    Buy a decent ergonomic chair that provides the support for your lower back.
    Get regular massages.
    Walk every day.
    Stretch every day.
    Do back strengthening exercises.

I am not a doctor, and can only speak for myself, but I have never had any sort of abdominal pain that relates to my weight or my back issues. If it was me I would be making it a priority to see a Doctor about that one.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The abdominal pain is cause for concern and I think you should really be getting onto a doctor about that. Uppewr abdominal pain which radiates out to the back and shoulders can be indicative of liver/pancreatic issues among other things.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Your back has it's own support system - your abdominal muscles. Leaning against anything is going to relax your abdominal muscles, which is simply going to worsen the problem. I would sit up straight unsupported, while focusing on contracting your abdominals.. all day long. :+1:

Abdominal pain radiating to the back & shoulders can be from gallbladder or pancreas problems, so talk to your doctor soon. If symptoms worsen and you get a fever, go to an emergency room ASAP.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That abdominal pain is concerning and I don't think there is any support that will relieve it.

For lower back pain, you likely need to elevate your legs, perhaps with a stool under the desk. Your abdominal muscles are weak, not supporting your back as they should. Walking will help. My hubby gets lower back pain and stretches while laying in his back and gentle sit ups give him relief. Topical Voltarin, over the counter, provides temporary relief and is an anti-inflammatory.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    That pain that radiates to your back could be a sign of pancreatitis, and that can be fatal.

You should seriously go see a doctor, or even pay a visit to the ER.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Your back has it's own support system - your abdominal muscles. Leaning against anything is going to relax your abdominal muscles, which is simply going to worsen the problem. I would sit up straight unsupported, while focusing on contracting your abdominals.. all day long. :+1:

Abdominal pain radiating to the back & shoulders can be from gallbladder or pancreas problems, so talk to your doctor soon. If symptoms worsen and you get a fever, go to an emergency room ASAP.

That's what it is for me!

And just after I had lost enough weight to "cure" my sciatic nerve pain. What helped with that lower back pain was sleeping/laying with a pillow under my knees. But I rarely feel pain from it now, although if I've been running too much it flares up.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    But see a doctor about it. Maybe it's going to get better, but if it's your gallbladder/pancreas/something else serious, you can't get help over the counter.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Def see a doc for the abdominal pain.

For the chair, you can get ergonomic cushions, mesh supports, etc.
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Office-Products-Back-Cushions-Seat/zgbs/office-products/1069194

Good if you can make your whole work area as ergonomic as possible (seat height, armrests, monitor, keyboard, mouse - when they're not right, it can lead to repetitive use injuries over time).
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I did end up finding a pretty good back support for my computer chair. And thankfully I do have health insurance again, so I will be scheduling a doctor appointment with someone. Hopefully there is not a huge waiting list!