must have vitamins, and supplements?

Options
I don't need a duffel bag full, I just want a few of the must have vitamins and supplements.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Just eat a balanced diet.

People got along just fine for centuries without having vitamin pills available. ;)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Source Micro Max and my Joint supplement are my only must haves. Without the joint supplement my knees are impossible to live with and the Source has improved my hair and nails and has even almost eliminated my seasonal allergies. :)

I do also take a daily multivitamin but I don't consider it as necessary as the others.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

People got along just fine for centuries without having vitamin pills available. ;)

I agree. The only dietary supplements I take (excluding stuff like protein shakes and fortified foods) are ones prescribed by my doctor due to a vitamin deficiency. People very rarely need supplements that contain 500-1000% RDA of every single vitamin/mineral; the risks of vitamin toxicity (especially with the fat-soluble vitamins) is much higher for those who take those mega-dose supplements when they really don't need them in the first place.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Supplements only give you more expensive urine.

Just eat a variety of nutritious foods and you will be better off.
  • shadowfax_c11
    edited July 2015
    Options

Riiigghhht... so the fact that things like scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) and rickets vitamin D deficiency and pellagra (niacin/B3 deficiency) were so much more common back in those days than they are now. People were getting along alright and often dying a lot younger from a lot of very preventable things.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I take Vitamin D, quality multi vitamin, caffeine, protein powder, creatine, and leucine (for fasted training)

• mgonyer123
    mgonyer123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I take Saint Johns Wart, vitamin B complex, and cayenne pepper capsules. First two are for pms
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    mgonyer123 wrote: »
    I take Saint Johns Wart, vitamin B complex, and cayenne pepper capsules. First two are for pms

What's the cayenne for?
  • seska422
    edited July 2015
    Options

Riiigghhht... so the fact that things like scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) and rickets vitamin D deficiency and pellagra (niacin/B3 deficiency) were so much more common back in those days than they are now. People were getting along alright and often dying a lot younger from a lot of very preventable things.
    Yeah, because some people didn't know what constituted, or couldn't obtain, a balanced diet. Science has learned a lot since then.

We have the ability to look at the data on what we need to eat for a balanced diet and eat that. If a doctor does blood tests and finds that we are low on something, we can then take a supplement for it.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like multivitamin, glucosamine, fish oil, and calcium. I don't know if they will help or anything, but I don't think they would hurt.
  • LC932017
    LC932017 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D cause I'm deficient
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Yeah, because some people didn't know what constituted, or couldn't obtain, a balanced diet. Science has learned a lot since then.

We have the ability to look at the data on what we need to eat for a balanced diet and eat that. If a doctor does blood tests and finds that we are low on something, we can then take a supplement for it.

Or just take a supplement for preventative measures. The normal ranges on a blood chart tell you if you're within the range for the average of the population. And that population is mostly overweight and unhealthy individuals (at least here in the States). You can't eat a perfect nutrient dense meal every meal, so taking a multi is probably a good idea.

There is also quite a bit of research on supplements such as creatine which has pretty good benefits when it comes to strength training. Also supplements such as protein are useful for convenience purposes.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin to fill in any gaps and like to use protein powder to help me meet my protein needs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Doctor's won't spontaneously do these tests, or necessarily do the right ones. I asked for the vitamin D test when I moved back to Massachusetts and found I'm low. Vitamin D deficiency has become a worldwide issue in the elderly and remains common in children and adults.

Despite my cholesterol being fine all my life, this is the test doctors want to do automatically, and despite being first been diagnosed with anemia 28 years ago, I have to ask to get my iron levels tested.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    My fiancée used to be really into supplements and vitamins, but now that she eats a pretty well-balanced diet she stopped using them. She hasn't noticed any difference other than she has a little extra pocket money.
  • shadowfax_c11
    edited July 2015
    Options

You do realise that you just contradicted yourself... right?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A good doctor will run all kinds of blood tests when you have your physical and will recommend supplements where you need them. If you don't need them, don't take them. Save yourself the headache. I take a multivitamin because I just don't have a diet balanced enough to get everything in, but the rest of my supplements are because I have to take them, not because I like taking stupid pills. Taking pills is kind of a pain in the butt, especially when you can't take this one within X hours of that one...and this one has to be taken when you've fasted, but that one has to be taken with food.

Most people end up taking pills at some point in their life and most of them hate it. Put it off as long as you can, lol.

Not really. People got sick and died from vitamin deficiencies. Around the world, people continue to be sick and die because they lack vitamins and minerals.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I juice daily to supplement my diet to ensure I am getting everything I need. Usually I juice kale, spinach, arugula, chard, beets, carrots, apple, and pineapple. I also supplement with a vegan protien drink because I seldom eat meat, and I don't want to use all my calories on nuts lol. I also take a liquid vitamin D, a B complex (I am deficient), and coenzyme Q10. I track my micros and this combo ensure I am consistently close to meeting my levels on a daily basis. Oh yeah, I do eat bananas and caco nibs regularly for potassium and magnesium.

I think it's better to get your nutrients from foods rather than a supplement whenever possible.
  • seska422
    edited July 2015
    Options

You do realise that you just contradicted yourself... right?
    It wouldn't be the first time. ;)

People, as a whole, did not die out. Individuals (some people) who didn't eat a balanced diet did have problems.

Sailors on ships didn't know they needed Vitamin C to avoid scurvy and didn't bring fruit with them. If they had eaten fruit, they would have been fine. They did not have Vitamin C supplements available but they weren't "must have" because fruits would have done the trick. The people who didn't get scurvy were eating things that had Vitamin C, whether they knew it or not.

I have nothing against supplements at all. If you want to use them (carefully so that you don't overdose) then great. However, I don't think there are any "must have" vitamin supplements because a balanced diet (and we know what that means these days) will provide what we need.