Has anyone had success losing 1.5 pound a week?

Options
I just finished my freshmen year of college and unfortunately I gained 15 pounds.
I've successfully lost about five in the past two months. In the fall of 2013 I lost 15 pounds and kept it off until this spring. I struggled with overeating due to stress because of course work. But now I really want to lose the remaining weight before I head back to college this fall.
I am 5'6" currently 130 pounds. My goal is to get back down to 121 pounds by the end of August (because it's my anniversary with my boyfriend).
I work a desk job during the day, but I commute to work on my bike (around 50 minutes of moderate exercise). I also do HIIT for 28 minutes 3 times a week. I enjoy going for walks and try to be as active as possible.
I'm wondering if anyone had been successful with losing a pound and a half a week? Any tips for sticking to my plan?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I lost 1.5 pounds a week consistently for 4 months, a pound a week after that. I wouldn't recommend losing that fast unless you have more than 20 pounds to lose and you're doing regular resistance training. In fact you should be doing regular resistance training with any weight loss routine. It's doable and sustainable.

My tips are use intermittent fasting (lean gains), eat a ton of vegetables and lean protein. Get most of your fats from omega 3 rich sources or take a supplement. Those things will help keep you from feeling starving all the time, and aren't really required. It's just how I did it.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's too aggressive at your current height and weight. Way too aggressive in my opinion. If you had more weight to lose, I'd say go for it, but in reality, 1 lb a week is the max I'd recommend for you. You are already a healthy weight for height anyways. I'd consider your goal bordering on underweight though that's hard to tell just by numbers without knowing your current physique. I'd skip the weight loss plan all together and focus on body recomposition. I think the end result might yield you a superior physique then just losing weight. If you are determined to just lose weight, I'd still make sure you are doing some kind of weight lifting along with getting in adequate protein.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    With your stats, it's not advisable to have such an aggressive goal. What's the rush?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your weight is already fine. Aim for a half a pound loss at most, otherwise you'll just burn your muscles and I don't think it's what you really want.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    with that little to lose (even if it doesnt seem like it to you) I would set it for a half pound a week. it will take longer and be harder to lose the weight than if you had more to lose (i know, not fair!)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.1 pounds per week for my first six months, but I started with a goal of losing 45 (which later became 65). I lost the last 15 at about one-third of a pound per week. That was sustainable. I agree with those who suggest half a pound per week.
  • amberets96
    amberets96 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in this mode where I just want to get it done because a lot of my clothes don't fit etc. But I'll try to pace myself.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight already. Losing that quickly can lead to a lot of muscle loss rather than fat.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    well I just learned something new today ^^ . Glad I Read this . Iam at a healthy weight (120lbs) 5'5 with 5lbs to go
    Ive been eating 1380 calories everyday..> but now! ill up them! I defenately dont want to lose muscle .. i'll up mines to 0.5 lb loss . :s
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    I lost 1 kg/week for the first 4 months. That felt quite comfortable for me. :)

During that time my cycling and walking also increased.