Can't force myself to 1000 calories!!

Options
13»

Replies

• cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it because it's not going to last. The drug becomes less effective day by day. That is why after a month or two they will increase the dose. So as long as it's short term and you are under a doctors care I would just continue on as you are.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    OP

I've lost 55lbs since Jan 1, 2015... My doctor wanted to put my on Metformin, I tried it for 2 weeks and felt sick. Stopped taking it and just stayed within a calorie deficit. I do workout about 5 days a week though and am active for at least 30 minutes every day.

It is possible without any medications. PLUS you have to learn what foods you work for you to sustain the loss.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I may be completely crazy here, but if you are taking a drug to force yourself to lose weight, how will you learn how to keep it off? Its like reading a book to a kid instead of letting him figure it out. Yeah, he gets the storyline, but who is reading to him next time?

Barring illnesses and disorders, the body is completely capable of dropping 1-3 lbs per week and still be healthy without drugs. The heavier you are, the easy it is to lose; the lighter you are, the harder it is to lose. Therefore, at some point in your progress, the drugs will cause more harm than they are worth, and you will manifest some sort of eating or psychological disorder and be worse off than when you started.

This is all my opinion, of course. I don't have a clue what "Phen" is, except maybe Phenylbarbytol (or however its spelled) to control epileptic seizures. I am just against using anything unnatural in the body for something that the body controls on its own just because the person can't deal with it.

OP, you admitted two posts in that the drug controls your food choices. What happens when you stop? What will you have learned? The only lesson I see you learning is to take drugs to lose weight. Consider that. If you are going to continue the course, at least educate yourself on the physiology of nutrition. Why do you make poor food choices? Is there something in the food that draws you in? When you eat sugar, for instance, how does your brain react?
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't understand - forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but you're taking an appetite suppressant and complaining that you can't eat enough?
  • Neefa_girl
    Neefa_girl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I reckon you can lose it without any meds, because that way, you will learn how to keep it off long term.. :) I lost a few years ago 132lbs with just diet and exercise.. It wasnt done rapidly, but it was done healthily :) Good luck hun..
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here.
    The appetite suppressant prescription is a hastily applied bandaid that is guaranteed to rip out at some point and cause even more problems than what you have now.

On top of the RD recommendation, I'd also recommend a psychiatrist that will enable you to visit the reasons that brought you to this predicament in the first place.

Best of luck, looking forward to seeing you in the success story section.

• Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If your on phentermine under a drs/ order they should have you on a diet to follow, and all these questions should be directed towards the dr and nutritionist you are seeing while being prescribed the phentermine. I have been on the phentermine before. be careful, its not a long term plan and it doesn't actually teach you anything. you still need to learn portion control on your own and utilize the pills properly, not just not eat and then lose weight. you won't be able to take them forever and when you stop taking them and haven't learned anything about proper nutrition the weight will come right back on. good luck with everything.
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    once when talking to my doctor about slow weight loss (before MFP) but trying to eat healthier food, get ore exercise, etc. He asked me if I never lost weight and just got healthy - wouldn't that still be worth it. I had to examine why I was loosing weight. In the end, when I decided health was the reason I wanted to eat better and after finding MFP to help I finally started to loose weight. I decided to be happy with myself at all stages and I have a bit of weight to loose so it's not like it was just 5lbs. Hope you are able to find the best way for yourself.