2»

Replies

• kristins416
    Options
    Thanks!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You're weighing yourself once a week, right? Even if you're losing weight, your daily weight fluctuates so much that you may just have been unlucky. Maybe last Monday you had less water weight than average, and today you had more.

Here's a suggestion for getting a better sense of how things are going: weigh yourself every day at the same time, and calculate an exponentially smoothed weighted average of your measurements. (You don't have to do it yourself, there are websites that will do it.)

As long as your daily weights are mostly below the average, you are losing weight, even if your weight one morning is 3 lbs. heavier than the previous day. Your daily fluctuations are almost all water weight; the average lets you identify the long-term trend behind it.

The chapter on "Signal and Noise" in John Walker's free online book "The Hacker's Diet" explains the math (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). Walker's website lets you set up an account to track weight and calculate the average. Beeminder (www.beeminder.com) also lets you do that; the average is the "skinny purple line" in a Beeminder weight loss graph (you can see mine at https://www.beeminder.com/brianogilvie/goals/weigh). My biggest daily gain was a whopping 2.6 lbs.! But it was gone in a couple of days.

Some people find that daily weighing is too psychologically distressing or triggers obsession, but for the rest of us, it can be useful, even though it flies in the face of what most weight loss books recommend. It also can help when you reach your goal and need to maintain: if most of your daily weights are above the average, then you're slowly putting on weight and you can nip the gain in the bud, before you've regained a substantial amount.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Okay don't focus 100% of your weight. Judge also on your clothes are fitting and stuff like that because weight it really such an up and down then but overall you will be down if you keep working hard I promise :)