stronglifts 5x5

Options
I've heard so many great things about this program so i started it about 2 weeks ago. I realized today that I hate it. Its completely boring and I feel like my workouts aren't as stimulating as they were when i was doing a 3 day split for 6 days a week. I just don't understand how it's beneficial to stop at 5 reps when I know I can do more. I slow down so my muscles are engaged longer but it's still boring. Im getting back into fitness after 2 years of slacking bad so I feel like I'm new to all of this again..I just want experienced opinions on whether I should stick with it and maybe have more long-term benefits once the weights increase our go back to challenging myself more every time I work out and increase weight at my own pace?

Replies

• coachjschroth
    coachjschroth Posts: 25 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would suggest then, that you find your true 1 rep max or a possible 3 rep or 5 rep max for all of the main lifts. Then calculate your working sets based in those numbers.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Details! What are the weights you are lifting? Deadlift? Squat? I agree with coachj above that you need to be at a max after 5 as a set.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you've never done the lifts before, the early weeks of Stronglifts are all about practicing good form with light weights. You add weight every workout, so it won't take too long before the weights get challenging.

If you've lifted before and you know your form is good, it's not a bad idea to do your last set to failure. But if you're a newbie to the lifts, these first few weeks are building familiarity at low weights, and getting your body accustomed to the movements, learning what a good lift "feels" like, etc. It's easy to learn bad habits lifting to near failure on Day 1, because you invariably end up practicing bad form.

Newbies to free weights also often have strength imbalances. Just because your quads are strong enough doesn't mean your stabilizers are. Ramping up relatively slowly lets those imbalances work themselves out.

But if you're confident in your form, go ahead and do that last set to failure. Note that failure means form breakdown, not strength breakdown. So if your knees cave in on your squat, stop, even if you were able to complete the rep.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you can do more than 5, then you're doing it wrong.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    so I might just be starting out too light? ok so here's approximately what I would normally do for the same lifts (please don't judge me, I'm very out of shape!) squat: 115lbs x12, bench: 85lbs x7, haven't overhead pressed or rowed in years, never tried to deadlift. and on sl here's what I'm on now...squat:65, bench: 60, ohp: 30, row: 55, deadlift: 60lbs. its mind-numbing. I've been working out after my scheduled lifts and doing abs on my on and off days but it's not working
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    so I might just be starting out too light? ok so here's approximately what I would normally do for the same lifts (please don't judge me, I'm very out of shape!) squat: 115lbs x12, bench: 85lbs x7, haven't overhead pressed or rowed in years, never tried to deadlift. and on sl here's what I'm on now...squat:65, bench: 60, ohp: 30, row: 55, deadlift: 60lbs. its mind-numbing. I've been working out after my scheduled lifts and doing abs on my on and off days but it's not working

Yes. You are supposed to be able to do 5 but no more. It will take a few times to get the right amount weight down, but you should be able to squeeze out 4 and on 5 you should be at the point of exhaustion. It is supposed to be lifting MUCH heavier than if you were doing 8-12 reps.

The whole point of it is to increase strength, so you need to be REALLY pushing it.

Of course i don't see anything wrong with also adding in some isolation exercises that you enjoy like abs.
  • boogiewookie
    Options
    I didn't see the last 2 replies before I wrote that. I'm feeling more comfortable on my form now, it's probably good I started out light becase my form on every single lift needed work lol. I think ill stick with it and add some weights tomorrow. I just thought it was stupid to stop at 5 if I can do more but it makes sense I was going way too light!
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to be at failure on the last rep. Imo this is our recent cultural programming to expect the "burn" and to feel something is missing otherwise. I know I struggle with this too.

You can continue exactly as you are and continue to gain strength. In fact you may not gain any more strength any faster by increasing your weight. We need to disassociate pain and apparent effort from the reality of the benefits of exercise.

But to more directly answer your dilema. First, within the 5x5 framework you can adjust the permit era to suit your needs. You can add weight above the basic recomendation or if needed reduce it so don't feel the need to strictly adhere to the recomended weights as you advance. Second, there may be a better program for you if you feel you are somewhat advanced, or if your goals will not be served by a basic 5x5. Just keep the basics in mind whatever you do, low reps = strength higher reps = hypertrophy very high reps = cardio.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    One of the points of the program as one of the other posters mentioned, is it is supposed to be light the first couple of weeks to dial in form. The weight will increase fast enough after a few weeks to start to become challenging. It's these first few weeks that you are "programming" your body on the correct motor pattern to the particular movement of the exercise in question. You cannot do this correctly if the weight is too challenging that form breaks down since you have not practiced the movement enough. Let the program work and follow it exactly as written. It has protocols for progression, failures, de-loads, etc... as you move along. Trust me, it will get heavy enough fairly quickly to where you probably will need to invest in micro-plates to do smaller increases (2.5lbs and 5lbs jumps instead of 5lbs and 10lbs jumps) if you're a woman (apologize as I did not look at profile and making an assumption).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    As many others have stated this initial weeks are about form. Have someone experienced check your form.

I can attest to this after years of lifting without concentrating on form (and multiple injuries). Since I had a pro review and adjust my form I am now lifting well past my previous maximum with no injuries thank in large to the Stronglifts program.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3 of SL and often feel like the weight is too light but I recently posted some videos and realized that my form still needs a lot of work. I'm glad there are these light weeks to really nail down my form before the weight gets heavy.
  • boogiewookie
    Options
    I can see why we're supposed to start light. my form was off for every lift lol. luckily my husband was a personal trainer so he has helped me work on it. I never lift without him, if he's working I do body weight exercises that still kick my a**. I was too impatient for the 5x5 but I will definitely start it again if I stall out.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you have to give StrongLifts time, if you are going to do it "by the book".

I skipped about the first 6 weeks of the program. I'd lifted many years ago, and knew correct form for most of the lifts. I just started with a weight I was comfortable with, but not too heavy so I wouldn't get doms in that first week.

Once you're lifting 5x5 at your max weight - where that last rep on that last set is probably a fail, or close to it - then it should be a lot less boring. That's when the real work begins as you try and progress and set PR's.

And you should feel it in all the right places.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty stupid question, but I'm starting my first day doing Stronglifts and I just need to ask it...

When it says I'm supposed to start with squatting 45 pounds, is that in addition to the weight of the bar?
    As in, I load the squat bar up with 45 pounds and squat away?
    Or do I have to figure out how much the bar weighs, then add on until I reach 45?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty stupid question, but I'm starting my first day doing Stronglifts and I just need to ask it...

When it says I'm supposed to start with squatting 45 pounds, is that in addition to the weight of the bar?
    As in, I load the squat bar up with 45 pounds and squat away?
    Or do I have to figure out how much the bar weighs, then add on until I reach 45?

Olympic bar is 20kg, aka 44lb
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    So, if I'm starting off with 45 pounds, as per the plan.. I don't put 45 pounds on the bar? (Are you saying the bar counts in the weight it says to lift?)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    They are correct. Start with the bar, add 5 lbs per workout until you can't. The bar is 45lbs, if you add plates you add the weight of the plates to the weight of the bar for a total weight.