Anyone else shocked?

I'm about to hit a month long streak of logging, and I've truly benefited so much from being active in the community here. I've learned so much from all of you and owe a lot of my success to the insight and support!

A few times this past week as I've been logging in my food, I've reflected on past eating habits and I continue to be shocked by how much I was eating and how unaware I was of it. I always used to say that I really didn't eat that bad, which is true, I don't, but I was eating so much of it that it's a no brainer why I was packing on the weight the past 4 years.

Once you decided to make the lifestyle change, were you as impacted by your past habits as I was?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    I'm about to hit a month long streak of logging, and I've truly benefited so much from being active in the community here. I've learned so much from all of you and owe a lot of my success to the insight and support!

A few times this past week as I've been logging in my food, I've reflected on past eating habits and I continue to be shocked by how much I was eating and how unaware I was of it. I always used to say that I really didn't eat that bad, which is true, I don't, but I was eating so much of it that it's a no brainer why I was packing on the weight the past 4 years.

Once you decided to make the lifestyle change, were you as impacted by your past habits as I was?

Soft drink was what shocked me - I could easily down most of my calorie alotment in liquids and not even think twice.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Yes !! I was shocked to see how much i was truly consuming. I used to think i was having one serving of cereal. When i came here and started weighing it out, it was actually almost five servings! ! I had no idea !! Mfp has also taught me many valuable lessons about portion control and moderation.
  • Alatariel75
    edited July 2015
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Yes !! I was shocked to see how much i was truly consuming. I used to think i was having one serving of cereal. When i came here and started weighing it out, it was actually almost five servings! ! I had no idea !! Mfp has also taught me many valuable lessons about portion control and moderation.

Oh lawd, pasta. After doing the old Fat N Fibre plan on WW, I actually though that pasta, being low fat, was a GREAT choice!! Pasta with a lean meat bolognaise... Holy hell, hello near 1000 calories in a big bowl. I'm a volume eater and could happily polish off a giant pile of pasta.

Also WW used to peddle sushi as being a great choice! I'd have 3-4 rolls for lunch and feel like I did good - hello 800 calorie lunch!
  • zoeysasha37

Oh lawd, pasta. After doing the old Fat N Fibre plan on WW, I actually though that pasta, being low fat, was a GREAT choice!! Pasta with a lean meat bolognaise... Holy hell, hello near 1000 calories in a big bowl. I'm a volume eater and could happily polish off a giant pile of pasta.

Also WW used to peddle sushi as being a great choice! I'd have 3-4 rolls for lunch and feel like I did good - hello 800 calorie lunch![/quote

Yes its completely an eye opener to see how many calories are in the foods we ate daily! Before mfp, i thought that a small bag of chips was a serving. Well after learning how to read labels and weighing, it was three ! I am now so much more aware of portions !
  • zoeysasha37
    Have no idea why that quote got all messed up ^^ @Alatariel75 im on my cell lol
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member

Also WW used to peddle sushi as being a great choice! I'd have 3-4 rolls for lunch and feel like I did good - hello 800 calorie lunch!

Mine was two things - butter and cheese. Slather butter on my toast, have a small bowl of pasta, and smother it in a rich sauce (cooked with butter) and shredded cheese. Now when I weigh out my butter for toast and other cooking, it scares me how much I used to use. I could eat a wheel of brie or large wedge of blue cheese without batting an eyelid. Now I cry a little inside when I have to weigh out my danish blue and see that my afternoon snack has more calories than my lunch.
  • missmatalini
    missmatalini Posts: 30 Member
    I NEVER read labels before...since I've been weighing everything now, I get excited to weigh something new and see how off the serving suggestions are.

Butter was my thing....I loveeeeee fresh bread and butter. I really was ignorant cause I had no idea butter was filled with so many calories. It's embarrassing how little thought I put into what I was putting into my mouth.
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Very shocked. I knew I was eating too much but was stunned at exactly how too much. Amazed I didn't put on more weight than I did.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    What shocked me was the amount of garbage I was eating. While losing weight I literally ate more calories than I did before. CALORIES ARE NOT THE ENEMY, NON-FOOD GARBAGE IS!

You shouldn't eat garbage...
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    What shocked me was the amount of garbage I was eating. While losing weight I literally ate more calories than I did before. CALORIES ARE NOT THE ENEMY, NON-FOOD GARBAGE IS!

I agree.

Even a cat is better than garbage!

latest?cb=20110128060130
  • mangrothian

Yeah, the garbage bag gets stuck in your teeth. No one needs that. But the fibre from the recycling is the best!
  • DigitalAmelia
    DigitalAmelia Posts: 57 Member
    I NEVER read labels before...since I've been weighing everything now, I get excited to weigh something new and see how off the serving suggestions are.

Butter was my thing....I loveeeeee fresh bread and butter. I really was ignorant cause I had no idea butter was filled with so many calories. It's embarrassing how little thought I put into what I was putting into my mouth.

Butter is/was my thing too, but I knew how "expensive' those calories were. And yet.... I ate it anyway.
  • DigitalAmelia
    DigitalAmelia Posts: 57 Member

Butter is/was my thing too, but I knew how "expensive' those calories were. And yet.... I ate it anyway.
    Butter is extremely healthy and you should eat more of it. Many people suffer because they are afraid of calories in really healthy food. If you are concerned about what you put in your mouth, eliminate refined white sugar, flour, rice and all refined vegetable oils.

Oh, but there has to be an end to eating the butter! Someone hide the butter dish from me please. I'm not good about moderation when butter is involved, particularly Kerrygold. Or when I can get fresh cream from the farmer's market I make my own butter. Yum.
  • Alatariel75
    edited July 2015

Butter is extremely healthy and you should eat more of it. Many people suffer because they are afraid of calories in really healthy food. If you are concerned about what you put in your mouth, eliminate refined white sugar, flour, rice and all refined vegetable oils.

3qj98n.jpg
  • mangrothian
    edited July 2015

Butter is extremely healthy and you should eat more of it. Many people suffer because they are afraid of calories in really healthy food. If you are concerned about what you put in your mouth, eliminate refined white sugar, flour, rice and all refined vegetable oils. Calories are not the enemy is what I found out.

Please don't hijack this post by replying with spouts of "eliminate all this, eat all of this, and you can eat all the calories you want" nonsense. OP has asked a specific (and IMO, interesting) question, and you are not answering it.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    I was more shocked by my FitBit. :( I move so little!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member

I agree, but many people differ in their definition of garbage, ie: SKITTLES, WHITE SUGAR, WHITE FLOUR, WHITE RICE, REFINED SOYBEAN, CORN, SAFFLOWER, CANOLA OILS.
    Funny, all these things are sold, purchased and used in foods all over Asia, South America, etc. Their consumption of "garbage" hasn't lead to the same obesity levels.
    Heck you can even find all of these in the prison systems. Eaten everyday 3 times a day. Obesity isn't an issue in prison due to the fact that with the exception of commissary (which is mostly junk food anyway), inmates eat portioned out amounts of food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Noooo this thread was going so well.

Snacking. The amount of snacks I would consume many years ago -- Rice Krispy treats. Chocolate donuts. What was I thinking??
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    I switched over from WW last year and was amazed at how unbalanced my meals were. I was on the Pro Points plan which essentially allowed free reign on a wide variety of vegetables and I avoided fat as much as possible. So I'd load up on veggies thinking they didn't have an impact on my waistline. When I started logging the quantities I was actually eating it was quite an eye-opener.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    so many things... olive oil (I still eat it though), nuts - I'd think "ooh I'm being healthy - I'm going to eat trail mix" and eat like - a bag of the stuff - hello 800 calories and I wasn't even full!!

I still eat butter/olive oil (I don't even log the olive oil because I use it in every single thing I cook) but I call "good oils" and eat it anyway.

Crisps were an eye opener too - one serving of crisps is 18 pieces - who the hell can eat only 18 crisps?????!!!!