Following calories - no weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• ST7927
    ST7927 Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have been weighing my food with my food scale so hopefully that will work things out.

What do you mean you've been losing 1/2lb for 18 months but your scale sometimes shows weight gain?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    ST7927 wrote: »
    I have been weighing my food with my food scale so hopefully that will work things out.

What do you mean you've been losing 1/2lb for 18 months but your scale sometimes shows weight gain?

Let's say his water weight is low on week 1, and goes up by 1lb every week for 5 weeks and then drops 5lb on week 6, and at the same time his actual body mass drops by 0.5lb/week.

End week 1: scale shows up 0.5lb from start weight
    End week 2: scale shows up 1lb ...
    End week 3: scale shows up 1.5lb ...
    End week 4: scale shows up 2lb ...
    End week 5: scale shows up 2.5lb ...
    End week 6: scale shows down 3lb from start weight

The entire time he was loosing fat (and possibly other body mass). He didn't lose 5.5lb of fat in 1 week. It was 0.5lb/week for 6 weeks, and a large change in water weight.

• akwest21
    akwest21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you're new to lifting weights you will get stronger and possibly build muscle, in exercise physiology we call this the novice effect. You're giving your muscles a stimulus and they have to adapt to it whether you're in a deficit or not. If you are eating adequate protein your body will use it to repair muscle tissue and by repairing it, which it has to do, you will build muscle. If you're not interested in cutting carbs completely you could try only eating them after workouts to restore muscle glycogen. This will keep you using stored fat for energy throughout the day but allow you some leeway with macros and keep you fueled for your next workout.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    First step would be get confident in the calories your eating. You need to be sure the numbers are 90%+ accurate.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Your numbers won't be remotely accurate if you're eating at friends' houses or eating meals you didn't cook yourself. Counting calories means you count all the calories you eat. A small bowl of a random cooked meal could be 200 cals or 700 cals. It's not something you can really guess.
  • StatJC84
    StatJC84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    With no profile pic, I'm going to assume you're a woman... If so, your weight may vary a lot over a month due to periods. A lot of women will retain water at some point in their cycle, and its really not worth counting a weight gain as a failure until you see the pattern over a few months.