Does it matter that I'm a slow runner?

2»

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    No, you should do what you're comfortable with, and do what keeps you going.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    When I run on an every day basis (versus during a race) I maintain about a 12 min pace per mile. When I race, I average about 10:34 pace per mile.

I don't think it makes much of a difference for weight loss - but it is a good idea to incorporate HIIT into your runs along with steady state cardio. They help you build speed and endurance. (1 minutes almost as fast as you can, 2 minutes (or more) of recovery, then repeat 4 more times - 15 minutes). If you add that at the end of your runs you will be impressed with how your pace increases without even really trying that hard.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    This will sound nutty, I know. But I'm going to say it anyway.

If you're happy running 11 minute miles, then for pete's sake, keep running 11 minute miles.

If other people make you feel bad about being happy running 11 minute miles, then for pete's sake, tell them to **** off. Then go run more 11 minute miles.

If you're NOT happy running 11 minute miles and want to be faster, then there are lots of ways to improve your speed, fitness, athleticism, etc etc. Joining a local runner's club is a great way to figure that out.

I personally see nothing wrong with being happy with 11 minute miles. I guess, in my mind, happiness is everything. (I have a motto - "If it's not fun, I'm not doing it.") Find your happiness and soak it up like a sponge soaks up water. And if that's 11 minute miles, then boom. You're there.
  • kfitz85
    kfitz85 Posts: 19 Member
    Though I wasn't entirely clear, I didn't mean literally running 2 miles nonstop at a 5 minute mile pace. I meant do intervals at that pace for a total of 2 miles with some walking and slow jogging in between. Also, I stand by my statement that six days is probably overdoing it.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Though I wasn't entirely clear, I didn't mean literally running 2 miles nonstop at a 5 minute mile pace. I meant do intervals at that pace for a total of 2 miles with some walking and slow jogging in between. Also, I stand by my statement that six days is probably overdoing it.
    It sounded like you were suggesting that a different pace could make 8 miles (4 days x 2 miles) burn as many calories as 30 (6 days x 5 miles), but then I am assuming that by "better workout" you meant more calories burned.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    "Slow" is relative. If you're like me and just started running 6 months ago starting from nothing, then 11 minute miles sound pretty damn fast.

It sounds like you want to run with a buddy and I think you should, especially if they're faster than you. It's one of the best ways to challenge and improve yourself.

Always play up, its how you get better.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    It doesn't matter so long as you are happy doing it.

However if you are running to lose weight, you will probably want to mix in some intervals or hill work, speed work...not necessarily to get faster (however you probably will) but to help you lose weight. Your body gets pretty efficient at running, and once it does you lose calories slower and slower. You need to change up your routine, just like lifting weights, if you want to continue to lose weight you have to up your reps or your weight.

But running 11 minute miles is a good thing, and you should be happy and proud of that!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    If it makes you feel better, you can come run circles around me while I go on my daily walk :)

This, and I set my treadmill to 6 (12 minute miles) and am pretty proud that I can do that for 36 minutes, of course not starting to run until I was 54 years old probably has something to do with it.

Just thought I'd mention that if you are setting your treadmill to 6 mph, you may be faster than you think. That is a 10 min mile :wink:
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    I'm a runner and I'm not super fast.... my fastest mileage averages around 9:22 per mile. I much prefer to run longer distances and enjoy my surroundings and the feeling that I get by running. Typically I tend to stick around 9:45 and 10:00 per mile.

As for if you should increase your pace, I tend to think of it like this:

If 11:00 is your comfort pace and you're not changing your distance or speed you won't see much change once your body has been doing it for a while. If your goal is to maintain then that's fine. But if you're looking to improve your cardiovascular fitness or calorie burn then you'll need to switch it up.

If 11:00 is your pace where you're pushing yourself then don't worry about trying to go faster until that becomes something that's easier for you.

Speed isn't the only thing that you can change to change the intensity and see results. You can add incline or distance to switch it up and not have to worry about changing your speed.

Also, thanks for clarifying lporter229! I was going to say... perhaps my treadmill is broken?? haha
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    I've been running/jogging about 5 miles a day, 6x a week, and I feel proud of myself. But I'm averaging about an 11 minute mile. I don't want to run with a buddy because I know I will be out of my league. My runner friends are all giving me tips on how to get faster. But part of me is just ok with running at this pace. Do you think it really makes a difference if I'm running slowly, or should I push myself to be faster?

Yes, the your pace makes a significant difference in the results.

This link will shed some light on how a training plan can be created and it also discusses the impact on your body (pardon the pun) of running at different, specific paces:

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/tips

If you take the time to read through the pages at that link, it will help you understand how a training plan can be created for a runner.

(No connection to McMillan other than my being a "happy (running camp) camper". :-)

OTOH, if you're running for the sheer pleasure of it and if you're not experiencing injury, then why not just keep doing what you're doing?
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Wow, that McMillan running site is hard core! This was my favorite part on that page:
    NOW THE FUN STARTS!
    While you recover with an easy jog, allowing the fog that is total exhaustion to clear, we now have a clear picture of your physiological status across several speeds.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    If you're happy with your current pace, that's great. What you really need to decide is if you'd like to take it up a notch. If you do, you're body will burn more calories (your body will burn fewer calories as you get comfortable with one intensity), and your speed will improve.

I'd recommend googling interval training. It will shock your system in a good way, and your speed will improve.