How did I get this way?

Options
I think I may have the answer.

I always ate pretty much whatever I wanted, but in moderation. I stayed active (marginally). Things didn't bother me, I liked my job, I enjoyed doing things, etc.

I would say in the past eight months is when I saw the weight gain. Did I change what I ate? No, I just ate more of it (out of stress and boredom). I would sit at my desk at work and keep eating and eating because I was mad at the latest email to come through. I gave up going to the gym because when I got home from work, I just wanted to sit on the couch. I had no energy. I drank beer out of boredom and stress as well.

I am going to change all that. First of all, my job is not going to cause me an ounce of stress anymore. I won't let it. Secondly, my lunches will be eaten away from my desk. Thirdly, I will be active and won't use my stressful day as an excuse.

The only thing is, I don't want to give up the beer. I enjoy one or two a day. I honestly don't think that is something that will derail my weight loss plans if I stick with everything else.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up beer. I didn't and even though I may need to eat less food when I want my beer, you learn it's a balancing act.

I know how you feel, I've been there and it's a constant struggle to not fall back into that pattern. But once you wrap your mind around your goals, it's pretty easy to keep going. Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up anything, as you can make it fit into your allotment.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Your workout will really help with alleviating your stress levels!
  • jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've been tracking my food now (along with exercise) and saw that I do have room for things I enjoy. I'm more mindful of what I'm putting into my body.
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    jumpybeans wrote: »
    The only thing is, I don't want to give up the beer. I enjoy one or two a day.

This is me to a T! I am a craft beer geek and love coming home to enjoy a beer after work. I was rapidly putting on pounds so I am down to drinking just on weekends now. I think moderation is key, like you said, but I also think it can be a major hurdle of extra calories too.

Good luck making the adjustments you need. Work can definitely get to you if you let it.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Good for you for posting this. Ownership and accountability are key :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i go in stages with beer, but its pretty common for me to have one a day.

just account for it.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome!

I didn't give up beer and arrived safely at my goal weight. I refused to give it up. I cut back during the week but weekends? Ha! :D