HELP...

Options

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    So instead of buying new shorts, you're buying raspberry ketones, a waist trainer, and netting 700-900 calories per day?

*Sits you down and looks you in the eyes and says in a very supportive way*

STOP what you're doing to your body. Be smart. Don't look for a quick fix. I'm sorry your shorts don't fit, but what you're doing can HARM YOU for the rest of your life, both mentally and physically. I urge you to stop.

Beyond that, it's not going to work. Not even pre-Fashion-Week supermodels who are literally fasting for days prior are accomplishing that kind of loss. And raspberry ketones et al. are just woo-woo and aren't even effective, so it's a waste of time and money on top of that.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,941 Member
    Options
    Read the stickies.

Until you understand what you're doing, set your weight loss rate target to no higher than 0.5 pounds per 25 pounds you are above the bottom of your healthy BMI range.

MFP calculations assume that you will eat back the true net exercise calories that exceed your activity level. You do this in order to stay at your targeted rate of weight loss.

Because true net exercise calories are hard to calculate sometime the suggestion is given to eat back 50 percent of your execise calories and reevaluate based on your actual weight loss results.

Weight loss and how you go about achieving it has to do with your health.

Buying a new set of shorts has to do with your wallet.

Oh, bother, tilting at windmills again.

Just take some potions, starve yourself till you leave, and then binge on alcohol and food during your vacation.

I know you're gona do it anyway.

Now you can say you're just following my written plan!
  • carlabillie1
    carlabillie1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wasn't looking at losing a stone in a week that's beyond impossible! I was happy to aim for 2 pounds a week meaning I would be 4 pounds lighter before holiday im jetting off on the 14th iv never been a big eater more of a pick eater through being bored! I used to weight 7.5 before I had my son 4 years ago! So where am I going wrong? I always thought you had to burn more calories than your taking in to lose weight?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    For long-term health for a lifetime, I highly recommend netting at least your BMR. And since we're on the MFP forums, I would never recommend anyone net under 1200 calories per day.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I always thought you had to burn more calories than your taking in to lose weight?

You're correct.

When you lose weight you lose water, muscle, and fat.

How you go about losing weight influences what amount of what you lose is fat.

To fully supplement the base suggestions I gave you in a post above, also make sure you eat at least 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight. And that you try to eat .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight (this is a proxy for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass). Engaging in a progressive lifting program would also not be a bad idea though I see that you're already doing bodyweight exercises.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I wasn't looking at losing a stone in a week that's beyond impossible! I was happy to aim for 2 pounds a week meaning I would be 4 pounds lighter before holiday im jetting off on the 14th iv never been a big eater more of a pick eater through being bored! I used to weight 7.5 before I had my son 4 years ago! So where am I going wrong? I always thought you had to burn more calories than your taking in to lose weight?

This is exactly how it works. You have been doing it less than 2 weeks. Are you absolutely, 100% confident in your calorie calculations? Do you weigh/measure every item you put in your mouth? And if you know calorie dificit is how you lose weight, why are you spending your money on miracle products?
  • carlabillie1
    Options
    Yeh most my calorie intake is correct as I use the scanner for things like a tin of tuna Eggs etc.. But that's what I'm doing I'm taking in 1200 calories and burning 200-400 on my bike! So why is everyone having a go saying I will make my self I'll?
  • WBB55
    Options
    If you use MFP as designed and log that 200-400 calories of exercise, your "net" calories is less than 1200. You might not get "ill" netting 700-900 calories per day, but it is not what the app or website recommends.

Used as designed, you would "eat back" at least a portion of those exercise calories. You don't have to. No one here is going to come forcefeed you. We're just giving you advice based on the info you've given us.

And the info you've given us, were you my sister, would cause me some concern. Fad diets. Raspberry ketones. Waist cinchers. Quick, temporary results (if any results at all)... that's just not sustainable over a lifetime for a healthy mind, body and spirit (and wallet).
  • carlabillie1
    Options
    So I need to net 1200 calories a day and eat the amount of calories iv burned off on my bike?
  • WBB55
    Options
    So I need to net 1200 calories a day and eat the amount of calories iv burned off on my bike?

That's how MFP works. You don't "have" to do it. But it's better for you. Most people here would recommend "eating back" about half of what you burn. Or maybe just eating 1350 or so every day if you'd rather not have to calculate your exercise burn.

• carlabillie1
    Options
    Ok thanks for your help! New plan eat 1200 worth of calories and half of what I have burned off on bike! Ditch the waste trainer and raspberry ketones! Oh and buy some new shorts! ☺️
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for your help! New plan eat 1200 worth of calories and half of what I have burned off on bike! Ditch the waste trainer and raspberry ketones! Oh and buy some new shorts! ☺️

Yay, advice was taken!!! Dont forget having fun on vacation!
  • WBB55
    Options
    And expect to lose 0.5 lbs a week or less. Eventually those shorts will fit again (just probably not in two weeks).

Good job, by the way.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Caution: your package scanner is not nearly as accurate as weighting food in grams and double checking database entries.

If you're estimating based on cups and scanning then I would not exceed half my exercise calories as an eat back until I had a good six to eight weeks of data to reevaluate with.
  • carlabillie1
    Options
    Might have to give them shorts a miss this summer and aim to get into them next year!! English sunshine doesn't last long!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Can i ask what size you are @carlabillie1 - as it doesn't seem to me like you are "overweight".
    BMI charts aren't really that good an indicator.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Can i ask what size you are @carlabillie1 - as it doesn't seem to me like you are "overweight".
    BMI charts aren't really that good an indicator.

Yeah, that chart says I'm overweight. There are some faults to it.

You overweight?
    That's just ridiculous. Lol
    I don't even bother with BMI anymore.....i'm all about Body Fat percentage.
  • carlabillie1
    Options
    I'm usually an 8-10 but the shorts I have from primark which don't fit are a 12 there Jean material! I will post a picture of when I first started my weight loss journey and the progress 2 days into it with a loss of 2 pounds