Windows 8--opinions.

Options

Replies

• ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy. Maybe its because I use it with dual monitors. I have the usual interface on the left monitor and the Start screen on the right monitor. I love the live tiles for my RSS feeds, news, sports, and social media. I, too, had to look up certain things because I couldn't find them. And occasionally I'll fumble on trying to open up an app that I use often, but there's always a solution. I can either pin the app to the Start screen or add a shortcut to the other screen.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Windows OS always has the same pattern... Good, suck, good, suck, ECT

Just wait until Windows 9 lol

In my opinion Windows 7 was pretty much perfection... Why change perfection SO quick?!?!?

^^This!

I hate Windows 8 and loved Windows 7. I read somewhere that Microsoft is doing some sort of fix to make Windows 8 more user friendly.
  • Ender126
    Ender126 Posts: 44
    Options
    Windows OS always has the same pattern... Good, suck, good, suck, ECT

Just wait until Windows 9 lol

In my opinion Windows 7 was pretty much perfection... Why change perfection SO quick?!?!?

^^This!

I hate Windows 8 and loved Windows 7. I read somewhere that Microsoft is doing some sort of fix to make Windows 8 more user friendly.

They will be releasing Windows 8.1 "Blue" as it's been called since it's development shortly. They say it's more user friendly but I'm not a Windows 8 user so I can't really make an informed statement.

Windows 8.1 (Blue) will be free too, so at least you're not getting charged twice.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    W8 is just W7 with a touch screen friendly interface. Unless you have a touch screen then W8 has nothing for you.
    No other performance enhancements can be found anywhere within the OS update.
    If you have a W7 machine DO NOT UPGRADE to W8.
    W8 only runs properly on machines specifically built for it.
    If you put it on a W7 machine, within a very short time it will lock you out of your hard drive. The only way to get use of the machine again it is run a factory system restore to W7. Believe me, that sucks.

My preference? Unless you absolutely have to have Windows, buy a Linux built machine from Zareason,com
  • Ender126
    Ender126 Posts: 44
    Options
    W8 is just W7 with a touch screen friendly interface. Unless you have a touch screen then W8 has nothing for you.
    No other performance enhancements can be found anywhere within the OS update.
    If you have a W7 machine DO NOT UPGRADE to W8.
    W8 only runs properly on machines specifically built for it.
    If you put it on a W7 machine, within a very short time it will lock you out of your hard drive. The only way to get use of the machine again it is run a factory system restore to W7. Believe me, that sucks.

My preference? Unless you absolutely have to have Windows, buy a Linux built machine from Zareason,com

I was wondering when one of those darned "LINUX/UNIX" guys were going to show up... lol
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and used it for a few months. I ended up downgrading back to Windows 7 because it kept crashing and giving me the "new" blue screen of death.

I also have a desktop running on Kubuntu and much more satisfied with it especially in comparison with Windows 8.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I just got a new laptop, which I love, but I am still not sure how I feel about Windows 8. I feel like it isn't very user friendly and seems more like something better suited for a phone or tablet than a PC. I couldn't even figure out how the hell to use the new paint! I had to Google it! :laugh: I am still trying to get used to it. I will say the calendar is really handy though.

I'm just curious, because it seems like people only like every other Windows OS, and could do without the ones in between! Anyone else think that it's not user friendly? Any other opinions?

I've used XP, Vista, and Windows 7 - haven't seen 8 or been interested in it, frankly. I keep copies of XP around and install it on all of my computers... of course, Linux is also a good option (Ubuntu or Mint are both pretty user friendly).

But yeah - Windows died when Vista was released.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    It is an awful experience on a non-touch based platform. It would be a great OS on a tablet or phone, but it's functionally useless on a desktop or laptop without touch inputs. Even then, I don't know... I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the time being.
    ^ This!

I don't have it myself, but my boyfriend just bought a new laptop a few months ago that came with it, and we've both been messing around with it, and the first thing I said was "Why on earth did they try to put a touch-screen tablet-style OS on a PC???" My boyfriend HATES it. He works in IT so he can usually adapt to changes in computers, but he still rarely uses his laptop, and just uses the desktop in his room with Windows 7. He said he thinks he's just going to "downgrade" his laptop to 7 because he hates 8 so much.

ETA: Go Hawks!!!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It is an awful experience on a non-touch based platform. It would be a great OS on a tablet or phone, but it's functionally useless on a desktop or laptop without touch inputs. Even then, I don't know... I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the time being.

HAWKS!
  • Monica_SanDiego
    Monica_SanDiego Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. I got a new lap top for Christmas and it's just such a pain to use. I hate the tiles and took me forever to figure out how to find the desk top.

Monica.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    We just got a new computer (desk top) at work with Windows 8 and I honestly don't see where it's that much different from the XP version I was using before. What's the big deal? Am I missing something?

Neve mind, My boss just informed me that we are actually using Window 7. I guess that explains a lot.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    It feels like a hybrid touch tablet OS that just doesn't have focus, with a mix of apps and desktop applications. It works as tablet or desktop interface, but not well, to try and grab the convertible/hybrid market. It would have been better if they either split it into different editions or had different modes that it switched between automatically depending on how the computer was being used at the time; desktop mode like Windows 7 when docked, and the tile/app mode interface when undocked and used as a tablet.

I like Windows 7 a lot better and plan on sticking to it. I could get used to 8, and some things like the tiles are nice, but that tile screen shouldn't have replaced the start menu. I believe you can still backdate any license of Windows 8 to Windows 7.
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Hideously garish and ugly interface to stare at all day long ... luckily it appears my workplace has decided to skip Windows 8 until whatever the next iteration is. We skipped over Vista, luckily too. Windows 7 is stable and works well.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have both a Surface tablet and a laptop running Windows 8.

The laptop is intolerable. Nobody can use it for long without threatening to chuck it out the Window.

The Surface is a totally different story. Windows 8 really shines on touchscreens. I just have no freaking clue why they are releasing it on desktop platforms.
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So, I run Windows 7 and Ubuntu (Linux) dual boot desktop and I have a MacBook Pro. Windows 8 is just terrible. Tried it for months (as a triple boot...I didn't want to replace Windows 7 until I knew it would be worth it) and absolutely hated it. I agree that it would be great on a mobile device (tablet, phone, etc.) but it does not belong on a laptop and sure as hell not on a desktop. It's shouldn't even be classified as a PC operating system.

I'm looking for a laptop for my sister (if it were me, I'd get a new MacBook and just keep Windows on my desktop) and am having issues finding non Windows 8 ones. I am either going to make whoever I buy it from give me Windows 7 to install or have them install it. When I got my mom her laptop it was the Vista era, and they put XP on it for me. No way I was using Vista or making my mom use it. Not everyone will do this probably, but there are quite a few places that will.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The reviews for Windows 8 have been really bad, particularly for systems that don't have a touch screen. If you really hate it you can see about having Windows 7 or Linux installed instead.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i prefer apple products. My work is on an old *kitten* version of windows.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    MS is doing an update for Windows 8 that will address a few issues for running on desktops. I have windows 7 and won't upgrade to 8 in the near future. I did have Vista and had no problem with that at all though not many people liked it. (my Mum has my laptop with Vista now)
  • Gdeeaz
    Gdeeaz Posts: 60
    Options
    I bought a laptop for my dad for his birthday. Every laptop had Windows 8 except for 2 and they were both sold out. When I set it up for him it was a nightmare. I hate Windows 8.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm getting used to it on my desktop, but it's definitely designed to be used with a touch screen, which is just annoying.
    It would not be that hard for them to add the start menu back and have all the useful stuff like shutdown and restart. I've had to put my own shortcut on the start page for shutdown and that's not ideal because you don't have to confirm or anything. Accidentally click it and the PC will shutdown no matter what I'm doing.

I guess I like it overall though. The start screen is useful and switching between apps is easy enough. Apps in general are pretty good too. I would still probably suggest getting or sticking to Windows 7 if you were looking to upgrade, but it's far from the worst Windows experience.