Can't get motivated for cardio

Options
I can lift till the cows come home, but I just can't get myself to like cardio. I know I need to do it though. Is walking briskly enough? I also like to ride my bike and do spin classes if I can find one that fits in my schedule.

Anyone else dread cardio as much as I do?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I avoid it like the plague.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Try to find activities that you enjoy (like the spinning classes) and do those, don't make yourself miserable by doing activities that you truly hate. You may want to add some jogging into the walking to get your heart rate up for the cardio benefits. I bought a stand for my bike that basically holds it in place and I bike throughout the winter in my house while watching Netflix because I don't want to run in the snow. Sometimes, I still do it when the rain won't let up and I don't want to go to the gym and I use the Bitgym app to "tour" an area while riding. That could be an option for you to help work it into your schedule.
  • melissaf0405
    melissaf0405 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do the treadmill while watching tv it makes the time go by
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Walking briskly, riding your bike, and doing the odd spin class are fine. Do you bike to work or school? That might do it.

The ACSM recommends that most adults engage in moderate-intensity cardiorespiratory exercise training for ≥30 min·d−1 on ≥5 d·wk−1 for a total of ≥150 min·wk−1, vigorous-intensity cardiorespiratory exercise training for ≥20 min·d−1 on ≥3 d·wk−1 (≥75 min·wk−1), or a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity exercise to achieve a total energy expenditure of ≥500-1000 MET·min·wk−1.

journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2011/07000/Quantity_and_Quality_of_Exercise_for_Developing.26.aspx
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't do it. I ran twice in about 3 months. I'm going back into a deficit though so am considering 2 30 minute sessions a week but honestly, that might not happen. I hate it very much as well.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What is it about cardio that you dont like?

You dont have to do it, bit it does give you two advantages, which are improved cardio vascular function as well as burning a reasonable amount of calories depending on how much you do.

As said find soemthing that you enjoy so it seems like less of a chore. Swimming, a sport, zumba, hiking are all alternatives. Now the good weather is here then you dont have to be confined to the gym.

Bike riding and spin classes are fine, as is walking.

I think some people hate cardio because it cna be dreadfully dull. It can also seem unrelenting and hard work. Who likes getting out of breath, gasping for air and being reminded how infit you are. Its those aspects that I find challenging becayse just like lifting you cna improve your cardio fitness, hit new times and feel great by being faster and developing greater endurance. Pushing yourself hard can be quite rewarding as you find your limits and if you are lucky enough you cna get a decent endorphin rush, which is a great feeling.

Its really not that bad, but as a last resort ist better to get it over and done with if you wnat the benefits as opposed to worrying about it. Getting started is most of the problem.