lunges for person suffering from hallux limitis

Options
I very recently started to suffer from hallux limitus (stiff big toe) in my right foot. With orthotics it is improving but is still store at times, especially when I do lunges. I love weighted lunges for building glutes and quads, but balancing weight on my toe in the leg that’s kicked back is proving to be painful. Can you suggest any modifications of this exercise that would take the pressure off my big toe?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't do lunges. Do whatever doesn't hurt instead. All variations of squats, hip thrusts, pull-throughs, whatever you have the capability to do. Even leg extensions if you want to hit the quad without putting any pressure on your toes.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have hallux limitis. If you just recently got the orthotics, it may be a good idea to lay off the lunges for the time being. Within a few months of getting my orthotics, my toe pain had gone away. Why not try giving your foot time to heal from whatever trauma it has experienced before you got the orthotics and check in about whether you can do lunges later?
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

This good. You could also simply "lunge" up a small box/cardio platform while keeping your weight on the midfoot or heel portion of the foot. A glute exercise machine can also work although I find these less effective.
  • billigrrl
    billigrrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Yes! That should work! Thanks :)
  • billigrrl
    billigrrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!