Weight gain with diet and exercise

I understand that results take time; however, I have reduced my caloric intake dramatically and going to the gym 6 days out of the weeks for 2+ weeks now and I have GAINED weight. I see positive differences in my body as well as my family but I just get so discouraged when I look at the scale.
What am I doing wrong!?

Replies

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Could it be water weight from your muscles being repaired from the workouts? Had you been exercising as regularly and vigorously before two weeks ago?
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    How dramatic was this calorie drop? How was your eating before? If you drop your calories too low, the body responds by holding on to everything it can. So if you were already eating too little and then you restrict further, that could explain things.

As demoiselle2014 said, it could be increased water retention due to tough workouts as well.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I didn't lose for about 5-6 weeks on the scales when I restarted working out after years of nothing. It was all water weight and came off eventually. Start measuring yourself and use the measuring tape as your best guide to how you're doing.
  • claypilk
    claypilk Posts: 6 Member
    I'm sure you've heard this before... muscle weighs more than fat. Do not weigh yourself daily, it is only a number that reflects the amount of work gravity does on your body. Weight does not accurately reflect health, muscle, body fat %, or how good you feel or look. Stay focused and keep working hard without worrying about the numbers on the scale!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    mmruane wrote: »
    I understand that results take time; however, I have reduced my caloric intake dramatically and going to the gym 6 days out of the weeks for 2+ weeks now and I have GAINED weight. I see positive differences in my body as well as my family but I just get so discouraged when I look at the scale.
    What am I doing wrong!?

Your post is a little contradictory. If you understand that results take time, then you know two weeks is a small amount of time. How drastic was your caloric decrease? I'm concerned that if you significantly decreased your intake, you're not actually fueling your body enough to be working out 6 days a week. How much weight gain are we talking about? I fluctuate about 4 lbs DAILY between morning and afternoon so weigh yourself at a consistent time of day.

If you truly are gaining weight and it's not just fluctuation, then you are eating more than you think and your logging is incorrect.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Open your diary if you really want some solid advice. You haven't gained significant muscle in only 2 weeks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Water and glycogen retention from starting a new workout. Not uncommon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rioricorick
    rioricorick Posts: 22 Member
    I don't find your post contradictory - I also would have thought that after two weeks you would have lost some weight - even if it's a quarter pound! I think by "results taking time" you meant substantial results.
    As long as you are eating right and exercising, you can feel confident that you a on a very good path! See what happens after 3 months or even a year of dong it right! :-)
  • mmruane
    mmruane Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you everyone. My diet prior to this was somewhere health conscious; however, I was never really keeping track of calories. I have lowered my caloric intake to a healthy level (not starving myself).

The weight gain is only about two pounds, I was just expecting to see even a quarter pound drop.

I feel and look better so I will start going by the measuring tape and only weigh myself once a week. I am new to this so I never knew muscles retained water to help with the repairing process in the beginning so that may be the cause.

Thank you so much for all your replies!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    mmruane wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. My diet prior to this was somewhere health conscious; however, I was never really keeping track of calories. I have lowered my caloric intake to a healthy level (not starving myself).

The weight gain is only about two pounds, I was just expecting to see even a quarter pound drop.

I feel and look better so I will start going by the measuring tape and only weigh myself once a week. I am new to this so I never knew muscles retained water to help with the repairing process in the beginning so that may be the cause.

Thank you so much for all your replies!

I fluctuate 2-4 lbs a DAY! You're fine.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    claypilk wrote: »
    I'm sure you've heard this before... muscle weighs more than fat. !

Not this again :'( Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat or a pound of feathers or a pound of elephants you get the idea. A pound is a pound no matter what the substance.

Muscle is more dense than fat.

How many times are we going to hear that muscle weighs more than fat AAARRRGGHHHHHH :#

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    How dramatic was this calorie drop? How was your eating before? If you drop your calories too low, the body responds by holding on to everything it can. So if you were already eating too little and then you restrict further, that could explain things.

I wish people would stop repeating this nonsense. At least you didn't use the words "starvation mode"

There is an adaptive response to long term, extreme caloric deprivation whereby your body metabolizes lean muscle tissue to reduce the number of calories needed to sustain life. It does not "hold onto" anything otherwise Japanese POWs would have been roly poly rather than walking skeletons..........

To the OP: are you weighing and measuring all of your food intake and being brutally honest about logging it? The most likely explanation is that you're eating more than you think you are......