Gym Addiction

Options
About 10 years ago, going to the gym was something that I had to almost force myself to do. I would come up with all kinds of excuses to do something else instead.

Today, it's the other way around. I know rest days are necessary but sometimes I forget about them and I workout anyway. I suppose there could be far worse things to be addicted to (drugs, gambling, booze, etc) It's gotten the point where it's affecting relationships (in a not so good way).

Has anyone else here experienced this?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm all about balance and moderation in all things, including my fitness. I love to ride and I love to lift...but I also love spending quality time with my kids and my wife.
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Nope. Im usually too tired and exhausted after 5 good hard days. By that time I hurt everywhere, and need the recuperation. I also catch a flick or something with the significant other and the next day feel like a new person.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    I rest twice a week now. Took me a while to get there because for a while I was only resting once per week. I get invited to many types of events during the week but I am not cancelling my workouts for them if it's a non rest day. Maybe I am taking it too far. Thanks, guys.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Consider seeing a therapist. You may not have muscle dysmorpia, but if your gym time is interfering with personal relationships, it might be time to look into whether or not you have a problem. And if you don't, maybe they could help with the relationship issues. :)
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    It would help if my significant other liked to work out. She'll do the treadmill once, maybe twice a week and that's it. She was really into working out when we started dating though but started fall off a bit.