Opinions on Morning workouts and what to eat

Options
Hello All,

I recently starting working out in the morning and love it a lot. My question is regarding whether or not to eat before going to the gym and around how many calories.

My workouts in the morning are either about 45 minutes or an 75 minutes.

They are usually a mix of cardio and lifting. Cardio is never more than 30 minutes typically.

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Personally I have to eat before going or I would pass out. I have something small usually and coffee (need my coffee and there is research saying caffeine before a workout is beneficial). Avoid anything heavy or fatty. Carbs are better before and protein after or so they say.

Just note everyone is different, some people can't eat first thing in the morning and that is OK too. However, a 75 minute workout, you might just run out of fuel.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings also. I usually don't eat before I go, but when I do it's just like a piece of fruit or something. Sometimes my workouts are kind of long, so I'll bring a 50/50 mix of water and Gatorade with me and sip on it if I feel my energy levels dropping too low.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before going to the gym, but I do eat afterward. My workout is 60 mins of cardio 5 days with one or two with some strength training and 30 min walk on the treadmill. If I don't eat something soon after, i'm hungry all day. it's usually a sausage and biscuit, or a bacon biscuit.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My hunger schedule has changed over time since I started working out in the mornings. I used to have to snack first, then I just needed coffee first and food right away after, now I get right to the workout, have coffee after my shower, and don't eat until I get to work (that's because there is a cafeteria here and I am THAT lazy). But I feel fine.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I can't workout hungry, it makes me feel weak, sick and dizzy. I have something like a slice of toast with cheese, a banana, or small roll with egg etc
  • lmlilly
    lmlilly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work out really early and vigorously, eating beforehand would make me feel sick. I prefer to grab some protein when I get home.
  • chris_finnigan
    chris_finnigan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Before my morning runs i have granola and greek yoghurt. I need something before i go or i just run out of steam.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before morning workouts, but I'm usually not hungry at 5am. I can't eat before cardio regardless of what time it is.
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Barbara's raspberry fig bars and coffee
    Larabar
    Banana with peanut butter
    Oatmeal cookie or some other leftover baked good
    Lots of water always

I don't always eat before jogging but sometimes I do. Small carby things, nothing spicy, and not too much like for me under 200 cals probably
  • slatecash
    slatecash Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before exercise you must consume no more than 200 call of protein. Carbs do not help, they make your workout less efficient. After the workout you should eat 2 to 1 or 4 to 1, protein to carbs.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't. I have to wait 2hrs otherwise I get nauseous/sick.
  • April_Marie85
    April_Marie85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat at least 30 minutes before you work out, something with a lot of protein...not eating before isnt good.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If I eat before working out I cramp up pretty bad, but working out on an empty stomach has never bothered me. Afterwards I blend protein powder with something, usually spinach/kale/berries.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I need to eat before, and try to eat aprox 1 hour before. Also something that can be easily digestible.
    Now I can eat a normal breakfast that is 2 slices of bread with peanut butter.
    When that was too much I did 1 slice and a bit of yoghurt.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the morning and I have to eat beforehand or else I just don't have the power to push myself as hard as I can. Usually I eat about 2 hours before I begin working out.

My usual breakfasts are: oatmeal, with a banana

Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana on the side

Hard boiled egg with either Pb and toast on the side or oatmeal.
    I also have a cup of water before I eat and drink
    Regular orange pekoe tea while I'm eating.

I've found these combos usually provide me quite enough fuel to get through an hour long fitness class (usually weightlifting or cycling) and at the end, though my appetite is kicking in, I don't feel ravenous.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    slatecash wrote: »
    Before exercise you must consume no more than 200 call of protein. Carbs do not help, they make your workout less efficient. After the workout you should eat 2 to 1 or 4 to 1, protein to carbs.
    says who? I have a banana and a big glass of water before my morning runs or any workout for that matter