High Blood Sugar Rant

triciab79
triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
I went to the Dr last week for the annual and she recommended I get the basic blood panel done. I did and my results came back with a high A1C, pre diabetic. The DR recommended I cut carbs.

I already eat fairly low carb (120-140 per day), I am aiming for high protein. My diet is better than anyone I know (IRL some of the MFP people have insanely good diets). I am 5'4" and 123lbs. I work out 1-2hrs 5 days a week. I am in the best physical shape I have every been in.

I am pissed. When I was pregnant and 100lbs heavier I was not shocked to find out I had gestational diabetes. I though, well I will fix my diet and exercise more and I will be fine. I did and after the baby was born my A1C went back into normal zone. I lost the 100lbs, I built muscle, I became one of the healthiest 30 something year old people I know. What the heck am I supposed to do? Live on nothing but chicken breast?

Rant over.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Chicken breast is the last thing I would be eating. Eggs, cheese, any meat with a decent amount of fat, mayo, oil/vinegar dressings etc etc.

I would give the popcorn a miss, can't imagine that helps the BG.

It seems to be not uncommon for gestational diabetics to become Type 2 diabetics, dunno if this is cause and effect or just the genes waving a flag during pregnancy.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    triciab79 wrote: »
    I went to the Dr last week for the annual and she recommended I get the basic blood panel done. I did and my results came back with a high A1C, pre diabetic. The DR recommended I cut carbs.

I already eat fairly low carb (120-140 per day), I am aiming for high protein. My diet is better than anyone I know (IRL some of the MFP people have insanely good diets). I am 5'4" and 123lbs. I work out 1-2hrs 5 days a week. I am in the best physical shape I have every been in.

I am pissed. When I was pregnant and 100lbs heavier I was not shocked to find out I had gestational diabetes. I though, well I will fix my diet and exercise more and I will be fine. I did and after the baby was born my A1C went back into normal zone. I lost the 100lbs, I built muscle, I became one of the healthiest 30 something year old people I know. What the heck am I supposed to do? Live on nothing but chicken breast?

Rant over.

Does diabetes run in your family? If yes, it doesn't matter whether you eat healthy, exercise frequently, and are a healthy weight. You are still predisposed. Diabetes doesn't discriminate.

The simple fact that you had GD increases your odds of developing type 2 diabetes.

I would suggest taking a look at the KIND of carbs you are consuming. I would also focus on protein and fat intake… lots of lean meats like chicken and turkey, fatty fish like salmon, non-starchy vegetables, olive oils, nuts, seeds, avocado, etc.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Sorry, that does suck! Could what you ate the day before affect it?

Can you switch up your carbs if you're eating simple ones? Go for veggies and quinoa and whole wheat pasta? Maybe stick to raspberries and blackberries for fruit.

Make some tweaks and get retested in a month?

Some of us are predisposed to this. Runs in my family. ARGH!
  • triciab79
    Fats are probably going to be a miss for me. While I was prego and tracking the BG after each meal, fat was a bit of an enemy. Even low carb items that were moderate to high fat spiked my blood sugar. I don't know if regular blood sugar will work the same way but I didn't handle fat well back then. I know I probably need to either eliminate or spread the popcorn across the day better. I hate the idea of that though. I love my popcorn, it is like my last carb hold over since I no longer eat white rice, bread, or pasta on even a monthly basis.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    yarwell wrote: »
    Chicken breast is the last thing I would be eating. Eggs, cheese, any meat with a decent amount of fat, mayo, oil/vinegar dressings etc etc.

I would give the popcorn a miss, can't imagine that helps the BG.

It seems to be not uncommon for gestational diabetics to become Type 2 diabetics, dunno if this is cause and effect or just the genes waving a flag during pregnancy.

Chicken breast is a wonderful source of protein for pre-diabetics and diabetics. It's lean and fairly low calorie.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Over the years more than one health professional reminded me that even with my best choices, diabetes could still catch up with me. You have a weenie pancreas that is pooped out is all. Blame your genetics.

You ARE making great choices. You ARE in excellent health. You have likely been running ahead of this diagnosis and given yourself years of superior health.

Now, down to basics. You might see better sugar control by eating on a routine and making sure you have a good balance of macros at every meal, every snack. Have you considered getting a sugar tester to narrow down which foods might be giving you the biggest trouble?

And Metformin is a miracle drug that really helps manage blood sugars. Don't be put off it that's what you need.
  • triciab79
    High blood sugar actually does not run in my family. I would be the first diabetic of any variety in my family.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Fats are probably going to be a miss for me. While I was prego and tracking the BG after each meal, fat was a bit of an enemy. Even low carb items that were moderate to high fat spiked my blood sugar. I don't know if regular blood sugar will work the same way but I didn't handle fat well back then. I know I probably need to either eliminate or spread the popcorn across the day better. I hate the idea of that though. I love my popcorn, it is like my last carb hold over since I no longer eat white rice, bread, or pasta on even a monthly basis.

That doesn't make sense since fat has little to no effect on blood glucose which is why dietitians recommend a high fat, low carb diet to diabetics...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Follow the doctors orders. Things often get better when you do what the doctor tells you. Funny how that works. :)

People get put on some extremely restrictive diets for medical reasons. Low-carb...you're getting off easy. Do that and avoid worse!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Can you switch up your carbs if you're eating simple ones? Go for veggies and quinoa and whole wheat pasta? Maybe stick to raspberries and blackberries for fruit.

No, A1c isn't affected by what you just ate. It's the blood sugar test you can't really cheat. That's why they run them, so they're accurate. :)

• triciab79

That doesn't make sense since fat has little to no effect on blood glucose which is why dietitians recommend a high fat, low carb diet to diabetics...
    My dietician said the same thing back then. I swear she thought I was lying about my diet but I tracked everything. I am pretty good at tracking, not so much on MFP but I weigh and measure everything and keep a running tally in my head. Back then I kept it in a notebook, tracked every bite religiously, ate at the same times, and took reads at the same times and reported weekly. The numbers were just odd.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Seems a little odd, especially since this doesn't appear to be a genetic thing. Second opinions can't hurt; maybe there was some variable in the test that caused a false high?

Although you also said you've already tracked your BG during your pregnancy. Have you been testing yourself this time around too?
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    I was gestational diabetic as well and developed adult onset type 1 diabetes 3 years later. Do some research on LADA diabetes, adult onset type 1. I am and was at a healthy weight and exercise regularly. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease and there's no preventing it by diet or exercise. It wouldn't hurt to have antibiotics checked for type 1.
  • jgnatca
    High blood sugar actually does not run in my family. I would be the first diabetic of any variety in my family.

Perhaps you are an outlier then, a quirky genetic anomaly. I mean to say that your healthy choices are all good, and they've been good enough. You simply have a pooped out pancreas. In a society where we are increasingly expecting to have the answer at our fingertips, something like this can throw us for a loop. It isn't your fault, there is nothing wrong with your diet, and it happened anyways.
  • triciab79
    jgnatca wrote: »

Perhaps you are an outlier then, a quirky genetic anomaly. I mean to say that your healthy choices are all good, and they've been good enough. You simply have a pooped out pancreas. In a society where we are increasingly expecting to have the answer at our fingertips, something like this can throw us for a loop. It isn't your fault, there is nothing wrong with your diet, and it happened anyways.

Lol I do like your reference to my pooped our pancreas, it sounds like a pet. :-) I think if I really look at it I am more mad that she didn't order anything to further test. She prescribed a low carb diet without asking me what my diet even was. I bet she didn't even look at my chart when she got the result, I bet she just lumped me in with every other raised A1C and said, oh raised level, she must need to diet.

I have been thinking a lot lately about how physicians are mishandling obesity in general, along with all the associated health risks. It seems to be a treat the symptoms mentality. Person is obese - prescribe diet and exercise - with no specific testing or advise as to which diet or exercise will be most effective for that person. Person has an elevated A1C - prescribe reducing carbs without even testing to establish why they have a raised A1C.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Can you see a dietician or nutritionist for further guidance?
  • jgnatca
    I do agree with you there. I think your carb limits look fine.

I don't think there are further tests to find out why. Your A1C is high. All I can think of diet wise is to see if certain foods aren't working for you. First potential culprit, low fiber carbs.

If I were in your shoes I'd insist on Metformin. That's with my perfect hindsight vision.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Most of the people I know who control their diabetes with diet eat under 100 grams of carbs a day, but at least one person I know gets more of an increase from fat than from carbs. This guy gives sensible advice for finding out what triggers your blood sugar increases, by measuring your own blood sugar, with the least expensive test strips.

http://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16/
  • pinkprincess40
    pinkprincess40 Posts: 2 Member
    I have type 2 diabetes - I've been told to limit my carb intake to 90-100g. For me though fats spike my sugar levels considerably higher than carbs everyone is different. Ask your chemist for a glucose machine and test yourself at home before every meal and about 2 hours after to find out what triggers you. Patrick Holford is a good read
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

No, A1c isn't affected by what you just ate. It's the blood sugar test you can't really cheat. That's why they run them, so they're accurate. :)

This. The A1C measures how your body deals with glucose over a three month period. It's far more accurate than a simple fasting blood test.

OP don't be afraid to take Metformin. I was on it from August 2008 until last month. I had no bad side effects while taking it. I'm sorry you've had this diagnosis and since you sound like you're in good health it must be even more frustrating to be given this diagnosis.