Your most obsessive food measuring moment.

Options
I have pet rats. Sometimes they need very small amounts of medication. Therefore, I own a box full of One-use 1ml syringes...
I just used one to measure out 2ml of extra virgin olive oil for my salad. Yup.
I am proud ;)

So. What have you guys done?

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I was gonna chastise, but you did in fact say "one-use". Phew.
  • leonora711
    leonora711 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nonononononono. I would never use a used one xD
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    With foods like peanut butter that I get from the user database, I fuss to get it to the gram that corresponds to the tablespoon or whatever measurement. Did that make sense? For example, for butter, I use the system entry, and just put whatever grams I come up with without fussing.
  • leonora711
    Options
    I'm the same. I often decide on a certain number of grams before i measure anything. Then I NEED to hit that number.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Probably counting out individual cheez-its and putting them into single-serving baggies so I won't overindulge while watching TV. Compared to most people on here, it's not that unusual. To my family members, the only explanation is an eating disorder.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,648 Member
    Options
    Nah, measuring peanut butter or butter and counting out cheese itz just makes good sense. It's easy to overeat both.

I've weighed lettuce. To the gram. And logged it.
  • leonora711
    Options
    I always weigh my lettuce :o
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I get all crazy by eyeballing everything...

But back in my early weight loss the only strange thing I did was measure 1/4 cup of ice cream.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »

But back in my early weight loss the only strange thing I did was measure 1/4 cup of ice cream.

Ooh....eyeballing ice cream would be dangerous for me. I'll eyeball lettuce or chicken (I eat it enough to guesstimate), but peanut butter, oils, and creams? No can do.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was seen at work weighing an apple using the postage scale. Embarrassed to this day.

Edit: Needless to say, I did not go back and weigh the uneaten core.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Freidon wrote: »
    MB_Positif wrote: »

Ooh....eyeballing ice cream would be dangerous for me. I'll eyeball lettuce or chicken (I eat it enough to guesstimate), but peanut butter, oils, and creams? No can do.

While I do believe weighing food is a great tool, I've been able to maintain a 50 pound loss for over 3.5 years with the exception of the weight I gained on purpose this winter/spring to build muscle without weighing one bite of food in the entire 4.5 year process.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I was seen at work weighing an apple using the postage scale. Embarrassed to this day.

But did you take the core home in a baggie to weigh it?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I added three flakes to my cereal bowl to make it 6 instead of 5g of fiber. That's too crazy, I know.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,648 Member
    Options
    I've used the postage scale and actually bought a portable scale so I can weigh stuff when I go out to eat. Only stuff I serve myself tho. My stomach is bigger thsn my brain.

I've also had Subway scoop out the bread from a sandwich and give it to me so I could take it home to weigh it.
  • onthemesa
    onthemesa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I wrap my apple core from lunch in the plastic wrap my sandwich was in, then weigh it when I get home.
  • leonora711
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    actually bought a portable scale so I can weigh stuff when I go out to eat.

I just bought a portable one too! I left my pre weighed and logged salad (lunch) at home last week and got so frustrated when I realized I wouldn't be able to weigh out the feta cubes (bought a bunch of ingredients from the shop to make another salad at work). I ended up counting them so I could weigh the equivalent when I got home.....
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    onthemesa wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I wrap my apple core from lunch in the plastic wrap my sandwich was in, then weigh it when I get home.

Why don't you just core the apple at home and take the weighed slices to work? That's what I do.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I just round down to the nearest ten or so if it's an apple--I don't even weigh the core when I'm hanging out at home! But I log my exercise on MFP so the numbers are never 100% accurate anyway.

I weigh things like onions and lettuce and green beans. If I use canned vegetables, I find generic MFP entries because I think their 125 gram servings include the liquid from the can (there's really no other explanation).

But I don't make sure I measure up to one tablespoon of peanut butter or anything like that--I'm happy with 12 grams on a slice of bread and that's a 5 gram savings, right? I try to eat cheese in multiples of 7 but that's more to control my own consumption than anything else.