Low carb, low fat, high protein side dish??

Options
cassidyciera
cassidyciera Posts: 12 Member
I east some sort of chicken breast in almost every meal, but I can't have brown rice with it every time because it would be way to many carbs! So, what is your favorite low carb, low fat, high protein side dish?? Thanks!!

Replies

• missangel81
    missangel81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I dont have any sorry, but would be interested in knowing...I also cant tolerate carbs so find side dishes hard
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i like eating shrimp, egg whites, spinach, mushrooms, cheese sprinkled with mrs dash and some liquid aminos (natural version of soy sauce)
  • cbirkman
    cbirkman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like quinoa
  • cassidyciera
    cassidyciera Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How about cauliflower rice or cauliflower mashed potatoes....they are both real good and zero carbs. I also use cauliflower and make potato salad. Google cauliflower low carb recipes and you will come up with all kind of ideas
  • ladylocolisa
    ladylocolisa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but what about courgette spaghetti?
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Can of tuna
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    not exactly a side dish ...but my solution to padding my protein numbers at the end of the day is jerky. I'm learning to make my own. In fact I need to stop typing right now and take my latest batch out of the dehydrator.
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @Blossom59
    Blossom59 wrote: »
    How about cauliflower rice or cauliflower mashed potatoes....they are both real good and zero carbs. I also use cauliflower and make potato salad. Google cauliflower low carb recipes and you will come up with all kind of ideas

How do you figure cauliflower served any way is zero carbs? It might be a little less than potatoes, but cauliflower certainly does have carbs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Low fat, low carb and high protein would be things like chicken breast.

Now, if you wanted low fat, low carb and low protein you could do any number of green vegetables. By the way, cauliflower isn't "zero carbs". The only things that are zero carbs are meats and pure fats. All vegetables, including cauliflower, have some level of carbs but almost no protein.

I think you'd be better off leaving the high protein portion of your diet to your main dish (chicken, fish, etc.) and stick to low carb green vegetables for your sides.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    @Blossom59
    Blossom59 wrote: »

How do you figure cauliflower served any way is zero carbs? It might be a little less than potatoes, but cauliflower certainly does have carbs.

I was wondering the same thing.

OP any particular reason you're doing low carb? If you're struggling to make it work with your diet, maybe low carb isn't for you.

I'm not a big low carb person, but there are tons of low-carb recipes online. Maybe add "keto" to your query; I'm sure there are lots of side dishes that meet your criteria.
  • psucato
    psucato Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi i feel your pain. I'm on a diet no sugar 20 carb max 1 100cal. I have been a huge pasta guy for all my life and i miss it but i have found a low carb option. I have been using Tofu Shirataki Noodles. 20cal 3 carb 2 go fiber. If you put them with a little tomato sauce they taste like real pasta and the whole thing is 5 carbs. I have had some put chicken breast over it and a little cheese on it and it is a low carb chicken Parmesan. You can get the noodles on line or they sell them at sprouts. I hope this helps
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Low cal low fat I can offer some suggestions but you're already pairing it with chicken so really you shouldn't need another high protein as a side dish...

I love roasted veggies. I toss a huge bowl of diced zucchini, squash, red onions, mushrooms, red peppers, and cherry tomatoes with a bit of coconut oil, salt pepper and dried thyme and roast at 400 for 20min. Leftovers go in my eggs in the morning.

Small bowl of lentils with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion and feta with red wine vinegar is also good and filling.

• NanaJane53
    NanaJane53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try cutting ribbons of zucchini and using them as "noodles". Works great.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    psucato wrote: »
    Hi i feel your pain. I'm on a diet no sugar 20 carb max 1 100cal. I have been a huge pasta guy for all my life and i miss it but i have found a low carb option. I have been using Tofu Shirataki Noodles. 20cal 3 carb 2 go fiber. If you put them with a little tomato sauce they taste like real pasta and the whole thing is 5 carbs. I have had some put chicken breast over it and a little cheese on it and it is a low carb chicken Parmesan. You can get the noodles on line or they sell them at sprouts. I hope this helps

This is a great idea - thank you so much for suggesting it! Now I have to go find them at my local Asian grocery store ...
  • tdr82
    tdr82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    All good ideas. I was thinking of trying to steam some spinich and mix though some beans and quinoa for a highish protein side dish. Always fun experimenting while cooking