Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Running!

So, I've been running for a little over a month now, at least twice a week (except for last week I only ran once because I had a leg injury) and I CANNOT BREATHE!! I went from running only 1 mile in 13 minutes to now running 2 in 11:20 or 3 in 12. I've really been working hard to slowly build up to where I'm at. Everyone keeps telling me the breathing will come, but it's not getting ANY easier. I breath lightly in through my nose and then exhale heavily through my mouth. It's not making the difference I want it to! I'm just wondering if any of you have helpful tips and tricks to steady and make your breathing easier!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Run slower.

No really, run slower.

Did I say run slower?

Don't worry about breathing in through the nose, do what works for you. It does for some, not so much for others. I can't get enough air that way.

If you are just learning to run, slow is the key. Don't worry about trying to run faster yet.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Yep.

Slow down.
    Then slow down more.

If you can't easily recite the pledge of allegiance, slow down more.

The speed will come. You have to run slow to get faster.
  • sbostonRN
    sbostonRN Posts: 14 Member
    I ran my first 10K at a 14 min/mile pace in June 2013. I'm now up to a 10 min/mile but it's taken a long time and lots of weight loss to get there! Definitely slow down like others have said...it takes time for your lungs to get stronger. I personally cannot breathe through my nose - I don't get enough air. Breathing through your mouth will dry it out faster but it is what it is.

Keep at it!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Slow down til the breathing gets easier. Also, don't work yourself up about your breathing; if you stress about it, then it will feel harder. On my solo runs, I might pace 8:30 and feel like I was dying if I'm worrying about my breathing too much, but on group runs, I'll run the same pace while talking the whole time and feel great at the end.

All that being said, I find that breathing in and out through my mouth gives me more air. And try to focus on "belly" breathing -- you'll get deeper, fuller breaths that way.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Don't even bother measuring your pace, it just is important, and for a given level of effort, your pace will change based on the temperature, your level of fatigue, any illness, lack of sleep, etc.

I like to inhale for three steps, then exhale for three steps. Deep belly breathing as @kristinegift says. For me, getting my breathing into the same rhythm as my running ensures I breathe properly and helps to get me in the zone.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    +1000 for slow down and don't worry about breathing in through your nose, feel free to be a mouth breather (when running) if you need to be .....focus more on keeping your breathing deep and relaxed (but it should also feel natural). Patience and consistency are your friends (you may also want to consider running 3 x weekly rather than twice, it's like practicing a musical instrument the frequency is at least as important as the duration, and if you need to use a run/walk method to build your aerobic base)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I'll be a broken record and repeat: slow down. Don't worry about breathing through your nose. Many of us don't at times. Some of us never do. So open your mouth and let that air in!

On most of your training runs you should be running s l o w. Slow means at a pace where you can carry on something of a conversation out loud without gasping. Talk to yourself if you don't have a running buddy. Better yet get a running buddy and talk to her/him! Or a dog. I talk to my dog constantly while running. She doesn't mind at all.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Speed up.

Nah, just kidding.

• unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    In addition to the 'slow down' mantra, I'd add that if there is any history of asthma in your family you may want to discuss with a doctor whether you may also be at risk from it. If not, then as others have said, your lungs will get stronger over time, just give it time.
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    I used to be much fitter and have been hampering myself this time round by trying to go off at too fast a pace, like I used to be able to. As a result was struggling to maintain speed more than 10 minutes. Finally bit the bullet, accepted reality and managed 90 mins at 7k/h. Speed can come later> I need to slim a little first so as I don't ruin my joints.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I mistyped in my earlier post. It should have read, "pace just isn't that important"