Eating back exercise calories

Options
Hi, I was wondering if I should be eating back the calories I get from cardio exercises? I know MFP estimates are usually above what they should be, so as a general rule, I've been eating 50% or less of the calories I've been getting as a result of exercise. Is this too much or should I not be eating back the calories at all?

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, then yes. If you aren't, then no.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I exercise to eat and drink, nuff said
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I exercise to eat and drink, nuff said

Same here :+1:

The more I exercise, the more I get to eat.

• JennyLynnMSO
    JennyLynnMSO Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about this myself. Anybody out there really know what they're talking about? From what I've heard, talking to trainers and friends who train, lowballing your calories by 50% is the way to go. If the point of counting calories is to lose weight, then overestimating calories in and underestimating calories out makes sense to me.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I eat back most, sometimes all of my exercise calories fitbit gives me.
    You just need to experiment.
  • KeliseJackson
    KeliseJackson Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm new to mfp and fitbit, I am also confuse by this. My calorie in is 1032 and my calories out is 1780. Fitbit says that I am over my budget by 78 what does that mean? Is it a bad thing. Or am I actually overeating?
    I am 25. 5'6" and 191lb I'm trying to go down to about 130 - 135lbs

• Christine_72
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm new to mfp and fitbit, I am also confuse by this. My calorie in is 1032 and my calories out is 1780. Fitbit says that I am over my budget by 78 what does that mean? Is it a bad thing. Or am I actually overeating?
    I am 25. 5'6" and 191lb I'm trying to go down to about 130 - 135lbs

Pay no attention to what fitbit says in regards to calories. Fitbit estimates calories in/out up until midnight, which is when mfp and fitbit numbers *should* be relatively close.

This question has been asked and answered many times in our fitbit group. Check out the FAQS section, loads of helpful info, Which is explained far clearer than I am able :wink:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

• KeliseJackson
    KeliseJackson Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll check it out. :-)
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't track my calories burned at all. I focus on hitting a specific calorie goal that lets me make good progress towards my fitness goal, whether that be losing, maintaining, or gaining weight. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.