Stronglifts 5x5 for Women

Options
I started using the Stronglifts 5x5 app this week. On squats, I'm having no problem. Deadlifts, barbel rows and OHP ... different story. I tried doing the barbel row with 65 lbs ... could not lift it in proper form. So took off the plates - just the barbel alone was barely liftable for me.

OHP - tried doing that with just the barbel. Could not even do two proper form lifts. So I went over to the fixed weight barbells (sorry don't know what they are called) and used a 30lb one. That one I was able to do with fairly good form.

Deadlift - by the time I was ready to do my deadlift, all the barbels were in use. So I tried using one of those fixed weight bars at 50lbs. I did it easily, but I'm not sure if it was in good form because the barbel was too close to the ground??

I am 5'9/f/39/238. This is my second week back into lifting, but I've been consistent with my cardio for about a month now. My plan for my routine is 2 or 3 days cardio (2 HIT/1 regular), and 3 days heavy strength training. I'm eating about 1650 - 1800 calories.

So ... I guess what I'm asking is what should I do about the OHP and the barbel rows? The deadlifts I guess I should just wait til a barbell is available so I can do one with the bar properly off the ground??

The app kind of almost seems useless to me right now, because it wants me to add weight to their starting points .. but I'm not even able to do the starting points (other than squats and bench press) yet.

My goal is losing weight/inches.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You should be able to set the increments the weight increases on the app if I remember correctly. You can also change the weight to reflect your starting weight.

For the deadlift - you can use something under the ends of the barbell to make it higher off the ground. Like rest it on a plate or two.
  • laneer75
    laneer75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I figured out how to adjust the increments, but I don't see how to adjust the starting weights? Also, I couldn't figure out how to tell it that I couldn't complete a set?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    laneer75 wrote: »
    Thanks. I figured out how to adjust the increments, but I don't see how to adjust the starting weights? Also, I couldn't figure out how to tell it that I couldn't complete a set?

I just got a new phone and don't have the app on it. I can't remember off the top of my head. There is a way to tell it that you failed to do all the reps and it automatically sets the timer for 5 minutes and won't add weight to your next session but I can't remember how. Sorry.
    Hopefully someone else will see this.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Using those fixed weight barbells for OHP is fine. If your gym has a 35 pound "womens" bar, that could be helpful too. Possibly helpful for the row as well.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider asking gym staff about the weights of the barbells.
    My gym has:
    1 x 35 lb
    1 x 41 lb
    1 x 41.5 lb
    1 x 47 lb
    1 x 50 lb
    And then there are a couple that I haven't looked at yet, so I don't know their weights.

I didn't realize they were all different weights at first (well except the 35 lb one, it looks a little different than the rest). I asked a trainer if it was normal for the weight to seem heavier on some occasions, too easy on others, and she showed me that each of the barbells was a different weight (the weights are written on with permanent marker on tape on one side of the bar at my gym). Yes I felt really dumb for not realizing it, but that said I now know to adjust my plates according to what bar I have. I was originally assuming that they were all about 45lbs and now that I know they aren't, it totally explains my starting struggles (just imagine doing 41 lb bar one day, thinking it's okay to add 5 lbs and actually end up adding 5 lbs to the 47 lb the next time you go in...ya that's how dumb I was about it at first).
  • laneer75
    Options
    Thanks 3dogsrunning. I'll keep looking for how to do it.

Arditarose - Thanks - I didn't see any fixed weight barbells that were in between decades. There doesn't seem to be too many women who use the weight lifting area (the gym has all the machines pretty much upstairs in a separate area.)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Arditarose - Thanks - I didn't see any fixed weight barbells that were in between decades. There doesn't seem to be too many women who use the weight lifting area (the gym has all the machines pretty much upstairs in a separate area.)

The 35 pound bar should look exactly like the 45 pound bar. Sometimes the only reason you can tell by looking at it is the bar is just a LITTLE more skinny.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You could also use dumbbells until you get stronger as well. In the first few months of the program you'll progress quickly and be able to move to the barbell. Form is also incredibly important in order to push the most weight. Make sure you're reading up / you-tubing stuff on that as well.
  • laneer75
    Options
    You might want to consider asking gym staff about the weights of the barbells.
    My gym has:
    1 x 35 lb
    1 x 41 lb
    1 x 41.5 lb
    1 x 47 lb
    1 x 50 lb
    And then there are a couple that I haven't looked at yet, so I don't know their weights.

I didn't realize they were all different weights at first (well except the 35 lb one, it looks a little different than the rest). I asked a trainer if it was normal for the weight to seem heavier on some occasions, too easy on others, and she showed me that each of the barbells was a different weight (the weights are written on with permanent marker on tape on one side of the bar at my gym). Yes I felt really dumb for not realizing it, but that said I now know to adjust my plates according to what bar I have. I was originally assuming that they were all about 45lbs and now that I know they aren't, it totally explains my starting struggles (just imagine doing 41 lb bar one day, thinking it's okay to add 5 lbs and actually end up adding 5 lbs to the 47 lb the next time you go in...ya that's how dumb I was about it at first).

Thanks! I will have to ask/look about that!
  • laneer75
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

The 35 pound bar should look exactly like the 45 pound bar. Sometimes the only reason you can tell by looking at it is the bar is just a LITTLE more skinny.

Ok, I will look again on Wednesday to see if I can find the inbetween bars.
  • laneer75
    Options
    You could also use dumbbells until you get stronger as well. In the first few months of the program you'll progress quickly and be able to move to the barbell. Form is also incredibly important in order to push the most weight. Make sure you're reading up / you-tubing stuff on that as well.

Thanks. I have been doing a lot of reading/watching videos. It's just so different when you're actually *there* in the gym. When I was doing the barbell lifts on Friday, I totally blanked on how to do them. So I asked the guy next to me :) (I've done dumbbell ones numerous times, but never barbel ones ...)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Our gym has several lighter weight bars than the OLY. I've even seen some of the trainers teach form with a broomstick.
  • petervz01
    petervz01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    if you can't complete a set, tap the button multiple times on the app. the first time it says you did 5, tap it again it changes to 4, again, 3, etc. if you don't complete a set I think it drops your weight down for the next time. I found out by accident when my 4 year old was pushing the buttons for me while we were working out together.
  • laneer75
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Our gym has several lighter weight bars than the OLY. I've even seen some of the trainers teach form with a broomstick.

I will definitely ask at the gym tomorrow about lighter bars!
  • laneer75
    Options
    petervz01 wrote: »
    if you can't complete a set, tap the button multiple times on the app. the first time it says you did 5, tap it again it changes to 4, again, 3, etc. if you don't complete a set I think it drops your weight down for the next time. I found out by accident when my 4 year old was pushing the buttons for me while we were working out together.

Perfect! Thank you!
  • Catflower6
    Catflower6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started using the Stronglifts 5x5 app this week. On squats, I'm having no problem. Deadlifts, barbel rows and OHP ... different story. I tried doing the barbel row with 65 lbs ... could not lift it in proper form. So took off the plates - just the barbel alone was barely liftable for me.

OHP - tried doing that with just the barbel. Could not even do two proper form lifts. So I went over to the fixed weight barbells (sorry don't know what they are called) and used a 30lb one. That one I was able to do with fairly good form.

Deadlift - by the time I was ready to do my deadlift, all the barbels were in use. So I tried using one of those fixed weight bars at 50lbs. I did it easily, but I'm not sure if it was in good form because the barbel was too close to the ground??

I am 5'9/f/39/238. This is my second week back into lifting, but I've been consistent with my cardio for about a month now. My plan for my routine is 2 or 3 days cardio (2 HIT/1 regular), and 3 days heavy strength training. I'm eating about 1650 - 1800 calories.

So ... I guess what I'm asking is what should I do about the OHP and the barbel rows? The deadlifts I guess I should just wait til a barbell is available so I can do one with the bar properly off the ground??

The app kind of almost seems useless to me right now, because it wants me to add weight to their starting points .. but I'm not even able to do the starting points (other than squats and bench press) yet.

My goal is losing weight/inches.

• Catflower6
    Catflower6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 5x5 training that's all you do for 12 weeks, it is a strength programme. You choose your starting weights by your level of capability...the idea is to get stronger over the weeks. You will compromise your strength gains with cardio on that particular programme. Most people give up half way. Try and complete if you're able to and be consistent. Don't be ruled by an app. Food is key for your weight loss, inches will be lost.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Catflower6 wrote: »
    If you're doing 5x5 training that's all you do for 12 weeks, it is a strength programme. You choose your starting weights by your level of capability...the idea is to get stronger over the weeks. You will compromise your strength gains with cardio on that particular programme. Most people give up half way. Try and complete if you're able to and be consistent. Don't be ruled by an app. Food is key for your weight loss, inches will be lost.

No cardio? I have been doing modest cardio and plan to start SL 5x5 soon. My plan is to lift 3 days a week and continue my cardio on the opposite four days. Is this not okay? My goal is to lose weight (through eating at a deficit) and to build strength as well as cardio-respiratory endurance.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Catflower6 wrote: »

The problem that arises is that you're supposed to increase each weight by five pounds every workout. For some people, that's far too much, too fast. I know that in the first few weeks, I started to get really discouraged when I noticed I was stuck. I've been at 50-55 OHP for two weeks now (haven't completed 5 sets of 55 yet), but I've learned that not everyone can advance that quickly.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't see the problem with cardio on off days. T and TH I do Zumba, and Sat and Sun I do some walking and light strength training.