my abdomen fat is killing me, it wont go away

Options
I do some bicycle crunches and leg raises in the evening. I take care of my diet. Help me have a flat stomach.

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    You can't "spot-reduce" fat in any particular area. To loose weight on your torso/abs area, you have to loose it everywhere.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Last place to go. Have to be super lean. Strict diet (500 deficit) and killing yourself in the gym.
  • merryandr3w
    merryandr3w Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dont go above 1500 calories
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat in your abdomen by doing crunches. It doesn't work like that. Each of us holds our body weight in the place that our genetics has determined. The only way to lose the fat from those places is to lower your body fat percentage overall.

I'd suggest eating at a slight deficit (.5 pound per week/250 calories under maintenance) and starting a strength training program to lower your body fat percentage.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I dont go above 1500 calories

Do you use a food scale?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Read http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
    That pretty much covers it.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    It might be the place you hang onto it. Keep losing, add in some workouts like cardio or weights, crunches won't get you far.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've always had some "padding" in that area, even when running half marathons and eating at high deficits. I'm just now noticing it start to flatten after I've started lifting heavy. It really does work!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you know your body fat%?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Profile says 33 pounds to go....yeah, you're gonna have belly flab....exercise isn't going to fix that, you need to shed a whole lot of pounds...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How long have you actually been tracking your calories in? Your profile shows 0 pounds lost, which makes me think that you are very new to it, which makes me comfortable throwing out a bit of advice--be patient.
  • BarbaraR5563
    BarbaraR5563 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    While you are losing weight, you can turn that body fat (tummy) into muscle. Try doing some crunches and keep doing them and you'll see your stomach/abs go from flabby to a six pack. I know from losing a whole lot more than 33 lbs. You can do it!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you cannot turn fat into muscle. and you cannot spot reduce

op: keep up with the calorie deficit and slowly you will see improvement
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit + Time = The Answer You Seek

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    While you are losing weight, you can turn that body fat (tummy) into muscle. Try doing some crunches and keep doing them and you'll see your stomach/abs go from flabby to a six pack. I know from losing a whole lot more than 33 lbs. You can do it!!!

It doesn't work this way. Fat doesn't "turn into" muscle, they are two completely different things. You lose fat through a calorie deficit, not through exercise (although exercise can contribute to the deficit). You gain muscle by eating above maintenance and progressively lifting heavier weights. While eating at a slight deficit and lifting weights you can maintain more of the muscle you already have so that more of your weight loss is from fat. That will lower your overall body fat percentage which is the only way to lose fat from any area.

Doing crunches (unnecessary!) may create a small amount of muscle in your abdomen but you'll never see it until you lose enough of the fat that is covering it for it to show through.
  • newblue95
    newblue95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you want a strong core, leg raises and bike crunches aren't going to be enough. I recommend adding the 30 day ab program on hasfit.com to your workout schedule. Their moves are more efficient than crunches, which don't do much.
    Just continue towards your weight loss goal and strengthen your core. It'll look flatter. Good luck!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

LOL - not sure if this was meant to be funny or not - but if only it worked that way!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce...doing crunches or whatever isn't going to eliminate fat from your stomach area. the "gut" is primary fat stores for most people...first on, last off.

I'm pretty lean all over and you can barely pinch anything on me...but I still have this tiny spare tire I'm contending with after almost 3 years of rockin' the good livin'
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

0002fde0-e9fe-0132-aad8-0acd8dfea39d.gif?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIV2GBF52KUKP672A&Expires=1748556077&Signature=8%2Fm0Dp7d%2BLkhHtwFokDnvZ90L0k%3D

you can build your abdominal muscles up with isolation work, but that doesn't have anything to do with actually cutting the fat...crunches don't cut fat and fat doesn't turn into muscle just because you're doing crunches.