New territory

Options
2 more lbs to go and I'll be down to my pre-Uni weight (before the Fresher 15 and then the Falling In Love 50!). As someone who was always on the 'big side', I wasn't thin even then, though that weight will bring me into the 'healthy' BMI range for the first time in a long time! It is freaking me out a bit (in a good way!) that, once I hit that mini-target, every further pound I lose will take me lower than I have ever been as an adult. It's not like I was a certain weight a few years ago and I'm aiming to get back to the weight I was - I literally don't know what I look/feel like as an adult weighing less than 159lbs.

It's exciting but really strange, to be creating this new person that I've never seen before. Has anyone else had this experience? Did it freak you out too? How long does it take to get used to the 'new' you?

Replies

• pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I know exactly how you're feeling. I wasn't really huge before because my height hid my weight. I did get really big a few years ago and am now down 81lbs.

I am now officially the smallest I can ever remember being. I was probably only 10 or 11 years old the last time I was this weight.

It is definitely a really strange feeling. My mind still has a lot of catching up to do.
  • belgarath64
    belgarath64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Going through my closet last week after over a year on MFP. I was a couple of pounds away from being morbidly obese, and now I am in the normal BMI range though still not at my target. I has suits that I had to get rid of because they are just way too big but way at the back of the closet I found a suit that fits, and I would say I have not warn it in over 25 years. I understand how ppl can become anorexic, because you still see far no matter how skinny you get but I know that I am soo much thinner than I was and once I hit my goal weight that is it. Need to be healthy. And yes sometimes I do look in the mirror and cannot believe this is me. Sounds like you are doing great work on your journey, congratulations!
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've picked a target of 10 stone/140lbs, but I've got no point of reference as to whether that will be right for me or not. I'm just going on BMI figures (that'd put me around the middle of 'healthy'). No idea if I'll look OK when I get there so I'm sort of flying blind. I'm tallish (5ft 7) but my wrists are quite dainty (less than 6") so I guess I do have small frame, it's just been hiding all these years LOL. It's very odd. Fitness/health is more important to me than aesthetics so I'll just keep on keeping on until I think I look/feel about right, then maybe switch my workouts to concentrate on building muscle.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=34&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=7&cheightmeter=180&printit=0&x=85&y=6

Ideal Weight Calculator
    Result
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 138.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 135.8 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 118.1 lbs - 159.6 lbs

140 sounds like a healthy target. Once you get there ( or close ), you can re-evaluate. Your pictures suggest a Pear or Rectangle body shape, which suggest you tend to hold fat in your waist hips and/or thighs. Because of that, you may find you want to go a bit lower, especially if you want to show off some abs.

It can be a strange experience looking in the mirror, after a significant change. Not really any stranger ( for me anyway ), than looking at old photos when I was in the military, etc.

Its never "freaked me out". In fact, one of the biggest motivating factors for me to continue is the noticeable changes in appearance as a result of my efforts. Embrace them, its an indication your making progress.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info :-) . Yes, very much a Pear shape - would like to lose the belly but keep the booty. Squats and planks are helping, along with everything else. I'm not one of those people who think there's 'magic number' I have to reach or that a number on a scale means I'll definitely look a certain way. Happy to reassess and modify my goals and regime as I go. I've had acquaintances tell me already that I'll look 'too thin' at my current goal weight which I think is ludicrous as *I've* no idea how I'll look so I don't know how they do. Tsk!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Couple pictures of 5' 7" 140 lb. women to give you an idea

c3rqk49ipgk6.jpg

t95kqlb01l7t.jpg

Obviously, YMMV. Whats important is that, wherever you end up, you're comfortable in your skin ... cause your the only one living in it.

GL