Cutting out Sugar and Alcohol

Options

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    jimbopolo wrote: »
    Afternoon/Morning all, thanks for all the comments and feedback :). I don't have any medical condition where I have to stop drinking or cut out my sugar but it was something i wanted to give a go to give myself the best chance of success in changing my lifestyle. I do enjoy cooking with raw ingredients so the evening meal isn't so bad, though working in the city where everything is made for convenience i am struggling to find something that doesn't have the sugar in.

I completely agree with everything in moderation but i have found myself drinking a lot more then usual and when i start its hard to stop, and when i stay off the alcohol i eat a lot more sugary foods/sweets to compensate. If i can find another way to cut down on both and and have them in moderation then that is the end game, but until i can get control i think this is the only way.

To the bolded: meal prep.

I cook my breakfasts and lunches on the weekend and pre-portion it out for everyday. I grab the meals in the AM and head to work. It allows me to save money and know the calories and macros/micros of what I'm eating. Once you start doing it, it gets easier and you get faster/more efficient at prepping every week.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I cut all processed sugars from my diet, as well as limiting fruits and veggies, especially those higher in sugar. I found the first few weeks quite difficult - I was fatigued and headachey - but it eventually passed and I feel better than before with reduced hunger, cravings, sugar fluctuations, and I just feel a little more mentally sharp.

The low carb form (LCD) has a few people doing a similar thing, so if you are looking for shared experiences it is a good place to go. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck with it!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    OP, REDUCE your added sugar. As for alcohol, personally I quit drinking back in my 20's (I partied myself out) and didn't find it hard to do. I still have a good time and pride myself on being the designated driver when my family/friends go out as a group.
    Don't trend on a fad that you won't do as a lifestyle. It's okay to have sugar, just don't exceed it to the point that you can't comp for the calories.
    My experience is with clients who have tried to do diets like this, is that weight regain is practically inevitable due to the fact that they couldn't eat that way the rest of their lives. Cake, ice cream, and other desserts have added sugar and aren't evil. It's just that people don't really TRY to eat a small portion of them. TRY to do it and learn the habit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    So much this!! I have done the very thing and to gain it all back because I didn't teach myself moderation. Now I have lost the weight and have been maintaining now for 10 months now.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ryanrieb wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Do you have to have a reason to want to eliminate added sugar from your diet? OP is asking for advice from people who have done the same thing.. not peoples $.02 about why he doesnt need to do it.

there is nothing wrong with a moderate consumption of sugar. If OP is doing it for a medical reason then that is one thing; however, going on a sugar detox because one believes that sugar is poison, causes weight gain, the devil, etc, etc, is a misinformed position and the reasoning behind said choice should be flushed out.

and last time I checked it is an open forum and people are free to post, ask questions, comment as they see fit.

He never said sugar was poison... its his body, he can decide what he doesnt want to put in it. He was asking for input from people doing the same thing... not for a bunch of people to chime in against it...

So what the point of saying how you did no added sugar when OP finds it hard on day 2? And it is not necessary unless OP has a medical condition.

Because i was providing SUPPORT which the OP asked for. So you're telling me that I shouldn't eliminate added sugar from my diet unless its medically necessary?

This is spot on.

Outside of a medical condition, there are plenty of reasons that someone might want to give up sugar (namely, refined sugar) and/or alcohol. I haven't touched a drink in months, because I hate the way it makes me feel. I get bloated; I feel lethargic; frequently, my workout the next day ends up being total crap. Is that a medical condition? No. Is it a health and wellness consideration? Abso-f*cking-lutely.

That doesn't mean that I'm gonna start soapboxing about how this is the 'be-all, end-all' solution and that we should all abstain from alcohol, but I (and, presumably, the OP) expect the same respect in turn.

I think OP is looking for help with abstaining from alcohol and sugar (let his reasons be his - it's his body, his health, and his lifestyle), not a bunch of people protesting and talking about how they refuse to give up wine/beer.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    All of you people ragging on Jimbo for not going with the moderation approach should just chill out. Not everybody has the discipline to go that route; in fact, most people don't. Why do you think most American's are over weight? Once they pick up that first donut, chip, beer, or whatever -- it is very difficult to stop until they've gone WAY beyond what can be called moderation.

I have chosen to quite drinking booze until I reach my target weight for the very same reason. Once I have that first drink, it will almost always lead to one or two more -- then my discipline is really broken down; I should have chips or pizza to go with that beer, right? Wrong.

Sweets have the same affect on most people; by creating a rush of dopamine -- once you get a taste of it, you crave more.

Only the individual trying to lose weight or improve their diet truly knows what works best for them, so unless you know Jimbo and what makes him tick, then you should lay off the criticism; this is a support group isn't it?

I would respectfully disagree. Most people don't have the will power to go cold turkey. They think they have to give up sugar, alcohol, carbs, junk food, etc to lose weight, then they start to struggle immediately, make themselves miserable, and then throw in the towel and binge on everything.

You say you are giving up booze "until you reach your target weight". Will you be able to magically control how much you drink once you get to that weight? Or will you start drinking more than you intended and eating more and gain the weight back?

The folks who are disagreeing with his method have lost a lot of weight by slowly but surely learning how to eat the stuff they are always coming in contact with in moderation. And watching a lot of people come here feeling like failures because they can't "give up" the things they think they have to. They aren't giving him a hard time - they are trying to help him succeed.

Some folks do have success giving something up and then adding it back in slowly to learn how to eat less of it, but most people I know never succeed at the giving up part in the first place. Many Americans are overweight because they think they have to do something dramatic to lose weight and they can't. Some people honestly don't know that you don't HAVE to give up anything. Letting him know isn't criticism, it's support.

OP, good luck to you. I would never be able to give up alcohol and added sugar, it would make me miserable. If it works for you, that's awesome. If it doesn't, please don't give up. Read the stickie posts in the different MFP forums and keep going :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    Do you have to have a reason to want to eliminate added sugar from your diet? OP is asking for advice from people who have done the same thing.. not peoples $.02 about why he doesnt need to do it.

there is nothing wrong with a moderate consumption of sugar. If OP is doing it for a medical reason then that is one thing; however, going on a sugar detox because one believes that sugar is poison, causes weight gain, the devil, etc, etc, is a misinformed position and the reasoning behind said choice should be flushed out.

and last time I checked it is an open forum and people are free to post, ask questions, comment as they see fit.

He never said sugar was poison... its his body, he can decide what he doesnt want to put in it. He was asking for input from people doing the same thing... not for a bunch of people to chime in against it...

So what the point of saying how you did no added sugar when OP finds it hard on day 2? And it is not necessary unless OP has a medical condition.

Because i was providing SUPPORT which the OP asked for. So you're telling me that I shouldn't eliminate added sugar from my diet unless its medically necessary?

This is spot on.

Outside of a medical condition, there are plenty of reasons that someone might want to give up sugar (namely, refined sugar) and/or alcohol. I haven't touched a drink in months, because I hate the way it makes me feel. I get bloated; I feel lethargic; frequently, my workout the next day ends up being total crap. Is that a medical condition? No. Is it a health and wellness consideration? Abso-f*cking-lutely.

That doesn't mean that I'm gonna start soapboxing about how this is the 'be-all, end-all' solution and that we should all abstain from alcohol, but I (and, presumably, the OP) expect the same respect in turn.

I think OP is looking for help with abstaining from alcohol and sugar (let his reasons be his - it's his body, his health, and his lifestyle), not a bunch of people protesting and talking about how they refuse to give up wine/beer.

why torture yourself with a sugar detox when it is completely and totally unnecessary??

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

This is spot on.

Because when he does have some sugary stuff, he won't be able to control himself and end up binging and most likely gaining everything back plus more. Learn moderation now, little by little and more sustainable.
  • ryanrieb
    ryanrieb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

This is spot on.

Because when he does have some sugary stuff, he won't be able to control himself and end up binging and most likely gaining everything back plus more. Learn moderation now, little by little and more sustainable.

I have to disagree. Only he can determine that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Anyone can change a habit IF THEY ARE WILLING to. It takes time, but like anything else repetition helps. Lots of people hate getting up in the morning early for work, but even on days off it's not uncommon to still get up at that time out of habit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Yesterday I started my 3 week minimum challenge to cut out all food that has added sugar in and also alcohol. It is only day 2 and I am already finding it tough. Has anyone else out there cut out sugar from their diet/lifestyle that can offer any tips?

you finding it hard to cope with or difficult to implement ?

You chose to cut out "added sugar" which is fairly straightforward if you don't buy any processed foods or restaurant meals and cook from scratch without adding sugar.

Same question, as it will affect what tips I'd give.

I did it for a bit because I thought it would help with emotional eating (I found what actually helped more was cutting out snacking and just eating at planned meals). I didn't find it too hard, except that I had to get out of the habit of eating at various times--which is why I ended up thinking the issue for me was snacking. I don't really eat much sugar at mealtimes (unless I choose to have dessert) and don't drink anything sugary or add sugar to coffee, though. I think if you were used to sweetened coffee or tea and didn't like it otherwise that would be the toughest.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I started my 3 week minimum challenge to cut out all food that has added sugar in and also alcohol. It is only day 2 and I am already finding it tough. Has anyone else out there cut out sugar from their diet/lifestyle that can offer any tips?

In order to be successful at this you are going to have to adjust your life in support of this elimination, which may mean new friends, new habits, etc. I wish you luck.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Not everybody has the discipline to go that route; in fact, most people don't. Why do you think most American's are over weight? Once they pick up that first donut, chip, beer, or whatever -- it is very difficult to stop until they've gone WAY beyond what can be called moderation.

I don't agree with this. I think most people do have the ability to learn moderation, and that most Americans are immoderate not because they can't be, but because they don't want to be or simply are in denial about how many calories they are consuming with their various high calorie foods.

I actually think it's destructive to tell yourself that if you eat a particular food you CAN'T exercise control, which doesn't mean that you need to eat it. Part of why I got fat is because I ate lots of stuff I didn't even care about that much, they were just around and tasted pretty good and I felt like eating something or taking a break or distracting myself or wanted an excuse to sit and talk to a friend or whatever. So certainly I would agree that stopping the overconsumption of sweets (and whatever else you overconsume) can be a helpful way to cut calories.

And it might be helpful to teach yourself that you can live without those foods all the time, which is what was valuable to me about cutting them out for a while, as well as simply changing some habits.

But the idea that we are helpless if we consume sugar because dopamine (which is a normal effect we get from eating, sex, petting kittens, anything else we find pleasurable) is not a good way to approach it, IMO.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Anyone can change a habit IF THEY ARE WILLING to. It takes time, but like anything else repetition helps. Lots of people hate getting up in the morning early for work, but even on days off it's not uncommon to still get up at that time out of habit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This. And I agree with smaller steps to help reduce intake instead of cutting everything cold turkey. Find good swaps like replacing a sugar filled snack with another snack you enjoy but with less added sugar (tons of options like cheese, greek yogurt, hummus and veggies, etc).

As for alcohol, I know I drink when stressed, and I use it to relax after a long day of work. Not the best option, and usually a good workout is far more effective for stress relief than alcohol ever is.

ETA: That said, I personally have not cut out added sugar or alcohol and enjoy both in moderation. Find what works for you and helps you reach your goals.
  • jimbopolo
    jimbopolo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Morning all, Thanks for keeping this going. My end game is not to give up added sugar and never drink again as I really enjoy both. The reason for going cold turkey at the moment is that I can be easily influenced with alcohol, chocolate/sweets and fast food and when I start I loose control very easily and it picks up momentum. My end game would be to be able to control myself a lot more and be able to have everything in moderation and with exercise have a balanced lifestyle.

So I suppose the real issue I have to tackle is self control which i have no Idea where to start, so if anyone has a method or process I would be more then willing to try. I am on Day 4 now and I am feeling a bit better though I still have a craving for something unhealthy which will pass. I have discovered that I actually like a few more fruits and vegetables that I didn't know before so this exercise in abstaining has not been complete waste of time.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Morning all, Thanks for keeping this going. My end game is not to give up added sugar and never drink again as I really enjoy both. The reason for going cold turkey at the moment is that I can be easily influenced with alcohol, chocolate/sweets and fast food and when I start I loose control very easily and it picks up momentum. My end game would be to be able to control myself a lot more and be able to have everything in moderation and with exercise have a balanced lifestyle.

So I suppose the real issue I have to tackle is self control which i have no Idea where to start, so if anyone has a method or process I would be more then willing to try. I am on Day 4 now and I am feeling a bit better though I still have a craving for something unhealthy which will pass. I have discovered that I actually like a few more fruits and vegetables that I didn't know before so this exercise in abstaining has not been complete waste of time.

I do this every now and then with coffee, alcohol, etc. Just going a month without and seeing if I feel any different or pushing myself to another level.
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I did whole30 in Jan (no processed sugar/processed foods) and lost about 5 lbs. The thing I took away that I like is I crave sugar less, and am more aware of hidden sugar (ie. in salsa for example, some brands add it some don't). I figure if I'm going to have empty calories, why not have them in something I'm really going to enjoy rather than just snuck in to processed foods. I love my fruit and would not give up on the natural/whole foods. I think it is good to experiment with whatever makes you feel good/making choices that are nourishing that ultimately prevent you from overeating due to nutritional deficiency.
  • ErMHa
    ErMHa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do this, too, periodically. It feels good to know that you -can-. In terms of a process, I took a [nutrition] class earlier this year and one of the things they stressed was drinking enough water. I had never done this. Maybe you are already drinking enough water, but doing so has helped me to understand when I'm actually hungry vs. when I'm thirsty and just -feel- hungry. Nothing crazy but I strive for the 8 glasses a day, starting in the morning. xcalygrl mentions meal prep, and this goes for snacks, too. If you have a healthy snack prepped ahead of time (before you're ravenous), you can reach for it. Get rid of tempting food and drink that you have at home, for now, while you're working this out. Good luck!
  • jimbopolo
    jimbopolo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thats true, I have always been good in the water luckily so that does keep the snacking at bay and a healthy snack near by. When i know i can learn to control my snacking then I can start reintroducing alcohol and sugar strictly back in. Though processed foods wont be coming back and also limiting takeaways to 1-2 a month as a treat.
  • leeann1317
    leeann1317 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just did this for 3 weeks in June (and then friends came to stay with me and it was ice cream city). I think it really helps, and OP is great for going for it.

For me, sugar is a trigger food. If I stay away from it, I don't really crave it. But if I eat it, it's an avalanche of cravings for me. So, for people like me, moderation might work, but it'll look different than moderation for others. Like OP, I think processed sugar treats (not fruit, of course) a couple of times a month is about what I can handle.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Personally, my road to moderation of sweets started by getting it out of the house, and then once a week (or less), I'd allow myself one treat (in the case of alcohol, it was 1-3 beers one night at the bar). As for sweets, I went to a really good gelato place that weighs out exactly 3oz of product (they do it for product control, but great for me). I came to appreciate what an actual serving is, and learned to love quality and unique flavors over volume of something that was just ok.

Once I had a handle on actual portion size, I started trying to keep it around the house and only having a serving every now and then when I could make it work with my calories. I still have issues sometimes, but I'm a lot better.

Also, it helped that I lived alone at the time, so I didn't have to accommodate roommates or family wanting treats around the house.