How do I keep it down?!

Options
So I was having some trouble keeping the weight down. Someone recommend upping my protein intake to 40%. So I did. Well, I gained nearly everything back in a 2 week span! I was talking to a friend and he said that high protein is good for body builders but not necessarily me.
Money is tight. My family had been eating spagetti, ramen and pb&j. I'm worried about eating too much carbs. So I switched to a breakfast shake with a small scoop of protein powder, for a small extra boost.

Does anyone have food recommendations?

Also, I can't seem to find a workout that helps me . It's either too intense or too easy.

Any recommendations for that?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    get your calorie deficit sorted first, and then worry about macros - if you're not losing weight its because you're eating too much...

also, I'd go with the 'too intense' workout - just do what you can. its meant to be hard, that's why its called a workout, not an easyout!
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    For workouts... youtube Fitness Blender. They have a ton of videos for everything. From easy to intense, and for cardio, strength, total body, as well as targeted body parts. You're bound to find some that suit you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you are gaining it is an excess of calories not protein. Protein along with resistance training helps preserve muscle while losing fat...otherwise you are losing both.

As for workouts not required for weight loss, just a calorie deficit.

If you want a good one find one you will do consistently....saying too intense or too easy is a cop out...

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you eat within your calorie goal you'll keep your weight down. You may or may not feel better eating fewer carbs but carbs and protein are both 4 calories per gram so eating equal amounts of one versus the other is not necessarily going to change how much fat you're carrying.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Some good inexpensive forms of protien include eggs, yogurt, nuts, beans, tuna. Lots of people plan weekly meals and freeze them to save money. (Things like lasagna and chicken enchiladas with very little cheese are our favorites)

Glad you are experimenting with exercise. Walking is always a great place to start.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So I was having some trouble keeping the weight down. Someone recommend upping my protein intake to 40%. So I did. Well, I gained nearly everything back in a 2 week span! I was talking to a friend and he said that high protein is good for body builders but not necessarily me.
    Money is tight. My family had been eating spagetti, ramen and pb&j. I'm worried about eating too much carbs. So I switched to a breakfast shake with a small scoop of protein powder, for a small extra boost.

Also, I can't seem to find a workout that helps me . It's either too intense or too easy.

You watch your calories

like you do when you're losing weight but set to maintenance

You don't need huge amounts of protein .. 0.64g per lb bodyweight more than adequate as a minimum

carbs won't make you put on weight, unless you went low-carb and messed with your natural glycogen stores hence water weight will return
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

For you ( Like I know what I am talking about ) Start buy veggies, they come in a bag, usually $1.00 to $2.00
    Eat a full bag w/ every meal. A bag is about 200 calories, with little to no carbs.

That should help with bringing down the weight.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

For you ( Like I know what I am talking about ) Start buy veggies, they come in a bag, usually $1.00 to $2.00
    Eat a full bag w/ every meal. A bag is about 200 calories, with little to no carbs.

That should help with bringing down the weight.

can you specify what veg has little to no carbs in?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Canned veg can be low cal and cheap. Beans (dried) and rice are also very very cheap. Cheaper than ramen. I keep a massive bag of frozen broccoli in the freezer as well. Protein powder is quite expensive.. don't know how you're getting by with that.

Weight gain has to do with eating too many calories. I can eat 40% protein or 10% protein and gain weight if I'm not weighing and logging my food.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're eating spaghetti, can you switch to whole-grain/whole wheat pasta? It's not that much more than regular spaghetti (I get it for about $1.25 for a box of whole-grain rotini at Kroger/Target - I just watch sales) and while it can be a calorie-sucker, I throw some cooked chicken on top and it's pretty filling.

Check Pinterest for cheap/healthy family recipes. There are some really good ideas over there.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want but stay within the calorie goal set by MFP.

Exercise? Go for a brisk walk.