Vacation and Food?!?!

Options
Hi! I'm going on a 5 day cruise this weekend and I'm so nervous about eating! Like there's so much food on board (I heard) and I want to stay on track...help!!!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I go on vacation I eat what I want, when I want.

It's vacation.

But if you are concerned just be aware of what you have learned so far...lean proteins and fats keep you feeling fuller longer, don't eat until stuffed, eat what you want in moderation.

Move around the ship, take in some sports etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When I went to Disney, I gained 7 lbs in a week... It's vacation and I am eating all the food I can!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,167 Member
    Options
    I started here mid-Feb with a goal to lose as much weight as I could on a NET 1250 cal diet by mid-June ... 4 months. I didn't really have a weight number in mind until I got to about mid-May and knew what would be possible.

I stuck firmly to that goal and lost 15 kg. :)

And then, mid-June ... I went on holidays. :smiley:

While I was gone, I ate whatever I wanted to eat, and lots of it. But I also exercised a whole lot. In 3 weeks, I cycled about 390 km, including riding a century one day (161 km = 100 miles). I walked about 64 km, including a 9.5 km hike to the top of a mountain. And I went sea kayaking!

Losing the weight prior to going on holiday allowed me to do those things much more easily than I would have if I had not lost the weight.

I hoped I would not gain more than 5 kg, and I estimated that I might gain 2.5 kg, which would be all right. The day after I arrived home, I had gained 2.5 kg, but the next day (this morning) I have already lost 0.5 kg so I think some of that was water weight. A total gain of 2 kg is not bad at all. :) And since mid-Feb, I have still lost 13 kg.

Now I'm taking a couple weeks to ease back into it again, and in a couple week's time, I'll be back onto a NET 1250 cal diet until the end of September when I'll reassess the situation.

Enjoy the cruise. Enjoy the food. But don't go too crazy with it. And get as much exercise as you can. :)

Then get back on track when you return.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    When I went to Disney, I gained 7 lbs in a week... It's vacation and I am eating all the food I can!

and probably 1/2 to most of it was water weight! How quick did you drop that weight once you got back to normal life?

I usually gain between 10-20 lbs on a vacation. Once I get back home, within about 2 weeks I'm back to normal.

My advice - eat what you want and have fun, but don't just eat because you can! Make every choice worthwhile and if you take a couple of bites of something that you decide you don't want, quit eating it and move on to something yummier. In my experience, food that I used to LOVE when I was overweight, I just don't care for much anymore. So, the first time I went on vacation and decided to cut loose, the first few meals were real disappointments because my tastes changed - hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. just don't do it for me anymore. Now, I'd rather eat a nice steak, fish, or grilled chicken, then splurge on all the desserts and alcohol I can manage to stuff into my face!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »

and probably 1/2 to most of it was water weight! How quick did you drop that weight once you got back to normal life?

I usually gain between 10-20 lbs on a vacation. Once I get back home, within about 2 weeks I'm back to normal.

My advice - eat what you want and have fun, but don't just eat because you can! Make every choice worthwhile and if you take a couple of bites of something that you decide you don't want, quit eating it and move on to something yummier. In my experience, food that I used to LOVE when I was overweight, I just don't care for much anymore. So, the first time I went on vacation and decided to cut loose, the first few meals were real disappointments because my tastes changed - hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. just don't do it for me anymore. Now, I'd rather eat a nice steak, fish, or grilled chicken, then splurge on all the desserts and alcohol I can manage to stuff into my face!

That was actually my post water weight adjusted number. I actually gained 10 lbs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I gained 7 in march while in Jamaica...lost 4 of it the first 2 weeks.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday and the food/drinks on offer. It's only 5 days so most, if not all, of any weight gain will be water and glycogen. As long as you get back to your deficit when you get back, this will disperse just as quick as it arrived.
  • macielsuazo
    macielsuazo Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Thanks so much... I live in The Caribbean and I'm going to a resort next week for 5 days. This have help me tons.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've never been on a cruise but I've heard stories about the endless food. oy... :open_mouth: However, you might find that your tastes have changed some since you've been on this new way of eating. I still like my chocolate but for some reason I don't want to eat as much of it as before. Haven't trusted myself with potato chips yet, but I'm hoping it will be the same for those. So maybe when faced with an endless dessert table you won't want to eat too much of it. Definitely have some though because when will you be on a cruise again?

Not sure if you drink alcohol, but if you do maybe that's a good place to cut down on for the cruise? I was shocked to discover how many calories are in one glass of wine and I'm sure if I was on a lovely ship, sitting in a nice deck chair, watching the water go by that I could easily drink a couple of glasses. So I think I would try to cut down on that, maybe make a wine seltzer, etc.

Also, you can walk the ship every day, and I think these cruises often have actual exercise classes too. Maybe even a gym? I'd try to take advantage of those things.

But in the end I wouldn't turn down something really yummy just because "I'm on a diet". Like I said, when will you be on a cruise again? It's vacation, not just going out for happy hour after work. The after-work time is the time to say "no thanks" to things that don't fit into your calorie count for the day, not on a vacation.

p.s., I'll be going to the beach for a week in mid-July and I will absolutely be getting those boardwalk fries, and ice cream. Maybe even every day. lol
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Just because food is available everywhere doesn't mean you have to eat it. Why you go to the grocery store, you don't buy everything in the store, do you? Take a look at the options that are available, pick the thing you want, and eat it in moderation.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My advice - eat what you want and have fun, but don't just eat because you can!
    Ugh this can be hard to follow but so necessary! You end up stuffing yourself and you're like "wait, this is good? i feel like crap!" Then you end up stuffing yourself again chasing that old feeling you thought you got from binging but it's not there. A vicious cycle.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Don't take seconds or finish large portions, and make sure to work out. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have done 2 cruises while losing weight and maintaining my weight, both times I gained weight, both times I lost the weight. ;)

Have fun and walk a lot. :)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    You are correct. There will be a ridiculous amount of food available to you 24/7...I cruise quite a bit. The good news is that LOTS of options are healthy, if that is what you are leaning towards. Most cruises have the "european" style salad bar which includes no cheese and there is always fish and baked options. There are also work out facilities and tracks on the boat, so you can always work off that cheesecake from dinner. ;) have fun!!!
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's a vacation, live a little. Like others have said, take what you've learned and apply it to your meal selections.
    And get back on the grind when you get back. Don't go HAM, but apply flexible dieting. Have a nice vacation! :)
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have cruise every year since 2006. My lifestyle change happened in 2011.

My tips:
    Alcohol or dessert (not both, my last cruise I didn't even drink a drop of alcohol)
    Do every activity under the sun (I snorkle at every stop or hike)
    3 meals and no snacks
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    There are also excursions, fitness facilities, and lots of other activities that don't involve eating. Chances are you won't feel well and won't enjoy your vacation if you overeat anyways, so know your limits.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I also eat a lot on vacations and try not to worry about it. I went on my first cruise last year, it was fantastic! I suggest grabbing a few pieces of fruit in the mornings so you can always keep a healthy snack in your room.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Last year I went to Orlando for a week and came home 7 lbs heavier after eating like an absolute cow (and loving every minute of it). Four of those pounds was gone within a week, so that was just water retention. The other three pounds were real weight, as I expected after eating 6000+ calories per day and not doing much exercise for seven days), but even they dropped pretty quickly after I got home and got back on track.

This year I had a 4-day vacation in Atlanta, tracked and tried not to go too crazy, but still ate about 3000-4000 calories per day. I came home 4 pounds heavier and it took about two weeks for me to get back to my pre-vacation weight - and that's while eating at maintenance. I didn't drop my calories at all.

The moral of this story? Go on vacation, enjoy yourself, and eat all the food. That's what vacations are for. People who travel a lot for work or whatever - that's a different story and they shouldn't use being away from home as an excuse to eat like crazy. However, most people only get 1-2 vacations per year, if we're lucky, and there's no reason to worry about calories/macros, the scale, etc. You likely won't do nearly as much damage as you think you will. Just know that at least half of what you gain will be due to water retention, so don't flip out.
  • jwheez73
    jwheez73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm all for enjoying yourself on vacation, but I still think you have to do it in moderation! If you're going to be getting a lot of exercise while you're on your cruise then you're able to enjoy those bad foods a little more indulgently. The thing I loved most when I went on my cruise was all the fresh fruit that was available!! Just doing laps around the ship will make a huge difference in how much you're able to eat and not feel like crap afterwards. Enjoy your trip and have fun!! :smiley: