Questions!

Options
<3 I am back on track this time. My eating is going great, Herbalife shakes twice a day, water intake is great and i've been working out about 45min-1hr a day.

What kind of exercises do ya'll reccomend for fat burn?

I've been eating baked chicken (homemade seasoned w/ ms dash/garlic), frozen veggies, whole grain rice, boiled eggs, fruits, salads, turkey, herbalife shakes, egg whites..

Anything else that's healthy to add? I am trying to keep my calorie count around 1,000-1,200.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated! Thanks! -S

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how tall you are, but if you're not exceptionally short (under 5'1), and you're going to work out, you will want to increase your calorie count. At the very least, a woman around average height should be netting 1200 (meaning, if you exercise, you should subtract half of what you burn from the calories you've eaten to equal 1200). This limit is highly, highly encouraged in order to make sure you're getting the nutrition your body needs. In fact, MFP will not let you complete a log if you're netting under 1200 calories a day, as they consider any less to be unwise and potentially dangerous to your health.

As far as fat burn, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and heavy weights will get you a great calorie burn. However, eating at a deficit is what will get rid of fat. Exercise (in terms of "fat burn")is only a means of helping you achieve a greater deficit (but once again - net over 1200) and helping you maintain lean body mass while you eat on a deficit.

Diet wise, try and meet your macros. It looks like you've got a good amount of protein in your diet. Make sure you're getting a good amount of healthy fats and some carbs in there, too.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    With only 5 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for a goal of 1/2 lb weight loss per week. I agree with ManiacalLaugh, that 1200 calories/day sounds low.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Agree with comments above. We have a whole diet industry now that says you need to keep calories really low to lose weight. It's rubbish. Make sure you are getting enough for you - depending on current weight, height, activity level.

Everyone's different, but don't fall for the "don't eat to lose weight" lie. You can lose weight with "big calories". I am 5'8, currently 224lbs, Net calories of 1820 per day. I am losing 1.5 - 2lbs per week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is my standard advice:

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

FYI - you need to net at least 1200 calories and you should not be eating below that number..unless you are really short...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Spices! The Mrs. Dash stuff is wonderful, especially for people who are working on breaking a gigando salt habit. That's how I started! But there are so many more herbs and spices out there! Fresh herbs at the grocery store and spices online. Order them from places that do a lot of spice business, so there is turnover and it's always fresh. I like Penzeys and World Spice Market in Seattle. WSM has a nice book and starter kit with all the spices used in the cookbook. It's a great place to start.

Get creative with your food - there are so many yummy and healthy combinations!!

The shakes are fine if you like them, but if you get sick of them (like almost every single person who drinks them does), there are about a million other ways to eat low-cal and love what you eat.

If you want to burn fat, nothing beats swimming. Burns more calories than anything and it gives you cardio and resistance at the same time. IMO, it's the best exercise there is. It's also good for the soul. It clears your mind. It's very hard to think or ruminate when you're swimming. You just get to put your brain on hold for a while...kind of like meditating! If you don't know how, you can lean.

Good luck!!! :)
  • SamPanther_
    SamPanther_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Too little calories, you will crave and you will probably give up. Take a look at The Zone Diet