low carb thoughts?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Firm believer in low carb and moderate fat for quick and effective weight loss. There are many peer reviewed studies that document its safety and effectiveness. Good luck in your endeavor!

please post said studies..

as there are just as many showing high protein/moderate carb/moderate fat will do the same and/or outperform low carb...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Firm believer in low carb and moderate fat for quick and effective weight loss. There are many peer reviewed studies that document its safety and effectiveness. Good luck in your endeavor!

as there are just as many showing high protein/moderate carb/moderate fat will do the same and/or outperform low carb...

Here's some: http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/
  • ndj1979
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

Here's some: http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

I was not asking you, I was asking the person that referred to studies. but thanks..
  • ndj1979
    edited July 2015
    Options

I am assuming none of those studies controlled for protein ….
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options

Trying to be helpful. You've heard of helpful?

Yes, the protein levels are accounted for.
  • ndj1979
    edited July 2015
    Options

Trying to be helpful. You've heard of helpful?

Yes, the protein levels are accounted for.

please point out the macros for low carb and moderate carb groups
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Rocky_1975 wrote: »

Low carb cult members really like to parrot this link without reading the actual studies. Authority Nutrition is run by a someone who drank too much low carb kool-aid

You really don't like someone disagreeing with you, do you? Name calling is always helpful. Very nice.

I'm glad your high carb works for you. Power to you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    found this gem in the first study ..

Subjects on the low-carbohydrate diet lost significantly more weight than the subjects on the conventional diet at 3 months (P=0.002) and 6 months (P=0.03), but the difference in weight loss was not statistically significant at 12 months (P=0.27) (Table 3TABLE 3

so over 12 months was not significant...
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Correct. At 12 months they even out, give or take a few kilos. It's just up to 6 months that it out performs.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Correct. At 12 months they even out, give or take a few kilos. It's just up to 6 months that it out performs.

so then one is not superior to the other.

and I am still waiting for the macro breakdown
  • ndj1979
    Options
    study Design
    The two diet groups attended separate two-hour group-teaching sessions each week for four weeks, followed by monthly one-hour sessions for five additional months; all sessions were led by experts in nutritional counseling. Subjects received a diet-overview handout, instructional nutrition labels, sample menus and recipes, and a book on counting calories and carbohydrates.5 No specific exercise program was recommended. The subjects assigned to the low-carbohydrate diet were instructed to restrict carbohydrate intake to 30 g per day or less.6 No instruction on restricting total fat intake was provided. Vegetables and fruits with high ratios of fiber to carbohydrate were recommended.6 The subjects assigned to the low-fat diet received instruction in accordance with the obesity-management guidelines of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute,7 including caloric restriction sufficient to create a deficit of 500 calories per day, with 30 percent or less of total calories derived from fat.

^ I see noting about controlling for protein….
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There are 23 studies. I don't know which one that is.

Macros... Here is lecture on the Stanford study. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

The LCHF was started at about 55%F, 17%C, 28%P. The more moderate diets started at 42%C, 34%F, 24%P, and 50%C, 30%F, 20%P. The Low fat diet (Ornish) was 63%C, 20%F 17%P. The macros shifted a bit by 6 months. LCHF got up to 30% carbs, and the others gained fat with lowfat at about 57%.

Please remember that I never said one diet is superior to the other. I think I said that LCHF works for me. Low fat might work for others, and 30/30/40 might work for more. This works for me.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Macros... Here is lecture on the Stanford study. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

The LCHF was started at about 55%F, 17%C, 28%P. The more moderate diets started at 42%C, 34%F, 24%P, and 50%C, 30%F, 20%P. The Low fat diet (Ornish) was 63%C, 20%F 17%P. The macros shifted a bit by 6 months. LCHF got up to 30% carbs, and the others gained fat with lowfat at about 57%.

Please remember that I never said one diet is superior to the other. I think I said that LCHF works for me. Low fat might work for others, and 30/30/40 might work for more. This works for me.

why wasn't protein constant for all groups?
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

The most interesting element to this study is that the low carb group was limited to 30g carbohydrates, but no calorie restriction. The low fat group was eating at a 500cal deficit.

• ndj1979
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

The most interesting element to this study is that the low carb group was limited to 30g carbohydrates, but no calorie restriction. The low fat group was eating at a 500cal deficit.

if the LC group lost weight they were in a deficit. Not sure what your point is.
  • ndj1979
    Options

if the LC group lost weight they were in a deficit. Not sure what your point is.

and the study design says that instruction was given for 500 calorie deficit.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

True. I prefer other studies where calories were the same. They made the low-fat group calorie restricted in a few other studies.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

In this Stanford study, they followed diets from books: Atkins, Zone, Traditional (L.E.A.R.N), and Ornish. They vary in the amounts of protein called for. The other studies varied.
  • ndj1979
    Options

In this Stanford study, they followed diets from books: Atkins, Zone, Traditional (L.E.A.R.N), and Ornish. They vary in the amounts of protein called for. The other studies varied.

so the high carb group has the lowest protein intake and the low carb group has the highest protein intake….don't you think that skews the numbers? As protein is shown to increase tef which increases calories burned…
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

OP has a direct relation with Type 2. OP has a strong reason to go low carb as it decreases risk of type 2. Lyle would be a fine resource if she asked how to fix her butt.

You do realize that type 2 is not genetic right? So unless there is another issue, then its a non issue.

Op, i have tried lower carb (when i went paleo) and failed. I was always binging and could never stick with it. So if you dont feel its going to be a way of life, you will probably end up spinning your wheels.

I will agree that its one of many effective strategies to lose weight if you are in a deficit. But if you do decide to go low carb, make sure you research it first and figure out what is required. Its not just cutting carbs. You will need to increase fats.